From: faust
Subject: Remarketing the language ( was Re: ....ADA ? One silly idea..)
 "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <······@cogeco.ca> ,  emitted these fragments:

>Maybe what needs to be done is to form a brand new committee, to design
>a spashy new language that basically implements the same features, with
>similar syntax (but not too obviously).

Arc is trying that now.
Paul Graham is redesigning lisp .

>Then give it a splashy new name
>after a popular young female (no programmer experience required), and
>call it something like "Shania".

From a brief search on google ( I must apologize for my shocking
ignorance of celebrities, female or male ) "Echo and the Bunnymen" and
"Dusty Vladimir Horowitz " sound like excellent candidates :-)

--
natsu-gusa ya     / tsuwamono-domo-ga / yume no ato
summer grasses / strong ones          / dreams site

Summer grasses,
All that remains
Of soldier's dreams
(Basho trans. Stryk)

From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
faust wrote:
>  "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <······@cogeco.ca> ,  emitted these fragments:
>>Maybe what needs to be done is to form a brand new committee, to design
>>a spashy new language that basically implements the same features, with
>>similar syntax (but not too obviously).
>
> Arc is trying that now.
> Paul Graham is redesigning lisp .

This doesn't sound like a good start to me, if it is based upon
lisp, (but keeping an open mind), do you have a link for this?

>>Then give it a splashy new name
>>after a popular young female (no programmer experience required), and
>>call it something like "Shania".
>
> From a brief search on google ( I must apologize for my shocking
> ignorance of celebrities, female or male ) "Echo and the Bunnymen" and
> "Dusty Vladimir Horowitz " sound like excellent candidates :-)

Well, I don't much pay attention to "popular stuff", but the following
link might explain what first came to my mind ;-)

http://www.shania-twain.com/

I can't say I know anything about "Dusty", and don't really get the
connection to "Echo and the Bunnymen". Perhaps I'm showing my
own cultural ignorance ;-)

--
Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg
From: Edi Weitz

 <http://www.paulgraham.com/arc.html>
From: faust
 "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <······@cogeco.ca> ,  emitted these fragments:

>> From a brief search on google ( I must apologize for my shocking
>> ignorance of celebrities, female or male ) "Echo and the Bunnymen" and
>> "Dusty Vladimir Horowitz " sound like excellent candidates :-)
>
>Well, I don't much pay attention to "popular stuff", but the following
>link might explain what first came to my mind ;-)
>
>http://www.shania-twain.com/

A Twain driver ?

>I can't say I know anything about "Dusty", and don't really get the
>connection to "Echo and the Bunnymen".

I am not sure who they are either.
They just sounded like the most unmarketable names :-)

Ada is such a wimpy name.
Old eighteenth century woman....

From: Fraser Wilson
faust <·······@optushome.com.au> writes:

> Ada is such a wimpy name.
> Old eighteenth century woman....

I don't follow.

Fraser.
(but just in case, my new language is going to be called Butch, after a
twenty-first century truck driver)
From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
"Fraser Wilson" <··········@blancolioni.org> wrote in message
··················@FWILSON.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-shoot-me...
> faust <·······@optushome.com.au> writes:
>
> > Ada is such a wimpy name.
> > Old eighteenth century woman....
>
> I don't follow.

The first programmer to suffer from major hardware problems :-)

http://www.mathnews.uwaterloo.ca/BestOf/WomenInMath7103.html

---
Geoff