From: Joel Smith
Subject: OT: Open Genera Auction
Hello,

I know this is a little offtopic so I apologize!

Unfortunately for me and fortunately for someone else ;) I was marginally
outbidded in Pascal's Open Genera auction. I just wanted to inquire to see
if anyone else is interested in selling a second-hand copy of Open Genera? I'm
quite desperate to get my hands on it but I really can't afford the $5000 for
a new copy from Symbolics.

By the way, is there any word from Symbolics on the idea of porting Open Genera
to the G5? I think I came across a rumour on Rainer's site concerning this.
Does anyone have any definite news on this matter?

Happy Hacking,

Joel.

From: plamen
Subject: Re: OT: Open Genera Auction
Joel Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know this is a little offtopic so I apologize!
>
> Unfortunately for me and fortunately for someone else ;) I was marginally
> outbidded in Pascal's Open Genera auction.

For which I apologize - the bidding could have been a bit more
reasonable for everybody if that was not my first attempt on ebay :)

I just wanted to inquire to see
> if anyone else is interested in selling a second-hand copy of Open Genera? I'm
> quite desperate to get my hands on it but I really can't afford the $5000 for
> a new copy from Symbolics.

I would be also very interested.

Happy Hacking :)
Plamen Stamov
From: Joel Smith
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 16:19:22 +0000, plamen wrote:

> Joel Smith wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know this is a little offtopic so I apologize!
>>
>> Unfortunately for me and fortunately for someone else ;) I was
>> marginally outbidded in Pascal's Open Genera auction.
>
> For which I apologize - the bidding could have been a bit more
> reasonable for everybody if that was not my first attempt on ebay :)

Not too worry. I will live, I think!!! ;-)

> I just wanted to inquire to see
>> if anyone else is interested in selling a second-hand copy of Open
>> Genera? I'm quite desperate to get my hands on it but I really can't
>> afford the $5000 for a new copy from Symbolics.
>
> I would be also very interested.
>
> Happy Hacking :)
> Plamen Stamov

Joel.
From: PatrickG
Joel Smith <·····@mobyfoo.org> wrote in message news:<··················@lotis>...
> Hello,
> By the way, is there any word from Symbolics on the idea of porting Open Genera
> to the G5? I think I came across a rumour on Rainer's site concerning this.
> Does anyone have any definite news on this matter?

My understanding is that it is a question of funding.

Symbolics doesn't have the cash to do it.

I asked Dave Schmidt about a port to the Opteron; I assume that the
case with the G5 is the same.
From: Kent M Pitman
·······@zill.net (PatrickG) writes:

> Joel Smith <·····@mobyfoo.org> wrote in message news:<··················@lotis>...
> > Hello,
> > By the way, is there any word from Symbolics on the idea of
> > porting Open Genera to the G5? I think I came across a rumour on
> > Rainer's site concerning this.  Does anyone have any definite news
> > on this matter?
>
> My understanding is that it is a question of funding.
>
> Symbolics doesn't have the cash to do it.
>
> I asked Dave Schmidt about a port to the Opteron; I assume that the
> case with the G5 is the same.

People often read these things as closed doors, so let me restate this.
Presumably if someone had the funding and/or even the time and energy,
they are free to approach him with a proposal that would be mutually
beneficial to both parties.  No guarantee that it would succeed, but
sometimes I think these things fail for no one bothering to try...
From: Christopher Browne
In the last exciting episode, ·······@zill.net (PatrickG) wrote:
> Joel Smith <·····@mobyfoo.org> wrote in message news:<··················@lotis>...
>> Hello,
>> By the way, is there any word from Symbolics on the idea of porting Open Genera
>> to the G5? I think I came across a rumour on Rainer's site concerning this.
>> Does anyone have any definite news on this matter?
>
> My understanding is that it is a question of funding.
>
> Symbolics doesn't have the cash to do it.
>
> I asked Dave Schmidt about a port to the Opteron; I assume that the
> case with the G5 is the same.

I suspect that if the question were phrased somewhat similarly to...

  "If we were prepared to spend $2M on licenses, would it be likely to
   happen?"

that the answers might conceivably change.

I can't see them selling a lot of Alpha-based licenses, these days,
but I can't see them regarding it as valuable to spend valuable cash
on a port absent of some likelihood of seeing a goodly bunch of cash
flow in.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/multiplexor.html