From: Marc Battyani
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] the cl-pdf and cl-typesetting repositories are online
The long awaited repositories for cl-typesetting and cl-pdf are online! :)

Here they are:
http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/
http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-pdf/

These are subversion repositories. You can explore them with any browser but
you
need to get subversion (subversion.tigris.org) to do a checkout.

I'm trying to setup a viewcvs for a more user friendly interface but it does
not work so far as I get an error traceback instead of a repository view...

There are mailing lists if you want to discuss cl-pdf and cl-typesetting
development issues:

Marc

From: Henrik Motakef
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> These are subversion repositories. You can explore them with any
> browser but you need to get subversion (subversion.tigris.org) to do
> a checkout.

Actually, to "checkout" the head revision, something like wget or any
other recursive download tool is sufficient. You'll only get some
extra "index.html"s. It's just a problem to get specific revisions
without a subversion client; if the tagging-by-copying-to-a-dedicated-url
scheme recommended in the svn book is employed, even getting tagged
versions is no problem.
From: Friedrich Dominicus
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> The long awaited repositories for cl-typesetting and cl-pdf are online! :)
>
> Here they are:
> http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/
> http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-pdf/
>
> These are subversion repositories. You can explore them with any browser but
> you
> need to get subversion (subversion.tigris.org) to do a checkout.
Well I tried to check it out this is what happened:
 svn co http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/
svn: RA layer request failed
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/public/cl-typesetting'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/public/cl-typesetting': 409 Conflict (http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000)

Did not found any download instructions....

If you want to make them accessible it would be helpful to know how to
do that.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Marc Battyani
"Friedrich Dominicus" <·····@q-software-solutions.com> wrote
> "Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:
>
> > The long awaited repositories for cl-typesetting and cl-pdf are online!
:)

> > Here they are:
> > http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/
> > http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-pdf/
> >
> > These are subversion repositories. You can explore them with any browser
but
> > you
> > need to get subversion (subversion.tigris.org) to do a checkout.
> Well I tried to check it out this is what happened:
>  svn co http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/
> svn: RA layer request failed
> svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/public/cl-typesetting'
> svn: REPORT of '/svn/public/cl-typesetting': 409 Conflict
(http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000)

> Did not found any download instructions....
>
> If you want to make them accessible it would be helpful to know how to
> do that.

Hum...looking at the logs I see that only one user has got an error and it's
because he was using an old (0.23 ?) subversion version. So, if it's your
case, please upgrade and try again.

Marc
From: Friedrich Dominicus
"Marc Battyani" <·············@fractalconcept.com> writes:

> Hum...looking at the logs I see that only one user has got an error and it's
> because he was using an old (0.23 ?) subversion version. So, if it's your
> case, please upgrade and try again.
Yes that was me.
Interesting what "old" means it was compile in Jun/2003 ;-(, around
half a year ....

Ok will try with another version.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Gareth McCaughan
Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

[about Subversion]
> Interesting what "old" means it was compile in Jun/2003 ;-(, around
> half a year ....

They only guarantee compatibility between versions 0.a and 0.b
when |a-b| <= 1. In practice you can usually get away with much
bigger differences than that. Of course the intention is to be
a lot more stable once 1.0 is out. Real Soon Now. :-)

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Paolo Amoroso
Marc Battyani writes:

> The long awaited repositories for cl-typesetting and cl-pdf are online! :)
[...]
> These are subversion repositories. You can explore them with any browser but
> you
> need to get subversion (subversion.tigris.org) to do a checkout.

Given that subversion is still a bit tricky to build, and has complex
dependencies on other software, you might consider providing weekly,
or at least monthly, tarballs with the cl-pdf and cl-typesetting
sources.

Paolo
From: Marc Battyani
"Paolo Amoroso" <·······@mclink.it> wrote
> Marc Battyani writes:
>
> > The long awaited repositories for cl-typesetting and cl-pdf are online!
:)
> [...]
> > These are subversion repositories. You can explore them with any browser
but
> > you
> > need to get subversion (subversion.tigris.org) to do a checkout.
>
> Given that subversion is still a bit tricky to build, and has complex
> dependencies on other software, you might consider providing weekly,
> or at least monthly, tarballs with the cl-pdf and cl-typesetting
> sources.

I tried to setup viewcvs so that people can easily browse the repositories
and generate the tarballs they want.
But it does not work yet. Some kind of Apache2 config problem. :(

Marc
From: Michael Hudson
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> Marc Battyani writes:
>
> > The long awaited repositories for cl-typesetting and cl-pdf are online! :)
> [...]
> > These are subversion repositories. You can explore them with any browser but
> > you
> > need to get subversion (subversion.tigris.org) to do a checkout.
>
> Given that subversion is still a bit tricky to build,

The client isn't, really.  You do seem to need to update it fairly
often, but the "./configure; make; make install" dance works.  People
I trust tell me the stories about the server component are justified,
but I haven't tried it myself.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Two things I learned for sure during a particularly intense acid
  trip in my own lost youth: (1) everything is a trivial special case
From: John DeSoi
Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> Given that subversion is still a bit tricky to build, and has complex
> dependencies on other software, you might consider providing weekly,
> or at least monthly, tarballs with the cl-pdf and cl-typesetting
> sources.

I don't know anything about subversion except that it uses WebDAV. So in
OS X, I just opened the Connect to Server dialog and pasted the URL:

http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/

This mounts this URL like a network drive and you can just copy the
files using the Finder. You should be able to do the same on Windows
using Web Folders. There are also other free clients at
http://www.webdav.org.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:09:59 GMT, John DeSoi <··@icx.net> wrote:

> I don't know anything about subversion except that it uses
> WebDAV. So in OS X, I just opened the Connect to Server dialog and
> pasted the URL:
>
> http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/
>
> This mounts this URL like a network drive and you can just copy the
> files using the Finder. You should be able to do the same on Windows
> using Web Folders. There are also other free clients at
> http://www.webdav.org.

Oh, yes, good idea. As I've just written and tested a WebDAV server
for a client of mine here are some other ways I know of to connect to
the server:

In KDE's Konqueror:

  <webdav://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/>

In Windows XP you can "connect network drive" (or whatever it's
called) and enter the URL from above:

  <http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/>

If subversion offers write access to the WebDAV repository with plain
authentication you must make sure to "connect as a different user" in
Windows before you enter your username and password.

The native XP client is flaky and the "Web Folders" way which comes
with Windows 2000 and recent versions of MS Office doesn't offer full
integration with the OS. If you have older Windows versions or plan to
use WebDAV a lot I'd recommend to get the WebDrive client from:

  <http://www.webdrive.com/>

Cheers,
Edi.
From: Paolo Amoroso
John DeSoi writes:

> I don't know anything about subversion except that it uses WebDAV. So
> in OS X, I just opened the Connect to Server dialog and pasted the URL:
>
> http://www.fractalconcept.com:8000/svn/public/cl-typesetting/
>
> This mounts this URL like a network drive and you can just copy the
> files using the Finder. You should be able to do the same on Windows
> using Web Folders. There are also other free clients at

Cool, it works. I have used cadaver under Linux.

Paolo