From: Jordon Hirshon
Subject: Help
How can I turn a string into a list of symbols? (Not a list of characters).

Thanks,
Jordon

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Help
"Jordon Hirshon" <·········@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> How can I turn a string into a list of symbols? (Not a list of characters).

* (map 'list (lambda (c) (intern (string c))) "Foobar")
(F |o| |o| |b| |a| |r|)

And there a couple of other ways to do this as well. But are you sure
you want/need this?

Edi.
From: Henrik Motakef
"Jordon Hirshon" <·········@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> How can I turn a string into a list of symbols? (Not a list of characters).

Well, depends on the exact semantics you want.

Anyway, look up the function INTERN in the hyperspec:

| * (intern "FOO")
| FOO
| NIL
| * (symbolp (intern "BAR"))
| *
| * (eq (intern "BAZ") 'baz)

And perhaps SPLIT-SEQUENCE may be useful, see
<http://www.cliki.net/split-sequence>.

hth
Henrik
From: Eduardo Muñoz
"Jordon Hirshon" <·········@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> How can I turn a string into a list of symbols? (Not a list of characters).

Something like this?

[12]> (let ((string "foo bar baz"))
         (read-from-string (concatenate 'string "(" string ")")))
(FOO BAR BAZ) ;
13

You may want to bind *print-eval*

--

Eduardo Mu�oz
From: Adam Warner
Hi Jordon Hirshon,

> How can I turn a string into a list of symbols? (Not a list of characters).

(loop for char across string collect (intern (string char)))

Regards,
Adam