From: Unmesh Kurup
Subject: another LW FLI question
Hi,
   I am trying to load a dll using register-module and I use the following
statement
(fli:register-module "lisptest")
   where the dll file is lisptest.dll. The statement returns "lisptest".

   I tried the statement with "ltest" which is a non-existent dll and LW
returned "ltest". So, how do I know if a load is successful?

thanks,
--unm
From: Nick Levine
Subject: Re: another LW FLI question
"Unmesh Kurup" <····@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<············@news.cis.ohio-state.edu>...
> Hi,
>    I am trying to load a dll using register-module and I use the following
> statement
> (fli:register-module "lisptest")
>    where the dll file is lisptest.dll. The statement returns "lisptest".
>
>    I tried the statement with "ltest" which is a non-existent dll and LW
> returned "ltest". So, how do I know if a load is successful?

Looks like fli:register-module just adds the name to some table. The
system is designed not to go looking for the file until you need it to
resolve some function.

I guess you could probe-file the module beforehand, and call some
"safe" function in the module afterwards, such as doNothing() or
getVersionString() or whatever you have to hand. If the probe-file
fails you've eliminated one common cause of failure, and if the "safe
function" succeeds you know you've connected OK. But there's still
quite a wide gap between the two (or this might be a library that
doesn't have a "safe function" that can be called just to test that
the library is happy).

Maybe you should post a call to ········@xanalys (or lisp-support)?
I'd be interested in seeing the answer.

- nick