From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: ANNC; kennyspeak (on Lisp & RoboCup) this Sun (Aug 17), East Village, NYC
A couple of weeks ago I dropped by a weekly gathering of Free
softwarians down in the east Village of NYC and Jay kindly shoved a
keyboard into my mitts and said "show them Lisp". I somehow ended up
talking about, on the one hand, using declarations to get lean-mean
compilation, and on the other, about the glory of macros. That range in
abstraction coinciding neatly with the range of my skill at each.

This Sunday, August 17th at 7PM marks my triumphant return (read "chance
for atonement") to that same occasional home of the Free (deets below),
armed this time with reading glasses and at least a few hours experience
on the cmucl platform under my belt. Possibly even some working RoboCup
code, the delightful soccer simulation which will be fought out at
ILC2003: http://www.international-lisp-conference.org/

This second "Over the Shoulder" Talk will continue my answer to the
fat-pitch question asked last time, viz., Why Lisp? The focus will be
the interactive quality of Lisp development, and thus will be getting
down and dirty with things like Lisp-aware editors (Emacs or Hemlock)
and the cmucl debugger (with the instructor in accordance with tradition
just one step ahead of the audience).

The context will be live work on my MIT-licensed Lisp RoboCells platform
for aspiring virtual footballers, which (if the r/c platform happens to
be working at that time) we will also have great fun programming.
(turned loose in the server environment for autonomous play, the players
tend to do the darndest things.)

If my r/c platform is not behaving, we /really/ focus on the debugger
and editor and the nature of interactive development. <g>

Along the way expect to hear a lot also about macros, closures,
introspection, CLOS, and (duh) Cells (yes, Virginia, there is a silver
bullet). And anything else about which observers want to ask.

See ya there. (here:)

The Three Jewels is at

211 East 5th Street
east of Third Avenue
on the Island of the Manahattoes

subway stops: Eighth Street on the N, R, and sometimes W, lines, and
Astor Place
on the 6 line

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc

From: Doug Tolton
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:53:38 GMT, Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>
wrote:

>A couple of weeks ago I dropped by a weekly gathering of Free
>softwarians down in the east Village of NYC and Jay kindly shoved a
>keyboard into my mitts and said "show them Lisp". I somehow ended up
>talking about, on the one hand, using declarations to get lean-mean
>compilation, and on the other, about the glory of macros. That range in
>abstraction coinciding neatly with the range of my skill at each.
>
>This Sunday, August 17th at 7PM marks my triumphant return (read "chance
>for atonement") to that same occasional home of the Free (deets below),
>armed this time with reading glasses and at least a few hours experience
>on the cmucl platform under my belt. Possibly even some working RoboCup
>code, the delightful soccer simulation which will be fought out at
>ILC2003: http://www.international-lisp-conference.org/
>
>This second "Over the Shoulder" Talk will continue my answer to the
>fat-pitch question asked last time, viz., Why Lisp? The focus will be
>the interactive quality of Lisp development, and thus will be getting
>down and dirty with things like Lisp-aware editors (Emacs or Hemlock)
>and the cmucl debugger (with the instructor in accordance with tradition
>just one step ahead of the audience).
>
>The context will be live work on my MIT-licensed Lisp RoboCells platform
>for aspiring virtual footballers, which (if the r/c platform happens to
>be working at that time) we will also have great fun programming.
>(turned loose in the server environment for autonomous play, the players
>tend to do the darndest things.)
>
>If my r/c platform is not behaving, we /really/ focus on the debugger
>and editor and the nature of interactive development. <g>
>
>Along the way expect to hear a lot also about macros, closures,
>introspection, CLOS, and (duh) Cells (yes, Virginia, there is a silver
>bullet). And anything else about which observers want to ask.
>
>See ya there. (here:)
>
>The Three Jewels is at
>
>211 East 5th Street
>east of Third Avenue
>on the Island of the Manahattoes
>
>subway stops: Eighth Street on the N, R, and sometimes W, lines, and
>Astor Place
>on the 6 line

Hmm, is there anyway to get this video taped?  :)

New York is pretty far away from me, but I really want to hear the
talk.  Even if someone could record it, I would be much obliged.  If
you are so inclined, please let me know, I'll gladly help defray any
costs involved.
Doug Tolton
(format t ···@~a~a.~a" "dtolton" "ya" "hoo" "com")
From: Kenny Tilton
Doug Tolton wrote:
> Hmm, is there anyway to get this video taped?  :)

(a) Thanks for the interest.

(b) You'll hear me live at ILC2003, on the charms of Lisp as well as
Cells (gasp!) in a RoboCup context. And you'll also get a chance to
cheer me up after Those Bastards(tm) kill me with their C++-in-Lisp
clothing client.

(c) It's real informal, tiny, crowded, and dark, so it would be a
challenge to tape (but it could turn out interesting if someone tried).
I'll just be sitting there with people jammed around me trying to see
the screen.

:)

ps. Anyone coming: I forgot to mention, the place turns out to be pretty
cool and the Three Jewels is a reference to Buddhism. So plz don't drag
along a (non-veggie ) hot dog, and no flamewars inside. :)