From: Steven Jones
Subject: Abuse
Where can a self-confessed newbie to Lisp find some basic info on it.
I have downloaded the Windows version of the game Abuse, and would
like to try editing it.  As many of you on this NG are probably aware,
all of the behavior code in Abuse is written in Common Lisp.

From: Zachary Beane
Subject: Re: Abuse
In article <····························@posting.google.com>, Steven
Jones wrote:
> Where can a self-confessed newbie to Lisp find some basic info on it.
> I have downloaded the Windows version of the game Abuse, and would
> like to try editing it.  As many of you on this NG are probably aware,
> all of the behavior code in Abuse is written in Common Lisp.

It's not Common Lisp, it's a toy lisp written by Jonathan Clark, Boy
Wonder. Learning Common Lisp will probably help you understand it, but
there won't be a strict one to one relationship.

I found "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programming" by
Abelson and Sussman to be very helpful in grasping certain concepts
common in Lisp-like languages (closures, data-directed programming,
compilation, object-orientation as a programming style, not as a
language builtin, etc).

I also liked "ANSI Common Lisp" by Graham; it gave a concise
introduction to Lisp, with exercises and a few good examples (in one
chapter he builds a simple object system from the ground up).

"Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming" by Norvig shows
good examples of larger applications; he introduces a problem and goes
through several iterations of solutions, pointing out potential
pitfalls and opportunities for improvement along the way.

"Common Lisp: The Language" is very readable and covers everything.

Zach
From: Larry Clapp
Jones wrote:
> Where can a self-confessed newbie to Lisp find some basic info on
> it.  I have downloaded the Windows version of the game Abuse, and
> would like to try editing it.  As many of you on this NG are
> probably aware, all of the behavior code in Abuse is written in
> Common Lisp.

You could start at www.lisp.org.  CormanLisp.com allows
free-for-personal-use downloads of their Lisp compiler for Windows.

--
Larry Clapp / ·····@theclapp.org
Use Lisp from Vim: VILisp: http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=221

On Wed, 11 Feb 2003, Steven Jones wrote:

> Where can a self-confessed newbie to Lisp find some basic info on it.
> I have downloaded the Windows version of the game Abuse, and would
> like to try editing it.  As many of you on this NG are probably aware,
> all of the behavior code in Abuse is written in Common Lisp.

I found that there are enough free tutorials/books available free
online to get started with common lisp before purchasing a book.

You can do what I did to get started; use google, search with phrases
like "lisp tutorial", "lisp online book", or similar phrases.

#. "Successful Lisp", an online book.  (Looks good for beginners.)
http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/contents.html

#.  I particularly like "Basic Lisp Techniques" by David Cooper.
Postscript is linked to from several places, e.g.,
http://www.franz.com/resources/educational_resources/
and other places.

#.  The short primer by Colin Allen & Maneesh Dhagat seems to be
mirrored in many places, e.g.,
http://grimpeur.tamu.edu/~colin/lp/

#.  Many more tutorials & primers --
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/milhous/lisp.htm
http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~gfisher/classes/330/handouts/lisp-primer/lisp-primer.html
http://www.fast-index.com/declarative/lectures/

#.  "Loving Lisp", book by Mark Watson, online.
http://www.markwatson.com/opencontent/

#.  Once you're at a more advanced stage, you might try to delve into
"On Lisp", by Paul Graham, which he has made available online.

#.  A collection of online resources appear at
http://www.cliki.net/Online%20Tutorial
http://www.cliki.net/Document

Good luck, and have fun!

Masud

If anyone needs to send me email in person, masud1011 is
the username, at yahoo,D0T,com.
Ph.D. Student, Dept of Physics & Astronomy (Rutgers, NJ)
From: Björn Lindberg
Masud Haque <·····@not.real.address> writes:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2003, Steven Jones wrote:
>
> > Where can a self-confessed newbie to Lisp find some basic info on it.
> > I have downloaded the Windows version of the game Abuse, and would
> > like to try editing it.  As many of you on this NG are probably aware,
> > all of the behavior code in Abuse is written in Common Lisp.
> >

> I found that there are enough free tutorials/books available free
> online to get started with common lisp before purchasing a book.

<snip great links>

Another web available book is "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to
Symbolic Computation". I am going through it right now, so I don't
know how it compares to other books.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/

Bj�rn

--
War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
Iraq            500,000