From: file13
Subject: Announce: New Web BBS Dedicated to Lisp and Lambda Languages
howdy everyone!  i setup a new web based (phpBB) BBS dedicated solely
to the discussion of Lisp and other lambda languages.

http://www.lambdawizards.com/lwBBS/index.php

since i'm unaware of any other BBS the only focuses on Lisp and
functional languages i figured i'd set one up to hopefully help the
language we love grow.  since posting on usenet can sometimes be
stressful to a neophyte and modifying a wiki even more so, i figured
having a less formal discussion forum would be a good thing.  also,
since these web BBS's seem to be getting more and more popular i
figured setting one up will only help our community grow.  it's in no
way meant to compete with any other communication medium.  just an
alternative.  :)

so here's an invitation to all the Lambda Wizards of any level.  as is
everyone so far on it are relative infants in the grand scheme of
Lisp, so having some of ye grizzled ol Lambda Wizards who've been
speaking the mystic incantaions for some 20 odd years would be pretty
awe inspiring....  ;)

thanks!

Michael Rossi
http://www.lambdawizards.com/

From: Paolo Amoroso
On 17 Aug 2003 08:42:17 -0700, ······@qlippoth.zzn.com (file13) wrote:

> language we love grow.  since posting on usenet can sometimes be
> stressful to a neophyte and modifying a wiki even more so, i figured
> having a less formal discussion forum would be a good thing.  also,
> since these web BBS's seem to be getting more and more popular i

You haven't accessed a web-based discussion board via a dial-up PPP link
with metered phone calls lately, have you? I respectfully hate such things.
Long live email/news, or web-based forums with email/news gateways.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: file13
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> wrote in message
> You haven't accessed a web-based discussion board via a dial-up PPP link
> with metered phone calls lately, have you? I respectfully hate such things.
> Long live email/news, or web-based forums with email/news gateways.
>

> Paolo

indeed.  luckly in my country DSL has gotten pretty affordable.  but i
feel you pain and will always have a soft spot for the beauty of
simple text.  in fact Synchronet is running on the server as we speak.
 just telnet to lambdawizards.com  ;)

but as much as i like old school BBS's, in the sake of practicality i
figured a web based version would be more useful to the community.
but if there's more of a call for a telnet BBS i can certainly keep it
going and put some work into it/add more nodes.  but as is i'll
probably turn it off for lack of interest....  :)

Michael Rossi
http://www.lambdawizards.com/
From: Kaz Kylheku
······@qlippoth.zzn.com (file13) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> but as much as i like old school BBS's, in the sake of practicality i
> figured a web based version would be more useful to the community.
> but if there's more of a call for a telnet BBS i can certainly keep it
> going and put some work into it/add more nodes.

Is there a reason you can't use the #lisp channel on the Freenode IRC
network, and this newsgroup?
.
From: Daniel Barlow
······@qlippoth.zzn.com (file13) writes:

> Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> wrote in message
>> You haven't accessed a web-based discussion board via a dial-up PPP link
>> with metered phone calls lately, have you? I respectfully hate such things.
>> Long live email/news, or web-based forums with email/news gateways.

> but if there's more of a call for a telnet BBS i can certainly keep it
> going and put some work into it/add more nodes.  but as is i'll
> probably turn it off for lack of interest....  :)

The fact that you're posting here suggests that you've probably heard
of Usenet, but the content of your posting is an indication against.
The attraction of email/news on a metered connection is that you can
download it all at once.  If that's even possible on a "telnet BBS",
it's certainly not as simple or widely supported as NNTP or uucp.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: file13
Daniel Barlow <···@telent.net> wrote in message news:<··············@noetbook.telent.net>...

> The fact that you're posting here suggests that you've probably heard
> of Usenet, but the content of your posting is an indication against.
> The attraction of email/news on a metered connection is that you can
> download it all at once.  If that's even possible on a "telnet BBS",
> it's certainly not as simple or widely supported as NNTP or uucp.
>

> -dan

the part about a telent BBS was simply a response to someone with a
slow dial-up connection--and because i'm fond of "antiquated"
technology...how old is Lisp?  you're correct, it does not address
Pablo's issues on behalf of his metered line.  my advice is he
shouldn't bother with something like a web-bbs.  just as there are
many implementations of Lisp, so are there many ways and places to
discuss it.  this is just another one.  so

(if user-likes-web-bbs
    (use-web-bbs)
  nil)

on that note i'll take my own advice now and evaluate nil....  ;)

Michael Rossi
http://www.lambdawizards.com/
From: Duong Le
how about focussing on what has been made here. I personally like the
site and plan on using it in the future.

Michael deserves some credit for his work and i personally think that
his site is less intimidating than posting here on usenet, especially
for he neophyte. (I'm a total neophyte to lisp)

I'm actually quite dissappointed about the tone in this thread and
towards a great innitiative.

loose the stick you guys.

Best regards
From: Kenny Tilton
Duong Le wrote:
> how about focussing on what has been made here. I personally like the
> site and plan on using it in the future.
>
> Michael deserves some credit for his work and i personally think that
> his site is less intimidating than posting here on usenet, especially
> for he neophyte. (I'm a total neophyte to lisp)

We love neophytes, and are actively cultivating them. This NG has gotten
to be a lot of fun lately. Some newby asks a questions, gets an answer,
then the gurus start refining the answers. Each thread goes from Lisp
101 up thru post grad by the time it is done. Hopefully, the newby gets
their answer somewhere early on. :)

> I'm actually quite dissappointed about the tone in this thread and
> towards a great innitiative.
>
> loose the stick you guys.

Yeah, tough audience, no good deed goes unpunished around here. I kinda
agree with the critics, but someone could at least have commended the OP
for his effort. Come to think of it, you just did.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
From: Alex Drummond
Don't moan just because it doesn't suit you :P This could be a nice site,
especially for FP newbies.

Alex

From: Jens Axel Søgaard
file13 wrote:
> howdy everyone!  i setup a new web based (phpBB) BBS dedicated solely
> to the discussion of Lisp and other lambda languages.
>
> http://www.lambdawizards.com/lwBBS/index.php
>
> since i'm unaware of any other BBS the only focuses on Lisp and
> functional languages i figured i'd set one up to hopefully help the
> language we love grow.  since posting on usenet can sometimes be
> stressful to a neophyte and modifying a wiki even more so, i figured
> having a less formal discussion forum would be a good thing.

Announcements for web based discussion forums are seldom
well received on Usenet.

   1. Usentetters actually prefer Usenet over web forums
   2. Web forums are often competitors to Usenet groups

The argument:

   "posting on usenet can sometimes be stressful to a neophyte"

doesn't hold. Beginners aren't beginners for long, and then
they leave the web forum. The consequence is that the only
left to help new beginners are old beginners. Not a healthy combo.

Besides there is always Google groups.

That said, the actual site looks quite nice.

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: file13
Jens Axel S�gaard <······@jasoegaard.dk> wrote in message
> Announcements for web based discussion forums are seldom
> well received on Usenet.
>
>    1. Usentetters actually prefer Usenet over web forums
>    2. Web forums are often competitors to Usenet groups
>
> The argument:
>
>    "posting on usenet can sometimes be stressful to a neophyte"
>
> doesn't hold. Beginners aren't beginners for long, and then
> they leave the web forum. The consequence is that the only
> left to help new beginners are old beginners. Not a healthy combo.
>
> Besides there is always Google groups.

you have a valid argument.  however as i mentioned in the initial
announcement:

"it's in no way meant to compete with any other communication medium.
just an alternative."

i love c.l.l and have no plan to quit reading it--though i've never
been a big poster on usenet in general.  also, if someone wants to
chat on IRC what's stopping them?  ditto for posting to yahoo! groups.
 i just set this up for #1 fun, #2 to offer an alternative medium to
discuss Lisp and functional languages.

bottom line:

(if user-likes-web-bbs
    (use-web-bbs)
  nil)

;)

> That said, the actual site looks quite nice.

thank you.  :)
From: Tayss
There exist good web complements to Usenet, which wouldn't really work
if they were Usenet forums.  Weblog discussion boards, for instance.
One that I admire is http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/ .  It
basically works because the guy's weblog used to feature interesting
articles every so often, and subtle things were done to cultivate a
more-or-less healthy community.

> Beginners aren't beginners for long, and then
> they leave the web forum. The consequence is that the only
> left to help new beginners are old beginners. Not a healthy combo.

This critique makes sense, but I think the problem is the whole
"education" model.  Many places have shown that there needs to be
occasional interesting articles to form discussions around, rather
than a bunch of geeks crying for help.  Also, the personality of the
forum's owner has a strong impact in the tenor of posts.

> Besides there is always Google groups.

I think Usenet could benefit from a more decentralized/varied
community, which takes pressure off any one forum.

>    1. Usentetters actually prefer Usenet over web forums
>    2. Web forums are often competitors to Usenet groups

An increasing number of Usenetters only know Usenet as a web forum.
Me, for instance. ;)