From: amit phalgune
Subject: CLISP Mac and Sockets
Hi,
I am planning to use CLISP on Mac OS 10. I understand that CLISP
supports Macs. But I am not sure if sockets and multi threading is
supported by CLISP on Macs.
Can anyone guide me on this please !!

Also from the documents I looked at, looks like CLISP supports sockets
on Unix and Win32 only. Is this correct ? How abt Macs ?

Does CLISP support multi threading on UNIX and Windows ?
Thanks for the help
Amit

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: CLISP Mac and Sockets
In article <····························@posting.google.com>,
 ········@cs.orst.edu (amit phalgune) wrote:

> Hi,
> I am planning to use CLISP on Mac OS 10. I understand that CLISP
> supports Macs.

Supported? Not really I would say. The situation is more
like that some CLisp version compiled on Mac OS X.
It seems like that newer versions of CLisp are not
compilable under Mac OS X - atleast I haven't
been able to.

> But I am not sure if sockets and multi threading is
> supported by CLISP on Macs.
> Can anyone guide me on this please !!
>
> Also from the documents I looked at, looks like CLISP supports sockets
> on Unix and Win32 only. Is this correct ? How abt Macs ?
>
> Does CLISP support multi threading on UNIX and Windows ?

Usually CLisp does not support multi-threading.

Your alternatives on Mac OS X are OpenMCL, LispWorks, ACL.
All these are supporting sockets and
multi-threading on Mac OS X.
From: Douglas Philips
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> Supported? Not really I would say. The situation is more
> like that some CLisp version compiled on Mac OS X.
> It seems like that newer versions of CLisp are not
> compilable under Mac OS X - atleast I haven't
> been able to.

I was able to compile the latest CVS head on my Jaguar system late last
week. Prior versions to that you'd have to take out the 'tradional-cpp'
flag in src/makemake.in (see the src/CHANGELOG file).

The FFI isn't building... since I don't (yet) need it, I haven't tried
to find out if it is as simple as that or not. Given the funky library
system on OS/X (which should just be the BSD/GNU stuff, except for
Objective-C might make it weird)...

>>Also from the documents I looked at, looks like CLISP supports sockets
>>on Unix and Win32 only. Is this correct ? How abt Macs ?

Seems to support sockets (I've only written TOY programs to make sure
the basic functionality works. I don't recall if the make check tests
test sockets or not).

>>Does CLISP support multi threading on UNIX and Windows ?
> Usually CLisp does not support multi-threading.

Apparently its partly in the code base, but not finished.

> Your alternatives on Mac OS X are OpenMCL, LispWorks, ACL.
> All these are supporting sockets and
> multi-threading on Mac OS X.

I understand that SBCL is or soon will be there too.
And modulo threads (and FFI) Clisp.

Doug
From: amit phalgune
Looks like the latest source code : (binaries) of CLISP are working on
Max OS 10.
But the earlier versions might have some problem. Is this correct?
Where Can I get the latest release of CLISP and how active is the
CLISP community with regards to new development and continued support
of CLISP. When is the next release scheduled ?

From: Douglas Philips
amit phalgune wrote:
> Looks like the latest source code : (binaries) of CLISP are working on
> Max OS 10.
> But the earlier versions might have some problem. Is this correct?

2.29 is the most recent previous version for which you could download
prebuilt binaries. As for any other "earlier versions" I'm not sure
exactly what you mean. Best to get the latest CVS head and build it
(you'll need the free Apple developer tools (Dec 2002) and the gcc 3.3
update to them.

> Where Can I get the latest release of CLISP and how active is the
> CLISP community with regards to new development and continued support
> of CLISP. When is the next release scheduled ?

For that you'd best join the CLISP list. (http://clisp.cons.org/ is
where to start).

The developers (I am not one) are very responsive. 2.30 is the latest
official release. 2.31 is due out Real Soon Now, but I can't say that
I've tracked what's left to be done or when it happen.

<D\'gou
From: Daniel Barlow
Douglas Philips <····@mac.com> writes:

>> Your alternatives on Mac OS X are OpenMCL, LispWorks, ACL.
>> All these are supporting sockets and
>> multi-threading on Mac OS X.
>
> I understand that SBCL is or soon will be there too.
> And modulo threads (and FFI) Clisp.

SBCL has no threads on anything other than x86, nor am I aware of
anyone working on them.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Douglas Philips <····@mac.com> writes:

> Rainer Joswig wrote:
>
> > Supported? Not really I would say. The situation is more
> > like that some CLisp version compiled on Mac OS X.
> > It seems like that newer versions of CLisp are not
> > compilable under Mac OS X - atleast I haven't
> > been able to.
>
> I was able to compile the latest CVS head on my Jaguar system late
> last week. Prior versions to that you'd have to take out the
> 'tradional-cpp' flag in src/makemake.in (see the src/CHANGELOG file).

Could you please post the script you're using to compile clisp on MacOSX?

Mine does not work:

#!/bin/bash
CLISP_SRC=/usr/local/src/clisp-2.30
CLISP_INS=/usr/local
CLISP_MOD="queens regexp wildcard"
export CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash
[ $(uname) = Darwin   ] && ulimit -S -s 8192
[ $(uname) = NEXTSTEP ] && export CFLAGS=-DNO_ASM
# --------------------------------------------
cd ${CLISP_SRC}
[ -r Makefile ] && make distclean >/dev/null 2>&1 || true
# --------------------------------------------
$CONFIG_SHELL ./configure \
    --prefix=${CLISP_INS} \
    --with-export-syscalls \
    `cd modules ; for m in ${CLISP_MOD} ; do echo --with-module=$m ; done`
# --------------------------------------------
pushd src
./makemake \
    --with-dynamic-ffi  \
    --prefix=${CLISP_INS} \
    --with-export-syscalls \
    `cd ../modules ; for m in ${CLISP_MOD} ; do echo --with-module=$m ; done` \
     > Makefile
if [ $(uname) = Darwin ] ; then
   cp Makefile Makefile~
   sed -e '/CFLAGS *=/s/\<-O2\>//' < Makefile~ > Makefile
fi
make config.lisp
cp ../../clisp-pjb-config.lisp config.lisp
make
popd
# --------------------------------------------
# Finally, check and install
pushd src
umask 022
make check && make test && make testsuite && make install
popd
exit 0
#### clisp-pjb-compile-2.30           -- 2003-08-19 21:27:43 -- pascal   ####

I first get errors with avcall-rs6000.c:
avcall-rs6000.c:3:Expected comma after segment-name
avcall-rs6000.c:3:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 32 ( ).
avcall-rs6000.c:5:Unknown pseudo-op: .type
avcall-rs6000.c:5:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 95 (_).
avcall-rs6000.c:5:Invalid mnemonic 'function'

and then fatally with:

lispbibl.d:1950: unbalanced #endif
lispbibl.d:6683: unterminated #else conditional
spvw_objsize.d:110: unterminated #else conditional
make: *** [spvw.o] Error 1

This, with clisp-2.30; it's even worse with current CVS:

lispbibl.d:7385: illegal external declaration, missing `;' after `__SP'
lispbibl.d:7385: illegal external declaration, missing `;' after `__SP'
eval.d:1788: illegal expression, found `#'
bytecode.d:4: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:5: illegal expression, found `&&'
bytecode.d:6: illegal expression, found `&&'
...(and tons and tons of errors)...
eval.d:7479: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:7479: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:7486: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:7486: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:7513: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'
eval.d:7513: syntax error, missing `;' after `*'
eval.d:7527: illegal statement, missing `identifier' after `goto'

__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.

From: ······@panix.com
Pascal Bourguignon <····@thalassa.informatimago.com> writes:
> Could you please post the script you're using to compile
> clisp on MacOSX?  Mine does not work:

   I have memories of using the following when compiling clisp:

ulimit -S -s 8192
export CC='cc -no-cpp-precomp'

hope this helps,
harley.
From: Douglas Philips
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Could you please post the script you're using to compile clisp on MacOSX?

i don't use a script, I follow the directions in unix/PLATFORMS.

> # --------------------------------------------
> $CONFIG_SHELL ./configure \
>     --prefix=${CLISP_INS} \
>     --with-export-syscalls \
>     `cd modules ; for m in ${CLISP_MOD} ; do echo --with-module=$m ; done`
> # --------------------------------------------
> pushd src
> ./makemake \
>     --with-dynamic-ffi  \
>     --prefix=${CLISP_INS} \
>     --with-export-syscalls \
>     `cd ../modules ; for m in ${CLISP_MOD} ; do echo --with-module=$m ; done` \
>      > Makefile

Odd, I didn't think you could build with dynamic ffi if you didn't
configure with it. In any event, ffi is not working on OS/X at the moment.

> if [ $(uname) = Darwin ] ; then
>    cp Makefile Makefile~
>    sed -e '/CFLAGS *=/s/\<-O2\>//' < Makefile~ > Makefile
> fi

With the Dec 2002 tools and the gcc 3.3 update, I haven't bothered with
and don't seem to be affected by, that, but it probably doesn't hurt. I
haven't done very extensive testing beyound what make check does.

> I first get errors with avcall-rs6000.c:

Probably due to the FFI issue,I don't recall what the build errors I saw
were.

> and then fatally with:
>
> lispbibl.d:1950: unbalanced #endif
> lispbibl.d:6683: unterminated #else conditional
> spvw_objsize.d:110: unterminated #else conditional
> make: *** [spvw.o] Error 1

You either have an old compiler or an old CVS head (well, more than a
few days old ;-) ).

> This, with clisp-2.30; it's even worse with current CVS:

Hm, I don't see that at all, maybe your using an older gcc?

I hope all this helped.

<D\'gou
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <················@mac.com>, Douglas Philips <····@mac.com>
wrote:

> Rainer Joswig wrote:
>
> > Supported? Not really I would say. The situation is more
> > like that some CLisp version compiled on Mac OS X.
> > It seems like that newer versions of CLisp are not
> > compilable under Mac OS X - atleast I haven't
> > been able to.
>
> I was able to compile the latest CVS head on my Jaguar system late last
> week. Prior versions to that you'd have to take out the 'tradional-cpp'
> flag in src/makemake.in (see the src/CHANGELOG file).

I'll try that on the weekend. I'll report here...

> The FFI isn't building... since I don't (yet) need it, I haven't tried
> to find out if it is as simple as that or not. Given the funky library
> system on OS/X (which should just be the BSD/GNU stuff, except for
> Objective-C might make it weird)...
>

> >>Also from the documents I looked at, looks like CLISP supports sockets
> >>on Unix and Win32 only. Is this correct ? How abt Macs ?
>
> Seems to support sockets (I've only written TOY programs to make sure
> the basic functionality works. I don't recall if the make check tests
> test sockets or not).
>
> >>Does CLISP support multi threading on UNIX and Windows ?
> > Usually CLisp does not support multi-threading.
>
> Apparently its partly in the code base, but not finished.

Just a hint: don't hold your breath.

> > Your alternatives on Mac OS X are OpenMCL, LispWorks, ACL.
> > All these are supporting sockets and
> > multi-threading on Mac OS X.
>
> I understand that SBCL is or soon will be there too.
> And modulo threads (and FFI) Clisp.

SBCL is there already. With sockets. Without threads.
From: Rainer Joswig
Rainer Joswig <······@lispmachine.de> wrote in message news:<····························@news.fu-berlin.de>...
> In article <················@mac.com>, Douglas Philips <····@mac.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Rainer Joswig wrote:
> >
> > > Supported? Not really I would say. The situation is more
> > > like that some CLisp version compiled on Mac OS X.
> > > It seems like that newer versions of CLisp are not
> > > compilable under Mac OS X - atleast I haven't
> > > been able to.
> >
> > I was able to compile the latest CVS head on my Jaguar system late last
> > week. Prior versions to that you'd have to take out the 'tradional-cpp'
> > flag in src/makemake.in (see the src/CHANGELOG file).
>
> I'll try that on the weekend. I'll report here...

Well, maybe its me, but I still don't get a newer clisp version (from CVS)
to compile under Mac OS X. Not that I need to get it compiled, just
checking whether it is currently easy/supported/documented to run a newer
clisp under Mac OS X.

SBCL seems to compile nicely. Got SBCL 0.8.2.55 from the CVS and it compiles
with an earlier SBCL version and even with OpenMCL 0.14a (!!). All
under Mac OS X 10.2.6.

Rainer Joswig
From: Douglas Philips
Rainer Joswig wrote:

> Well, maybe its me, but I still don't get a newer clisp version (from CVS)
> to compile under Mac OS X. Not that I need to get it compiled, just
> checking whether it is currently easy/supported/documented to run a newer
> clisp under Mac OS X.

You really don't want to use 2.29, so much has changed and improved
since then. I'm no lisp wizard, nor CLISP guru, nor even Mac wizard. I
come from a Linux/Unix background. If I can get CLISP to build, I would
think anyone could. ;-)

To reiterate: I'm running 10.2.6 (just like you). I have installed the
Dec 2002 developer tools with the Gcc 3.3 update. Haven't tweaked or
played with the installation at all, standard OOB (out of box) setup.
The latest CVS head has been building for me. Its cleaner if you
configure --without-dynamic-ffi (but then you have to manually symlink
modules/exporting.lisp into the build tree). Don't forget to follow the
unix/PLATFORMS instructions for Mac OS/X.

> SBCL seems to compile nicely. Got SBCL 0.8.2.55 from the CVS and it compiles
> with an earlier SBCL version and even with OpenMCL 0.14a (!!). All
> under Mac OS X 10.2.6.

I've wanted to try that (just for grins and giggles), but haven't found
the right web page that will get me Mac OS version of SBCL to bootstrap
from. Very frustrating. I guess I managed to find a backwater part of
the web with old SBCL stuff (as of last week, even the sourceforge pages
for SBCL had no Mac or PPC downloads).

Probably should either take this to the CLISP mailing list or private
email at this point.

<D\'gou
From: Christophe Rhodes
Douglas Philips <····@mac.com> writes:

> Rainer Joswig wrote:
>> SBCL seems to compile nicely. Got SBCL 0.8.2.55 from the CVS and it compiles
>> with an earlier SBCL version and even with OpenMCL 0.14a (!!). All
>> under Mac OS X 10.2.6.
>
> I've wanted to try that (just for grins and giggles), but haven't
> found the right web page that will get me Mac OS version of SBCL to
> bootstrap from. Very frustrating. I guess I managed to find a
> backwater part of the web with old SBCL stuff (as of last week, even
> the sourceforge pages for SBCL had no Mac or PPC downloads).

You should be able to bootstrap from CLISP on MacOS; SBCL is written
in not-quite-portable ANSI Common Lisp, but CLISP has been known to
work on x86, and there's nothing terribly different about the PPC
port.

Alternatively, There are various bits of the web that do have
unofficial MacOS binaries of SBCL; on the other hand, you may wish to
wait for the official release, scheduled to take place on Monday or
Tuesday, following which official binaries will no doubt show up.  If
you're of the impatient type, starting at
<http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/sbcl-darwin-binary.tar.gz> may
work, but you'll want to use that (or openmcl, or CLISP) to compile a
newer version from CVS, as several Darwin-specific bugs have been
fixed since that binary's timestamp.

Christophe
From: Pascal Bourguignon
······@corporate-world.lisp.de (Rainer Joswig) writes:

> Rainer Joswig <······@lispmachine.de> wrote in message news:<····························@news.fu-berlin.de>...
> > In article <················@mac.com>, Douglas Philips <····@mac.com>
> > wrote:

> > > I was able to compile the latest CVS head on my Jaguar system late last
> > > week. Prior versions to that you'd have to take out the 'tradional-cpp'
> > > flag in src/makemake.in (see the src/CHANGELOG file).
> >
> > I'll try that on the weekend. I'll report here...
>
> Well, maybe its me, but I still don't get a newer clisp version (from CVS)
> to compile under Mac OS X. Not that I need to get it compiled, just
> checking whether it is currently easy/supported/documented to run a newer
> clisp under Mac OS X.

I finally could compile clisp using either gcc 2.95.2 or 3.3 (but I've
still have a glitch with 3.3). gcc 3.1 can't compile it.

Try: gcc_select 2
before compiling clisp,

or if you're on 10.2, install Dec2002gccUpdater.pkg to get gcc 3.3 and
try: gcc_select 3.3
before compiling clisp.