From: Friedrich Dominicus
Subject: pathname question
I have different behaviour between LispWorks and CMUCL on logical
pathnames and I wonder what is the "correct" thing.

Assume the following pathname declaration:
(setf (logical-pathname-translations "tmp")
                  '(("**;*.*" "/tmp/**/*.*")))

Lispworks and CMUCL do not disagree with this:
(translate-logical-pathname "tmp:t1")
#P"/tmp/t1"

but CMUCL breaks on
(translate-logical-pathname "tmp:.t1")

Parse error in namestring: Expecting a file name, got #\..
  tmp:.t1
      ^
   [Condition of type COMMON-LISP::NAMESTRING-PARSE-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT] Return to Slime toplevel.
  1: [ABORT] Return to Top-Level.

LispWorks feels fine about it:
CL-USER 9 > (translate-logical-pathname "tmp:.t1")
#P"/tmp/.t1"

SBCL feels fine with both versions.

Is it a bug in CMUCL?

Regards
Friedrich
From: JP Massar
Subject: Re: pathname question

>but CMUCL breaks on
>(translate-logical-pathname "tmp:.t1")
>

>Is it a bug in CMUCL?

I'd say yes.

I can't find anything in the Hyperspec to indicate
that a name component of a logical pathname namestring must be
present in this (or any) circumstance.