From: Marc Battyani
Subject: cl-typesetting news
[Resent as it didn't show up after 6 hours]

The latest cl-typesetting example is here:
http://www.fractalconcept.com/ex.pdf
It has not changed very much. The latest new stuff is the cl-pdf code128
barcode. (Thanks to Lars Rustemeier, it will be in the next cl-pdf release.)

I have not been able to find any time to work on it recently. I thought
others could help on this (You know, that Open Source theory...) but no.
So this is yet another call for contributors.
I naively assumed that there would be a correlation between interest to use
and interest to contribute. This is why I have been rather disappointed to
see the huge difference between the number of interested emails and posts on
the subject and the number of  people who sent me some contribution (only 1)
or bugs/portability problems (only 2). :(

[I will now try some marketing tricks]

Here are some reasons why should you contribute to cl-typesetting:

-You like to write Common Lisp code.

-You want to show Pythonistas that Lispniks can write code.

-You want to show that Lisp does not need static typing

-You want to show that Lisp does not need to be purely functional

-You want to show that Common Lisp is not slow

-You want to show that macros are great

-You want to show that CLOS is great

-You what to show that Lisp is much better than C#, Java, Arc, Haskell,
Visual Basic, Python, Cobol, Fortran, Z80 assembly, Turing machines,
Mathematica, Scheme, C/C++, Forth, ML, Dylan, Logo, VHDL, Postscript, Pascal,
Modula, Prolog, Curl, XML, sh, Ruby, Ada, Javascript, etc.

-You want to do something useful

-You like TeX and would like to have a better one.

-You hate TeX and want something better and usable.

-You hate Word.

-You hate both.

-You hate HTML and want something better.

-You like HTML and want to see it rendered it correctly.

-etc.

[I probably missed some more obvious ones...]

Well now that you agree with a lot of these reasons, here are some things
needed by cl-typesetting. Contact me if you are interested. (This list is not
exhaustive.)

-User friendly syntaxes above the core syntax layer. (TeX syntax emulation,
 markup languages, alternative languages like Scribble, etc...)

-Completing the tables. (multipage support, more options for the cells, cell
styles, etc.)

-Completing the math mode and adding standard math-syntaxes (TeX, mathML)

-Adding commands for things like lists, enumerated lists, choosing the
 hyphenation language, etc.

-Improving the styles handling (paragraph, titles styles etc.)

-Adding higher level processing functions like tables of content, indexes,
 sections/subsections numbering, etc.

-Adding stuff for easily defining page dimensions, headers, footers, margins,
etc.

-Completing and improving the core typesetting engine. (multi-lines
 hyphenation, rivers, grid-mode, etc.)

-Native integration and improvement of the cl-pdf charts (pie, histogram,
lines, etc.)

-Making a stand alone executable so that non-lispers can use it.

-Making a typesetting server (webservice ?) so that non-lispers can use it.

-etc.

If you have other ideas, send them to me.

Marc