From: chenyu
Subject: newbie quesion: franz lisp emacs setting
Hi everyone,
I have installed the "franz lisp" 6.2 version and try to use GNU emacs
20.7 as its input and output. But the setting doesn't work. When I
entry "alt-m:common-lisp" in emacs, the result is always "no match"

According to the manual, I have set as follows:
1. set the "HOME" variable, the value is "C:\Program
Files\acl62-trial\eli\examples".
   when I entry "alt-m:common-lisp" in emacs, one file named
".saves-1968-ETECH058~" will be created in the above "eli/examples"
directory. Therefore I think the 1st step is correct.

2. Modify the "emacs.el" file in the "examples" directory, the content
is as follows,

3. refer to the "comp.lang.lisp" archives, I have add two line into
the file
"
(setq fi:common-lisp-image-name "mlisp.dxl")
(setq fi:common-lisp-directory "C:/Program Files/acl62-trial/")
(setq fi:common-lisp-host "etech058")
"

Could you help me to solve the problem?

Thank you in advance.
kind regards/chenyu

;; A sample ~/.emacs file.
;;
;; $Id: emacs.el,v 1.7.24.1 2001/05/30 20:10:54 layer Exp $

(defvar *eli-directory*)

(setq *eli-directory* (expand-file-name "C:\\Program
Files\\acl62-trial\\eli\\"))

(when (and (not (string-match "xemacs" emacs-version))
	   (= emacs-major-version 20)
	   (<= emacs-minor-version 2))
  (setq load-path (cons *eli-directory* load-path)))

(load (format "%sfi-site-init" *eli-directory*))

(setq fi:common-lisp-image-name "mlisp.dxl")
(setq fi:common-lisp-directory "C:/Program Files/acl62-trial/")

(setq fi:common-lisp-host "etech058")

;; This function starts up lisp with your defaults.
(defun run-common-lisp ()
  (interactive)
  (fi:common-lisp fi:common-lisp-buffer-name
		  fi:common-lisp-directory
		  fi:common-lisp-image-name
		  fi:common-lisp-image-arguments
		  fi:common-lisp-host
                  fi:common-lisp-image-file))

;; Set up a keybinding for `run-common-lisp', two possible ways:
(progn
  (setq ctlx-3-map (make-keymap))
  (define-key ctl-x-map "3" ctlx-3-map)
  (define-key ctlx-3-map "l" 'run-common-lisp))
;; or this:
(define-key global-map "\C-xl" 'run-common-lisp)

;; Run cl each time emacs is run:
(run-common-lisp)

From: Martti Halminen
Subject: Re: newbie quesion: franz lisp emacs setting
chenyu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have installed the "franz lisp" 6.2 version and try to use GNU emacs
> 20.7 as its input and output. But the setting doesn't work. When I
> entry "alt-m:common-lisp" in emacs, the result is always "no match"

Funny keybindings you have. I haven't tried on the latest version, but
it used to be Alt-x fi:common-lisp, using your terminology (M-x
fi:common.lisp in normal emacs terminology).

- As a historical nitpick, the program is Franz Allegro Common Lisp.
Franz Lisp (whatever the correct capitalization was) is quite another
thing: a pre-CL Lisp which used to be part of BSD Unix distributions.

From: chenyu
Martti Halminen <···············@kolumbus.fi> wrote in message news:<·················@kolumbus.fi>...
> chenyu wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> > I have installed the "franz lisp" 6.2 version and try to use GNU emacs
> > 20.7 as its input and output. But the setting doesn't work. When I
> > entry "alt-m:common-lisp" in emacs, the result is always "no match"
>

> Funny keybindings you have. I haven't tried on the latest version, but
> it used to be Alt-x fi:common-lisp, using your terminology (M-x
> fi:common.lisp in normal emacs terminology).

Sorry, it is alt-x

From: Kenny Tilton
chenyu wrote:

> Martti Halminen <···············@kolumbus.fi> wrote in message news:<·················@kolumbus.fi>...
>
>>chenyu wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone,
>>>I have installed the "franz lisp" 6.2 version and try to use GNU emacs
>>>20.7 as its input and output. But the setting doesn't work. When I
>>>entry "alt-m:common-lisp" in emacs, the result is always "no match"

I seem to recall someone from Franz saying here that it was Ok for users
of the freebee version to ask for help from their tech support (see your
doc for the email address). Mind you, answers readily found in the
copious on-line doc should be avoided, but I get the impression you are
indeed reading the doc.

Fair warning: I don't speak for Franz, so if they are unreceptive feel
free to blame me.

:)

kt

--