From: Ivan Tomek
Subject: book?
Hi,

I will be teaching introductory LISP in September and I am looking for a
suitable textbook (that is not out of print). What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Ivan

From: Larry Clapp
Subject: Re: book?
In article <················@acadiau.ca>, Ivan Tomek wrote:
> I will be teaching introductory LISP in September and I am looking
> for a suitable textbook (that is not out of print). What would you
> recommend?

I enjoyed both Winston & Horn's _Lisp_, 3rd edition, and Paul Graham's
_ANSI Common Lisp_.  I found W&H a bit more readable; otoh Graham came
out more recently.

Please, make sure you tell your students about Xanalys's downloadable
copy of the Common Lisp HyperSpec.

If they like Emacs, please tell them about ILisp.  If they like vi or
Vim, and run (or can run) Linux (or some other OS that supports
FIFOs), my sort-of rip-off of ILisp, VIlisp, may come in handy (see
.sig).

Please, also mention lisp.org, where they can probably get many of their
newbie questions answered before they come here.

Apologies if you knew all this already ...

--
Larry Clapp / ·····@theclapp.org
Use Lisp from Vim: VILisp: http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=221

Thanks Larry.

Ivan

From: Bill Clementson
Ivan Tomek <··········@acadiau.ca> writes:

> I will be teaching introductory LISP in September and I am looking for
> a suitable textbook (that is not out of print). What would you
> recommend?

IMO, the two best introductory books on Common Lisp are:

* Object-Oriented Common Lisp by Stephen Slade
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0136059406/qid=1044658191/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-3538929-5428049?v=glance&s=books

* ANSI Common Lisp by Paul Graham
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0133708756/qid=1044658191/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/002-3538929-5428049

They are both good books but have very different styles, so it would be
worthwhile to get a copy of each to see which you prefer.

If you decide to use the Paul Graham book, you might want to look at the
CS325 class material on the Northwestern University site. They also use
the Graham book and have on their site:

1. Notes about some of the chapters in the book:
http://www.cs.nwu.edu/academics/courses/c25/readings/graham/graham-notes.html

2. Selected exercises from the book:
http://www.cs.nwu.edu/academics/courses/c25/exercises/graham-exs.html

3. Two utilities (bug-finder and lisp critic) that are useful:
http://www.cs.nwu.edu/academics/courses/c25/exercises/critic.html

The main CS325 page is at:
http://www.cs.nwu.edu/academics/courses/c25/

If you don't need to have a tree-based book, there are a number of lisp
introductions available. Some of them are listed at:
http://www.cliki.net/Online%20Tutorial

Hope that helps.

--
Bill Clementson
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:20:27 -0400, Ivan Tomek <··········@acadiau.ca>
wrote:

> I will be teaching introductory LISP in September and I am looking for a

Be sure to check the Dynamic Learning Center:

  http://www.dynamiclearningcenter.com

Paolo
http://www.paoloamoroso.it/ency/README