From: John Slimick
Subject: Three small problems
Environment: clisp 2.30 on RH 8.0

(1) Is there no equivalent to the "meta-bracket" (']')
    in clisp?

(2) In clisp 2.30 running on RH 7.1 terminal mode input
    show where the corresponding left parenthesis is
    every time you enter a right parenthesis. Can this
    be turned on and off?

(3) What is the cl equivalent to prettyprint ?

Thanks in advance

john slimick
·······@pitt.edu

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: Three small problems
·······@jcs.upb.pitt.edu (John Slimick) writes:

> Environment: clisp 2.30 on RH 8.0
>
> (1) Is there no equivalent to the "meta-bracket" (']')
>     in clisp?

No.  However, if you use Emacs for editing, you can use the balanced
editing commands insert-parentheses and move-past-close-and-reindent
so your parens are always balanced.  Normally these are bound to M-(
and M-), but I bind them to [ and ], which is far more convenient (and
inspired by my having read about meta-brackets once).

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Carl Shapiro
·······@jcs.upb.pitt.edu (John Slimick) writes:

> (2) In clisp 2.30 running on RH 7.1 terminal mode input
>     show where the corresponding left parenthesis is
>     every time you enter a right parenthesis. Can this
>     be turned on and off?

Adding the following line to your ~/.inputrc should do the trick:

	set blink-matching-paren off

> (3) What is the cl equivalent to prettyprint ?

The PPRINT function should do what you want.

http://www.lispworks.com/reference/HyperSpec/Body/f_wr_pr.htm#pprint

  [1]> *print-pretty*
  [2]> (setq *print-pretty* nil)
  NIL
  [3]> (macroexpand '(with-input-from-string (stream "nil") (read stream)))
  (LET ((STREAM (MAKE-STRING-INPUT-STREAM "nil"))) (DECLARE (SYSTEM::READ-ONLY STREAM)) (UNWIND-PROTECT (PROGN (READ STREAM)) (CLOSE STREAM))) ;
  [4]> (pprint (macroexpand '(with-input-from-string (stream "nil") (read stream))))

  (LET ((STREAM (MAKE-STRING-INPUT-STREAM "nil")))
   (DECLARE (SYSTEM::READ-ONLY STREAM))
   (UNWIND-PROTECT (PROGN (READ STREAM)) (CLOSE STREAM)))

I hope this helps!