From: sj
Subject: Objects in XLISP ?
I'm using Nyquist, a music composition extension of XLISP. To this point I
have not needed Object Oriented Programing but now have problem where oo is
a good fit. My problem is that the XLISP docs are rather terse regarding
how to create/use new classes objects etc.  Does any one know of tuturials
or more detailed documentation in this regard ?

Thanks in advance
Steven Jones

Nyquist may be found at
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/music/web/music.software.html

From: Greg Menke
Subject: Re: Objects in XLISP ?
sj <·······@swbell.net> writes:

> I'm using Nyquist, a music composition extension of XLISP. To this point I
> have not needed Object Oriented Programing but now have problem where oo is
> a good fit. My problem is that the XLISP docs are rather terse regarding
> how to create/use new classes objects etc.  Does any one know of tuturials
> or more detailed documentation in this regard ?

XLISP is quite Common Lisp-like but its substantially non-compliant
with the spec.  If you stick with defstruct, you'll be able to achieve
quite a lot without fighting much with XLISP.  What part of your
project requires oo?

If you want to learn Common Lisp OO, I think its likely better to work
with CLISP/CMUCL or some of the free demo versions of the commercial
implementations.

Gregm
From: Paul O'Donnell
sj wrote:
> I'm using Nyquist, a music composition extension of XLISP. To this point I
> have not needed Object Oriented Programing but now have problem where oo is
> a good fit. My problem is that the XLISP docs are rather terse regarding
> how to create/use new classes objects etc.  Does any one know of tuturials
> or more detailed documentation in this regard ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Steven Jones
>
> Nyquist may be found at
> http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/music/web/music.software.html

Hi,

Someone suggested this free online book to me the other day. I have not
had a chance to read it yet, but I hear it is very good and it got good
reviews at amazon.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/

Paul
From: Matthew Danish
On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 11:00:00AM +0000, Paul O'Donnell wrote:
> sj wrote:
> > I'm using Nyquist, a music composition extension of XLISP. To this point I
> Someone suggested this free online book to me the other day. I have not
> http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/

This is a book for Common Lisp, whereas the OP is looking for
information on XLISP, which is a different language.  Hope that clears
up any possible confusion.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: sj
Matthew Danish wrote:

> This is a book for Common Lisp, whereas the OP is looking for
> information on XLISP, which is a different language.  Hope that clears
> up any possible confusion.

Yes I specifically need info on XLISP not Common Lisp.  XLISP implements OO
in a completely different manner than CLOS.  I could be wrong but I believe
XLISP pre dates Common Lisp by a few years.
From: Donald Fisk
sj wrote:

> Matthew Danish wrote:
>
> > This is a book for Common Lisp, whereas the OP is looking for
> > information on XLISP, which is a different language.  Hope that clears
> > up any possible confusion.
> >

> Yes I specifically need info on XLISP not Common Lisp.  XLISP implements OO
> in a completely different manner than CLOS.  I could be wrong but I believe
> XLISP pre dates Common Lisp by a few years.

I'm relying on memory here, but ISTR that XLisp's native OO
system was prototype-based, completely unlike CLOS (or even Flavors).
The rest of XLisp (or at least XLispStat) /was/ pretty close to
Common Lisp, and I managed to get Closette to compile and run
on XLispStat, so you can probably do this with a vanilla XLisp
without the statistical extensions.   So I'd recommend you use
Closette (the subset of CLOS that's developed in The Art of the
MetaObject Protocol) with XLisp.

Le Hibou
--
Dalinian: Lisp. Java. Which one sounds sexier?
RevAaron: Definitely Lisp. Lisp conjures up images of hippy coders,
From: sj
Donald Fisk wrote:

> sj wrote:
>>
>> Matthew Danish wrote:
>>
>> > This is a book for Common Lisp, whereas the OP is looking for
>> > information on XLISP, which is a different language.  Hope that clears
>> > up any possible confusion.
>> >

>> Yes I specifically need info on XLISP not Common Lisp.  XLISP implements
>> OO
>> in a completely different manner than CLOS.  I could be wrong but I
>> believe XLISP pre dates Common Lisp by a few years.
>
> I'm relying on memory here, but ISTR that XLisp's native OO
> system was prototype-based, completely unlike CLOS (or even Flavors).
> The rest of XLisp (or at least XLispStat) /was/ pretty close to
> Common Lisp, and I managed to get Closette to compile and run
> on XLispStat, so you can probably do this with a vanilla XLisp
> without the statistical extensions.   So I'd recommend you use
> Closette (the subset of CLOS that's developed in The Art of the
> MetaObject Protocol) with XLisp.
>
> Le Hibou

This is the first I've heard of Closette but from my brief excursions on the
net it looks like a good solution.  Truthfully I would rather spend my
efforts with the more common (no pun intended) CLOS then the arcane OO of
XLISP

Thanks for the advice
Steven Jones
From: see.signature
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:34:12 GMT, sj <·······@swbell.net> wrote:
>Donald Fisk wrote:
>
>> sj wrote:

>>> Yes I specifically need info on XLISP not Common Lisp.  XLISP implements
>>> OO
>>> in a completely different manner than CLOS.  I could be wrong but I
>>> believe XLISP pre dates Common Lisp by a few years.
>>
>> I'm relying on memory here, but ISTR that XLisp's native OO
>> system was prototype-based, completely unlike CLOS (or even Flavors).
>> The rest of XLisp (or at least XLispStat) /was/ pretty close to
>> Common Lisp, and I managed to get Closette to compile and run
>> on XLispStat, so you can probably do this with a vanilla XLisp
>> without the statistical extensions.   So I'd recommend you use
>> Closette (the subset of CLOS that's developed in The Art of the
>> MetaObject Protocol) with XLisp.

Please note that the original xlisp has a different object system than
xlisp-stat.  The xlisp-stats system is prototype based, but not the
system from xlisp.  Closette can be made working under xlisp-stat, but
it is a different thing under the original xlisp.

>> Le Hibou
>

>This is the first I've heard of Closette but from my brief excursions on the
>net it looks like a good solution.  Truthfully I would rather spend my
>efforts with the more common (no pun intended) CLOS then the arcane OO of
>XLISP
>
>Thanks for the advice
>Steven Jones

email: marc dot hoffmann at users dot whh dot wau dot nl
From: Donald Fisk
"see.signature" wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:34:12 GMT, sj <·······@swbell.net> wrote:
> >Donald Fisk wrote:

> >> I'm relying on memory here, but ISTR that XLisp's native OO
> >> system was prototype-based, completely unlike CLOS (or even Flavors).
> >> The rest of XLisp (or at least XLispStat) /was/ pretty close to
> >> Common Lisp, and I managed to get Closette to compile and run
> >> on XLispStat, so you can probably do this with a vanilla XLisp
> >> without the statistical extensions.   So I'd recommend you use
> >> Closette (the subset of CLOS that's developed in The Art of the
> >> MetaObject Protocol) with XLisp.
>
> Please note that the original xlisp has a different object system than
> xlisp-stat.  The xlisp-stats system is prototype based, but not the
> system from xlisp.  Closette can be made working under xlisp-stat, but
> it is a different thing under the original xlisp.

I was unaware of this.   However, my idea was to ignore the built-in
object system and just run Closette on top of the plain non-OO XLisp.
So the difference between XLisp and XLispStat's object system becomes
moot.   There may be some effort needed bridging the gap between
XLisp and Common Lisp, but there's a file called newcl.lisp which
comes with Closette and which should be helpful.   The only difficulty
I can see is if XLisp's package system is incompatible.

Le Hibou
From: see.signature
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:20:44 +0000, Donald Fisk
<················@enterprise.net> wrote:

>"see.signature" wrote:
>>
>> Please note that the original xlisp has a different object system than
>> xlisp-stat.  The xlisp-stats system is prototype based, but not the
>> system from xlisp.  Closette can be made working under xlisp-stat, but
>> it is a different thing under the original xlisp.
>
>I was unaware of this.   However, my idea was to ignore the built-in
>object system and just run Closette on top of the plain non-OO XLisp.
>So the difference between XLisp and XLispStat's object system becomes
>moot.   There may be some effort needed bridging the gap between
>XLisp and Common Lisp, but there's a file called newcl.lisp which
>comes with Closette and which should be helpful.   The only difficulty
>I can see is if XLisp's package system is incompatible.
>
>Le Hibou

You are right in pointing out that the specific object system to use is
not important when using closette.  What I also want to say is that
Xlisp-Stat is "more" conforming to common lisp than the original xlisp.
Xlisp-Stat has a relative conforming package system.  For the original
question of using closs for nyquist, a xlisp based system,  using
Xlisp-stat is not easy feasible.  There are differences in the byte
code compilers and interpreters, ffi libraries....  Nyquist is tightly
coupled to the original xlisp.

email: marc dot hoffmann at users dot whh dot wau dot nl
From: David Betz
I'll try to answer any questions you might have. Either post them here or
send them to me privately.

David Betz
·····@xlisper.mv.com

····························@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...