From: Nils Kassube
Subject: Ufasoft LispStudio
Via the Lemonodor weblog, I've found yet another CL implementation
for Win32. Has anyone here experience with LispStudio?

    http://www.ufasoft.com/lisp/

Unfortunately, there is not much information on the web site.

From: Matthew Danish
Subject: Re: Ufasoft LispStudio
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 04:20:25PM +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Via the Lemonodor weblog, I've found yet another CL implementation
> for Win32. Has anyone here experience with LispStudio?
>     http://www.ufasoft.com/lisp/

It still has a long way to go, afaict.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: Christopher C. Stacy

 Matthew> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 04:20:25PM +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
 >> Via the Lemonodor weblog, I've found yet another CL implementation
 >> for Win32. Has anyone here experience with LispStudio?
 >> http://www.ufasoft.com/lisp/

 Matthew> It still has a long way to go, afaict.

I would not download a random .EXE onto my machine and try it out.
I never heard of the authors of this web site.
The fact that the web site has approximately NO INFORMATION
about the product is extremely suspicous.

The only thing I can tell about them are that the other programs
that you can download from their page appear to be advertised as
being network packet "sniffer" and some sort of "peer to peer
messaging system".

Running "strings" over their downloadable Lisp doesn't yeild
anything clues that it looks like a Lisp system; on the other
hamd, nothing in there seems overtly suspicous, either.

I'm just scared to run random binaries handed to me by
people I don't know.
From: Ng Pheng Siong
According to Christopher C. Stacy <······@dtpq.com>:
> I'm just scared to run random binaries handed to me by
> people I don't know.

Even with a personal firewall, a virus scanner (updated regularly), and a
filesystem integrity checker?

I'm still looking for the last one, btw. (Not that I boot into Windows that
much, and I can AIDE /dos on the Unix side.)

Hmmm, how about throwing in something like VMware or Bochs and run said
random binary in a "jail"?

--
Ng Pheng Siong <····@netmemetic.com> * http://www.netmemetic.com
From: Christopher C. Stacy

 Ng> According to Christopher C. Stacy <······@dtpq.com>:
 >> I'm just scared to run random binaries handed to me by
 >> people I don't know.

 Ng> Even with a personal firewall, a virus scanner (updated
 Ng> regularly), and a filesystem integrity checker?

None of those things will do anything to protect you
from an arbitrary executable program.

 Ng> I'm still looking for the last one, btw. (Not that I boot into
 Ng> Windows that much, and I can AIDE /dos on the Unix side.)
 Ng> Hmmm, how about throwing in something like VMware or Bochs and
 Ng> run said random binary in a "jail"?

Is that something that runs on Windows?
From: Steven M. Haflich
Christopher C. Stacy wrote:

>  Ng> Hmmm, how about throwing in something like VMware or Bochs and
>  Ng> run said random binary in a "jail"?
>
> Is that something that runs on Windows?

See <www.vmware.com>.  It is a virtual machine implementation which
can run a windows os in a secure virtual environment that can't
touch local disks or the outside world.  I played with it a little
once, and it does do the job.
From: Jock Cooper
"Steven M. Haflich" <·················@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
>
> >  Ng> Hmmm, how about throwing in something like VMware or Bochs and
> >  Ng> run said random binary in a "jail"?
> > Is that something that runs on Windows?
>
> See <www.vmware.com>.  It is a virtual machine implementation which
> can run a windows os in a secure virtual environment that can't
> touch local disks or the outside world.  I played with it a little
> once, and it does do the job.

It can run on Windows or Linux, and the virtual box can also run either
Windows or Linux.  I played with it at home and I was able to do a network
debian install to a vmware virtual box no problem.

I have been using it at work for testing.  I have a few virtual W2k
boxes I can run under Linux.   When you end a vmware session you can commit
or discard the changes.  I've been really happy with it.  There is a
downloadable demo which isn't crippled and runs for (I think) 30 days.
From: Kaz Kylheku
"Steven M. Haflich" <·················@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:<·······················@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
> Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
>
> >  Ng> Hmmm, how about throwing in something like VMware or Bochs and
> >  Ng> run said random binary in a "jail"?
> >
> > Is that something that runs on Windows?
>
> See <www.vmware.com>.  It is a virtual machine implementation which
> can run a windows os in a secure virtual environment that can't
> touch local disks or the outside world.  I played with it a little
> once, and it does do the job.

There is also plex86 (I think it was formerly called freemware; then
changed its name for obvious reasons).
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/plex86

I used VMWare quite a bit once upon a time to do some stress testing.
It was faster to run 20 Windows NT processes using 20 copies of NT
running on Linux via VMWare, than to actually run 20 processes on one
non-virtualized NT.
From: Ng Pheng Siong
According to Christopher C. Stacy <······@dtpq.com>:
>  Ng> According to Christopher C. Stacy <······@dtpq.com>:
>  >> I'm just scared to run random binaries handed to me by
>  >> people I don't know.
>
>  Ng> Even with a personal firewall, a virus scanner (updated
>  Ng> regularly), and a filesystem integrity checker?
>
> None of those things will do anything to protect you
> from an arbitrary executable program.

Devoid of context, nothing protects against an arbitrary executable.

I thought we're talking about a new CL binary-only vendor?

> Is that something that runs on Windows?

Others have followed up on vmware.

These ones are open source; there are surely yet others:

  http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

From: Christopher C. Stacy

 Ng> According to Christopher C. Stacy <······@dtpq.com>:
 >>
 Ng> Even with a personal firewall, a virus scanner (updated
 Ng> regularly), and a filesystem integrity checker?
 >>
 >> None of those things will do anything to protect you
 >> from an arbitrary executable program.

 Ng> Devoid of context, nothing protects against an arbitrary executable.

 Ng> I thought we're talking about a new CL binary-only vendor?

We are talking about a random web page someone found,
not about anyone we can identify as being a legitimate vendor.

If you are willing to download and run programs from anyone
who says they have something you would like, I have some
screen savers I would like to sell you...
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:44:31 GMT, ······@dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy)
wrote:

> We are talking about a random web page someone found,
> not about anyone we can identify as being a legitimate vendor.

The Ufasoft product had been announced here about a year ago. See this
message:

  Subject: Ufasoft Lisp Interpreter
  Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:19:05 +1100

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README
From: Vlad S.
Nils Kassube <····@kassube.de> wrote in message news:<··············@darwin.lan.kassube.de>...
> Via the Lemonodor weblog, I've found yet another CL implementation
> for Win32. Has anyone here experience with LispStudio?
>
>     http://www.ufasoft.com/lisp/
>
> Unfortunately, there is not much information on the web site.

Well, you can download a 14-day trial edition. It seems to be an early
alpha release - CLOS isn't there, the interface is beastly (I mean
/beastly/ - the REPL has a one-line non-stretchable input area, no
parentheses balancing, and worst of all no way to interface to Emacs,
although it does let you load ".lsp" text files), there is no way that
I see to control the debugger (but it's ok - the break loop doesn't
seem to do anything besides changing the prompt), and the interpreter
seems pretty slow (the compiler is apparently disabled in the demo).
On the upside, the help file (there's only one) is the Hyperspec in
Windows help format, so if you've ever wanted one like that, now you
can have it.

Maybe some of these un-features are fixable once you register, as the
"Option" and "Debug" menu items are grayed out in the demo. Again,
there's a good part and a bad part to registering. The good part is
that the license key only seems to cost USD$49.99, and I don't see any
restrictions on executable distribution. The bad part is there is
nothing mentioned about future upgrades, and there is no contact
information other than the support e-mail and the forums (although
there's been a total of 3 postings about Lisp, and none of them have
been answered). I don't see anything about .Net anywhere, so it all
seems Win32 for now.

Nice enough start, but it won't be competing with Corman CL anytime
soon.