From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Subject: Asm simulators/emulators?
Does anyone know of a good simulator/emulator in which I can
experiment with asm?  Some things Duane Rettig has mentioned make me
curious about testing stuff out, and I'd like a fairly abstract system
that doesn't ask me to learn too many magical incantations so I can
get straight to the asm.

Ideally I could cut & paste examples, and build on them.  Of course, I
realize the world isn't ideal.

So far:

- PC SPIM (MIPS simulator, Windows version)
I've tried cutting & pasting the examples in the docs, then accepting
the default starting address.  Either they don't parse, or I get this
weird infinite looping exception thing.

- High Level Assembler (Randall Hyde's wrappers around x86)
Looks very well documented, and I'm soon testing it.  The only
question I have is whether x86 is necessarily a good starting point.
A post by Thomas Burdick mentions it's nicer to start out with an
architecture like MIPS or PowerPC.

- some MIX simulator (Knuth's platform, soon obsoleted by MMIX)
Well, the entire existence is for teaching/learning.  I don't know
whether the CISCness is bad.  Looks like good visual tools for the
Windows platform, but I haven't given it a spin yet.

- Win32Forth
Someone recommended this, but I suspect it's not what I'm looking for.
 It appears fixated on a stack, which I don't want to treat as
primitive.

Maybe comp.arch is the appropriate place for this question, but I've
searched for all the times people have asked a similar thing, and no
one responded.  Maybe here's not the right place either, but I suspect
this might be interesting to some.

Danke sch�n. �

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Asm simulators/emulators?
Helu

* (Tayssir John Gabbour) in <····························@posting.google.com> :

| Does anyone know of a good simulator/emulator in which I can
| experiment with asm?  Some things Duane Rettig has mentioned make me
| curious about testing stuff out, and I'd like a fairly abstract system
| that doesn't ask me to learn too many magical incantations so I can
| get straight to the asm.

Its not clear, but if you like the SPARC instruction set, heres a link
to an old emulator for that:

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~maccabe/tkisem/begin.html

"Tkisem is an instructional emulator for version 8 of the SPARC
 instruction set with a GUI based on Tcl/Tk. The name is a
 concatenation of tk and isem.

 Tkisem was designed to be used in teaching the fundamentals of
 computer systems. The goal is to provide an environment where
 students can run SPARC programs ranging from simple calculations
 intended to illustrate the SPARC instruction set, to interrupt
 handlers intended to illustrate the principles of device
 management/communication."

--
Regards
Madhu
From: Edi Weitz
On 27 Dec 2003 23:26:48 -0800, ···········@yahoo.com (Tayssir John Gabbour) wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good simulator/emulator in which I can
> experiment with asm?  Some things Duane Rettig has mentioned make me
> curious about testing stuff out, and I'd like a fairly abstract
> system that doesn't ask me to learn too many magical incantations so
> I can get straight to the asm.

Did you try <http://www.ziplib.com/emu8086/>?

Edi.