From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: anyone know anything about LW's FLI convert-to-foreign-string?
Unless I am badly confused, convert-to-foreign-string got left out of
the LW FLI doc.

I see convert-to-dynamic-foreign-string, but that's all.

If there is such a creature, anyone know the doc for
convert-to-foreign-string?

tia

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc

From: Kenny Tilton
Never mind, still learning LW IDE, just noticed that "documentation"
menu item. :) kt

From: Kenny Tilton
Never mind "never mind". :)

Anyone know if convert-to-foreign-string really just returns the
pointer, and not the length allocated, which can vary according to the
external format.

But other fli string functions do return the length, so mebbe
convert-to-foreign-string is meant For Internal Use Only(tm)?

kt

From: Paul Tarvydas
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Never mind "never mind". :)
>
> Anyone know if convert-to-foreign-string really just returns the
> pointer, and not the length allocated, which can vary according to the
> external format.

I don't know the answer, but maybe you can get a clue by typing in an
expression containing "with-foreign-string" (documented as a macro), then
hit expression>>macroexpand.  Then take the result and macroexpand it,
again.  I see something that is tantalizingly suggestive when I see this.

pt
From: Kenny Tilton
Paul Tarvydas wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>

>>Never mind "never mind". :)
>>
>>Anyone know if convert-to-foreign-string really just returns the
>>pointer, and not the length allocated, which can vary according to the
>>external format.
>

> I don't know the answer, but maybe you can get a clue by typing in an
> expression containing "with-foreign-string" (documented as a macro), then
> hit expression>>macroexpand.  Then take the result and macroexpand it,
> again.  I see something that is tantalizingly suggestive when I see this.

Thx, Paul. Yeah, I did a /lot/ of macroexpanding over the past week. :)
Problem with what you found (convert-to-dynamic-foreign-string) is that
it expects to be run within the larger with-dynamically-allocated-
something-or-other and I was looking to convert and hold a c-string
until a window got closed.

[aside to chris: thx, hanging onto that c-string did help make
resister-class work under ACL so that the class was still findable by
the time createwindow got called. aside to jeff: and switching off
unicode made LW's window title come out clean. nothing i could think of
could get ACLs window title to come out right. or the client messages]

might have been able to fake with-dynamically-etc, and come to think of
it, I could have used the dynamic converter just to get the length,
but... but that issue was not even the core problem.

right now I am looking at going back to open source C frameworks like
GLUT and OpenRM so I can control both parties to the conversation.
OpenRM looks like it adds value as well, being mainly a scene graph
manager which happens also to offer a GLUT-like framework. Sadly still
requiring callbacks, but the doc says that can be avoided.

we'll see. OpenRM and (Free)Glut would also bring X11 for free (ie,
two-three weeks of head-banging torture).

:)