From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: ANN: guis-1.2 a GTK2 widget "server"
Dear all,

this is not specific to lisp, but should be of interest to lisp
coders.

I just released guis-1.2.

It is my pleasure to announce the availability of Guis, which is a
programmable graphical user interface widget "server".

Guis communicate with a (one) client application thru textual
communication channels; input requests (from application to guis) are
Python instructions (using the PyGTK binding to GTK2) and output
replies (or events) are arbitrary textual lines from Guis to
application (sent by Python code). There is a possibility to trace the
exchanges between application & guis (in a graphical window)

Guis is therefore a programmable (in Python) GTK2 widget server.

It could be useful for Lisp programs wanting to provide a graphical
interface. They could communicate with guis using a textual protocol,
and guis can be scripted to send back lisp s-expressions to the lisp
application.

Since several lisp implementations (eg CMUCL...) already use a
"companion widget server" technology I thought that guis could
interest Lisp coders and the lisp community.

Guis is an opensource software under GPL License.  See
http://www.starynkevitch.net/Basile/guisdoc.html for documentation on
Guis, and also http://freshmeat.net/propjects/guis/ and download
source code (with demo) from
http://www.starynkevitch.net/Basile/guis-1.2.tar.gz

Comments are welcome. (when sending email to me, be nice to leave a
guis word in the subject line).

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
8, rue de la Fa�encerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France