From: Jeff Katcher
Subject: Anyone Running Portable AllegroServe on CMUCL 18e FreeBSD?
I'm having a problem getting Portable AllegroServe 1.2.5a to run in my
environment (FreeBSD 5.2/CMUCL 18e).  Specifically I load a defsystem
(tried 3.2 and 3.3) and then load INSTALL.lisp.  Everything looks good
until I try to start the server.

Typing: (aserver-example::start-server :port 2001)
Returns: #<Process aserve-example {48F458BD}>

About two seconds later, it prints "Invalid number of arguments: 1"

(MAPCAR 1 #<Function "DEFUN APPLY-WITH_BINDINGS" {48C15489}> NIL)[
:EXTERNAL]
Source: Error finding source:
Error in function DEBUG::GET-FILE-TOP-LEVEL-FORM: Source file no
longer exists: target:code/lisp.lisp

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Jeff Katcher

From: Jeff Katcher
Responding to my own message in any effort to diminish my own seeming
ignorance...

Calling START-SIMPLE-SERVER actually does start and run properly.
There must just be something funny with the documentation mention of
ASERVE-EXAMPLE::START-SERVER.

I'm quite pleased with AllegroServe as an example of elegant Lisp
software.  It installs cleanly and exports a nicely defined UI.  Do
other people like it as much?

Jeff Katcher
From: JP Massar
On 27 Dec 2003 18:03:20 -0800, ·········@yahoo.com (Jeff Katcher)
wrote:

>Responding to my own message in any effort to diminish my own seeming
>ignorance...
>
>Calling START-SIMPLE-SERVER actually does start and run properly.
>There must just be something funny with the documentation mention of
>ASERVE-EXAMPLE::START-SERVER.
>
>I'm quite pleased with AllegroServe as an example of elegant Lisp
>software.  It installs cleanly and exports a nicely defined UI.  Do
>other people like it as much?

It is indeed very nice and really does 'just work'.

So, yes.