From: Jay Osako
Subject: Whither Arc?
Did Paul Graham ever actually release a version of Arc? He's mentioned
that they've used an early version to write a spam-filter, but they
apparently wanted to perfect the implementation before going public
with it. Graham's web site hasn't been updated in over a year. Has
anyone seen the latest version, and is available for public scrutiny?
How does it compare to existing LISPs as a language? How well does it
work as an implementation? Have they published a standard, a manual,
or even a README file, yet? Or is this just another case of
high-flying dreams that have come crashing down?

This is doubly of interest to me since I have in mind another sort of
alternative implementation, a system language which could be described
as the LISP equivalent of Slang (the low-level subset of Squeak used
to implement garbage collection, bytecode interpretation, etc. for the
full language). If he's having problems with his design, then mine,
which is in some ways similar, may be ill-founded as well.

From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Re: Whither Arc?
His intention seems to be to only release it as soon as he thinks it's
stable. This might take a while.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
···············@web.de        Institute of Computer Science III
From: Michael Sullivan
Jay Osako <······@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Did Paul Graham ever actually release a version of Arc? He's mentioned
> that they've used an early version to write a spam-filter, but they
> apparently wanted to perfect the implementation before going public
> with it. Graham's web site hasn't been updated in over a year. Has
> anyone seen the latest version, and is available for public scrutiny?
> How does it compare to existing LISPs as a language? How well does it
> work as an implementation? Have they published a standard, a manual,
> or even a README file, yet? Or is this just another case of
> high-flying dreams that have come crashing down?

He's still working on it, but is being less public about the details
than at the very beginning.  He doesn't want to release anything until
he feels the basic design is stable.  I wasn't there, but he apparently
spoke about ARC at the lastest Lisp conference a couple months ago, so
it's definitely still a going project.  No clue what the ETA is on an
initial release, though.

Michael