From: Fatfreek
Subject: List within list?
Variable ListOfLists looks like this:
("NamesListAll1" "NamesListAll2" "NamesListAll3" etc)

I can then place a string into NamesListAll1 by the following:

(set (read (nth 0 listoflists))"Just a string")

However, instead of a string, I want a list inside NamesListAll1 -- such as
("Mary" 13.7) -- but I don't know how to do it.

I'm tearing out what little hair I have on this one.  Any tips?

Len Miller

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: List within list?
Fatfreek wrote:

> Variable ListOfLists looks like this:
> ("NamesListAll1" "NamesListAll2" "NamesListAll3" etc)
>
> I can then place a string into NamesListAll1 by the following:
>
> (set (read (nth 0 listoflists))"Just a string")
>
> However, instead of a string, I want a list inside NamesListAll1 --
> such as
> ("Mary" 13.7) -- but I don't know how to do it.
>
> I'm tearing out what little hair I have on this one.  Any tips?

Why shouldnt'

	(set (intern (first list-of-lists)) '("Mary" 13.7))

work?

BTW.  I see signs of Perlite compounded by Tcl syndrome, aggravated by
Rubyella in the example above.

Are you sure that is what you want to do? :)

Cheers

marco
From: Fatfreek
My apology, Marco.

I actually wish to have NamesListAll1appear as (("Mary" 13.7)("Josh"
0.9)("Susan" 855.3) etc).  Therefore, I wish to CONStruct these two-item
lists as I proceed.

Further apology -- this is AutoLISP I am working in but I'm at my wits end.
I've appealed in Autocad's customization forum with no response so far.
Len

······················@typhoon.nyu.edu...

From: Kaz Kylheku
"Fatfreek" <········@ZAPCAPSarkansas.net> wrote in message news:<······················@arkansas.net>...
> Variable ListOfLists looks like this:
> ("NamesListAll1" "NamesListAll2" "NamesListAll3" etc)
>
> I can then place a string into NamesListAll1 by the following:
>
> (set (read (nth 0 listoflists))"Just a string")

What? The Common Lisp READ function requires a stream argument.
Perhaps you want:

  (set (read-from-string (nth 0 listoflists)) "Just a string")

which is pretty awful. You are parsing a string at run time to produce
an interned symbol, and then modifying its SYMBOL-VALUE.

> However, instead of a string, I want a list inside NamesListAll1 -- such as
> ("Mary" 13.7) -- but I don't know how to do it.
>
> I'm tearing out what little hair I have on this one.  Any tips?

I'm tearing out my hair trying to fathom what you are trying to
accomplish here, and in what strange Lisp dialect.