From: George Cox
Subject: Does this group have a FAQ?
Does this group have a FAQ?
Tia.
--
G.C.
Note ANTI, SPAM and invalid to be removed if you're e-mailing me.

From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Re: Does this group have a FAQ?
George Cox wrote:

> Does this group have a FAQ?
> Tia.

No, but you can take a look at http://www.lisp.org and
http://alu.cliki.net which do a similar job.

Pascal
From: Pascal Costanza
Pascal Costanza wrote:

> George Cox wrote:
>
>> Does this group have a FAQ?
>> Tia.
>

> No, but you can take a look at http://www.lisp.org and
> http://alu.cliki.net which do a similar job.

Sorry, obviously I have been mistaken - there seems to be a FAQ. See Edi
Weitz's reply.

Pascal
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 23:47:58 +0000 (UTC), George Cox <··············@SPAMbtinternet.com.invalid> wrote:

> Does this group have a FAQ?

New one:
  <http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html>

Old one:
  <http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups//AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html>

Edi.
From: George Cox
Edi Weitz wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 23:47:58 +0000 (UTC), George Cox <··············@SPAMbtinternet.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Does this group have a FAQ?
>
> New one:
>   <http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html>
>
> Old one:
>   <http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups//AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html>
>
> Edi.

Thanks.  Should I read both?

From: Paolo Amoroso
George Cox <··············@SPAMbtinternet.com.invalid> writes:

> Edi Weitz wrote:
[...]
>> New one:
>>   <http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html>
>>
>> Old one:
>>   <http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups//AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html>
[...]
> Thanks.  Should I read both?

I think so.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··············@plato.moon.paoloamoroso.it>,
 Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> wrote:

> George Cox <··············@SPAMbtinternet.com.invalid> writes:
>
> > Edi Weitz wrote:
> [...]
> >> New one:
> >>   <http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html>
> >>
> >> Old one:
> >>   <http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups//AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html>
> [...]
> > Thanks.  Should I read both?
>
> I think so.
>

> Paolo

The 'right' place for the FAQ would be the ALU CLIKI, IMHO.
From: Daniel Barlow
Rainer Joswig <······@lispmachine.de> writes:

> The 'right' place for the FAQ would be the ALU CLIKI, IMHO.

I agree.  THere is the beginnings of a Lisp FAQ on the ALU wiki, but

- I originally created it as a Lisp faq rather than a comp.lang.lisp
  FAQ, so it doesn't include all the usenet question ("what's on
  topic", "should I crosspost?", "what about binaries?", "jobs",)
  nor questions that are answered elsewhere on the site ("who uses
  lisp?" "where can I get a list of implementations")

- I decided it would be better to start from scratch with questions
  that are actually frequently asked.  Instead of copying stuff from
  the old FAQ(s) wholesale, I wanted to fault individual answers in as
  they were asked on the NG.

Result: it has about three questions in it.  But they're all ones I've
seen more than once.  http://alu.cliki.net/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions

(Actually, the explode/implode question probably needs to be added,
with an answer saying "this is homework, right?  no user of a modern
lisp has needed to do this in twenty years.  See answer below, and
exchange strong words with your tutor")

One possible approach, actually, might be to create a 'newsgroup' page
on the ALU wiki for the usenet-specific questions, then claim the
whole of the ALU cliki is the FAQ for the newsgroup ....

Opinions, anyone?

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Matt Curtin
Daniel Barlow <···@telent.net> writes:

> One possible approach, actually, might be to create a 'newsgroup'
> page on the ALU wiki for the usenet-specific questions, then claim
> the whole of the ALU cliki is the FAQ for the newsgroup ....

A Lisp FAQ with a section dedicated to comp.lang.lisp is probably the
best approach.  Even though we're obviously talking about Lisp here,
it isn't as though comp.lang.lisp is the entirety of the Lisp world.
A FAQ about the whole is probably a lot more interesting than a FAQ
about the newsgroup.

(This probably means that it's less of a "FAQ" and more of a "periodic
posting".  That's OK, though, more than a few FAQs are like that...)

--
Matt Curtin, CISSP, IAM, INTP.  Keywords: Lisp, Unix, Internet, INFOSEC.
Founder, Interhack Corporation +1 614 545 HACK http://web.interhack.com/
From: George Cox
George Cox wrote:

> Does this group have a FAQ?
> Tia.
> --
> G.C.
> Note ANTI, SPAM and invalid to be removed if you're e-mailing me.

I asked because I wanted an answer to this question: "What books should
I read to learn more about lisp?"  Which appears here:
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html#AEN141 but it isn't
answered!

Never mind, I found some suggestions here:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups//AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/part1/faq-doc-3.html.
And there's also Lars Brinkhoff's "Favourite Lisp books" thread with
many suggestions.

All I have is Paul Graham's "ANSI Common Lisp" which I find a bit
difficult; maybe I'm thick but I'm new to Lisp.

Thanks for the replies.

From: Kenny Tilton
George Cox wrote:
> George Cox wrote:
>
>>Does this group have a FAQ?
>>Tia.
>>--
>>G.C.
>>Note ANTI, SPAM and invalid to be removed if you're e-mailing me.
>

> I asked because I wanted an answer to this question: "What books should
> I read to learn more about lisp?"

This should help:

    http://www.cliki.net/Favorite%20Lisp%20books

And if you decide you like Lisp, please come back and tell us:

    http://www.cliki.net/The%20RtLS%20by%20Road

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <················@nyc.rr.com>,
 Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> George Cox wrote:
> > George Cox wrote:
> >
> >>Does this group have a FAQ?
> >>Tia.
> >>--
> >>G.C.
> >>Note ANTI, SPAM and invalid to be removed if you're e-mailing me.
> >

> > I asked because I wanted an answer to this question: "What books should
> > I read to learn more about lisp?"
>
> This should help:
>
>     http://www.cliki.net/Favorite%20Lisp%20books
>
> And if you decide you like Lisp, please come back and tell us:
>
>     http://www.cliki.net/The%20RtLS%20by%20Road

Kenny, how about switching to the ALU CLIKI?
From: Kenny Tilton
Rainer Joswig wrote:
> In article <················@nyc.rr.com>,
>  Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>George Cox wrote:

>>>I asked because I wanted an answer to this question: "What books should
>>>I read to learn more about lisp?"
>>
>>This should help:
>>
>>    http://www.cliki.net/Favorite%20Lisp%20books
>>
>>And if you decide you like Lisp, please come back and tell us:
>>
>>    http://www.cliki.net/The%20RtLS%20by%20Road
>

> Kenny, how about switching to the ALU CLIKI?

All the same to me. What's the diff? Is that an easy switch?

From: Daniel Barlow

> Rainer Joswig wrote:
>> Kenny, how about switching to the ALU CLIKI?
>
> All the same to me. What's the diff?

Well, it's at http://alu.cliki.net/ and doesn't currently look quite
as pretty.  One day I hope it will look something like the ALU web site.

> Is that an easy switch?

If I can pick up all the relevant files with unix wildcards (it looks
like they mostly have 'Road' or 'RtL' in the name), just give me the
nod and I can shift the pages directly on the server (both sites are
hosted on the same machine).  Otherwise, or for whatever's left,
you'll have to experience the joy of cut and paste between two browser
windows

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Kenny Tilton
Daniel Barlow wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>Rainer Joswig wrote:
>>
>>>Kenny, how about switching to the ALU CLIKI?
>>
>>All the same to me. What's the diff?
>

> Well, it's at http://alu.cliki.net/ and doesn't currently look quite
> as pretty.  One day I hope it will look something like the ALU web site.
>

>>Is that an easy switch?
>

> If I can pick up all the relevant files with unix wildcards (it looks
> like they mostly have 'Road' or 'RtL' in the name), just give me the
> nod

<nod> I had the joy once of massively hitting each response to put in
the indexing tags, twice would be shameless self-indulgence. </nod>

:)

[dup post to cll]

From: Kenny Tilton
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Daniel Barlow wrote:
>
>> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:

>>> All the same to me. What's the diff?
>>

>> Well, it's at http://alu.cliki.net/ and doesn't currently look quite
>> as pretty.  One day I hope it will look something like the ALU web site.
>>

>>> Is that an easy switch?
>>

>> If I can pick up all the relevant files with unix wildcards (it looks
>> like they mostly have 'Road' or 'RtL' in the name), just give me the
>> nod
>

> <nod> I had the joy once of massively hitting each response to put in
> the indexing tags, twice would be shameless self-indulgence. </nod>

PS. two things:

(1) does cliki have an invisible version history? someone recently
trashed the questions by saving their story atop. i cleaned out his
response, but now I have to readd the tags. :( I'll take a backup when I
am done, or if the original can be recovered. no big if it cannot.

(2) plz hit me with a heads up when the move has been made to ALU's
cliki and I will do some other maintenance I have in mind.

thx

From: lin8080
Kenny Tilton schrieb:

> Kenny Tilton wrote:

> (2) plz hit me with a heads up when the move has been made to ALU's
> cliki and I will do some other maintenance I have in mind.

hallo

Why not take something like "elisa" and offer the user a windowed html
line where the question is inserted? This is the shortest way to get an
answer (but to difficult for me).

stefan
From: Kevin Rosenberg
In article <················@nyc.rr.com>, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>> Kenny, how about switching to the ALU CLIKI?
>
> All the same to me. What's the diff? Is that an easy switch?

From www.cliki.net's home page:

 "This is a collection of links to and resources for free software
 implemented in Common Lisp and available on Unix-like systems. Listed
 software should satisfy the DFSG."

There are many pages on cliki that would be good candidates to move to
the alu.cliki.net site.

--
       Kevin Rosenberg        |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
  http://b9.com/debian.html   | : :' :      The  universal
From: Kenny Tilton
Kevin Rosenberg wrote:
> In article <················@nyc.rr.com>, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>>>Kenny, how about switching to the ALU CLIKI?
>>
>>All the same to me. What's the diff? Is that an easy switch?
>

> From www.cliki.net's home page:
>
>  "This is a collection of links to and resources for free software
>  implemented in Common Lisp and available on Unix-like systems. Listed
>  software should satisfy the DFSG."
>
> There are many pages on cliki that would be good candidates to move to
> the alu.cliki.net site.

Yeah, I was just following the Young Lispers lead.

But it make sense now that the ALU site is rocking again; folks will
likely be going there before they get to cliki.

From: Kevin Rosenberg
In comp.lang.lisp, you wrote:
> Yeah, I was just following the Young Lispers lead.

I agree. Given all the non-software information on cliki, I wasn't
aware that it was for only software until Dan created ALU wiki site.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net
From: Daniel Barlow
George Cox <··············@SPAMbtinternet.com.invalid> writes:

> And there's also Lars Brinkhoff's "Favourite Lisp books" thread with
> many suggestions.

Lars has collected the responses to that thread on the CLiki page at

 http://www.cliki.net/Favorite%20Lisp%20books

Lars, a summary of the advice given there (suggest you merge the
comments about books people have recommended for "real" reasons,
downplay or lose the comments which aren't speaking from actual
experience) would make a great page for the ALU wiki currently
at http://alu.cliki.net/

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Lars Brinkhoff
Daniel Barlow <···@telent.net> writes:
> comments about books people have recommended for "real" reasons,
> downplay or lose the comments which aren't speaking from actual
> experience) would make a great page for the ALU wiki

Something like this?  (Not finished yet.)

http://alu.cliki.net/Favorite%20Lisp%20books

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, PDP-10, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/
From: George Cox
Lars Brinkhoff wrote:

> Daniel Barlow <···@telent.net> writes:
> > comments about books people have recommended for "real" reasons,
> > downplay or lose the comments which aren't speaking from actual
> > experience) would make a great page for the ALU wiki
>
> Something like this?  (Not finished yet.)
>
> http://alu.cliki.net/Favorite%20Lisp%20books

That's handy.  Any plans for a beginner's/intermediate/advanced
classification?
From: Lars Brinkhoff
George Cox <··············@SPAMbtinternet.com.invalid> writes:
> > http://alu.cliki.net/Favorite%20Lisp%20books
> That's handy.  Any plans for a beginner's/intermediate/advanced
> classification?

I'm kinda hoping the community will chip in...