From: Primeis
Subject: Jabberwocky, win2k server, and no install option
I took the time to read the requirements for jabberwocky.  I installed all the stuff it
wanted.

I've downloaded several versions of Jabberwocky (stable and unstable). I've been trying to
get it to work with win2k srvr.  when I run the setup.bat I get the cute java window.  The
install button doesn't light up.  Does anybody have any idea what might be going on (other
than I'm not using a real operating system that is)?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

From: Conrad Barski
Seems like I ran the same setup.bat and it worked for me on XP.

Download the latest JAVA VM, maybe?
From: Primeis
Thanks.  I'll try that.

I got the J2SE w/console and setup will get me to where I am now.

From: Primeis
This is the message that I got from the install log.  Could it be that I don't have enough
rights on a machine that I setup to install just this program.  I haven't had any problems
'til now if that is the case.  thanks for any help you all can give.

<0>
<0> ! REG.EXE VERSION 2.0
<0>
<0> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\fasfile\Shell\Load_into_CLISP\command
<0>     <NO NAME>	REG_SZ	"P:\Programm.ing\Common Lisp\CLisp\clisp-2.30.1\lisp.exe"
-B "P:/Programm.ing/Common Lisp/CLisp/clisp-2.30.1/" -M "P:\Programm.ing\Common
Lisp\CLisp\clisp-2.30.1\lispinit.mem" -i "%1"
<0>
<0>
<0>
<0> Error:  The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value

From: Primeis
I went so far as to uninstall the jdk and reinstall it.  This didn't help.

I also have installed it on my  XP machine at work and that went without a hitch.

Any other ideas?

From: Oudeis
> The install button doesn't light up.

Have a close look at the path to clisp.bat that is shown.
It is most likely incorrect. Click the button on the right
to the path edit box and browse to the real clisp.bat location.
The install button should light up now.

HTH
From: Primeis
I gave this a go.  It seems on the version I'm installing that the clisp entry is looking
for the path to the clisp executable. I changed it to the location of the clisp.bat and it
tried to treat it like it I had put the path to the executable.

I there a support email at the jabberwocky site I might send to for more help?  I haven't
found one yet.

thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm beginning to think that I have a flaky install of
win2k srvr (as if it were a real OS in the first place).  I haven't had time to install
red had 9 on a machine yet so I'm stuck working with what I have for now.

From: Oudeis
> I gave this a go.  It seems on the version I'm installing that the clisp entry is looking
> for the path to the clisp executable. I changed it to the location of the clisp.bat and it
> tried to treat it like it I had put the path to the executable.

In my particular case, jabberwocky's install had detected the path to
clisp as
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\clisp.bat,
and the Install button was disabled. The correct path was
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Desktop\clisp.bat.
Give it one more try, but try using the button->file-find dialog etc.
as I suggested - maybe if you just type the address into the edit box
the installer won't detect it.
From: Marc Mertens
Primeis wrote:

> I gave this a go.  It seems on the version I'm installing that the clisp
> entry is looking for the path to the clisp executable. I changed it to the
> location of the clisp.bat and it tried to treat it like it I had put the
> path to the executable.
>
> I there a support email at the jabberwocky site I might send to for more
> help?  I haven't found one yet.
>
> thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm beginning to think that I have a
> flaky install of
> win2k srvr (as if it were a real OS in the first place).  I haven't had
> time to install red had 9 on a machine yet so I'm stuck working with what
> I have for now.
>
> On 15 Aug 2003 04:35:35 -0700, ····@hotmail.com (Oudeis) wrote:
>
>>> The install button doesn't light up.
>>
>>Have a close look at the path to clisp.bat that is shown.
>>It is most likely incorrect. Click the button on the right
>>to the path edit box and browse to the real clisp.bat location.
>>The install button should light up now.
>>
>>HTH

Hi,

  I'm the maintainer of Jabberwocky, which version are you trying to
install?

Version 1.x.y (the stable version) needs indeed the full path to the
clisp.bat file used to start CLISP.
Version 2.x.y howver needs the real command to start CLISP (this to avoid
problems in killing a lisp process on a W2K machine), in general this is
something like 'D:\clisp\lisp.exe" -B "D:/clisp/" -M
"D:\clisp\lispinit.mem' where 'D:\CLISP' is the install directory of CLISP.
Be aware that the development version of Jabberwocky has a bug that causes
a problem when you try to install without adminstrative rights.

Let me know if you still have any problems.

Marc Mertens
············@skynet.be
From: Primeis
I checked my user and I have given myself admin rights.  Just now I even gave _myself_
rights to that drive in addition to group everyone.

I have both versions.  I've tried both versions.  I paid attention to your suggestions.  I
logged in as administrator thinking that this might help.  It didn't. I'm stumped.  Do you
think I could have made a mistake with the initial install of the OS?

I just don't understand why things went so well with my XP machine at work and not here.
I set that one up as well.  (I'm a sys admin/techie at work.)

Any other suggestions would be greatly welcome.  I haven't had time to do anything except
look at the interface at work.  I'm really interested in getting this program to work here
at home.

Thanks for your help.

From: Marc Mertens
Primeis wrote:

> I checked my user and I have given myself admin rights.  Just now I even
> gave _myself_ rights to that drive in addition to group everyone.
>
> I have both versions.  I've tried both versions.  I paid attention to your
> suggestions.  I
> logged in as administrator thinking that this might help.  It didn't. I'm
> stumped.  Do you think I could have made a mistake with the initial
> install of the OS?
>
> I just don't understand why things went so well with my XP machine at work
> and not here.
> I set that one up as well.  (I'm a sys admin/techie at work.)
>
> Any other suggestions would be greatly welcome.  I haven't had time to do
> anything except
> look at the interface at work.  I'm really interested in getting this
> program to work here at home.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 08:33:03 +0200, Marc Mertens <············@skynet.be>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>  I'm the maintainer of Jabberwocky, which version are you trying to
>>install?
>>
>>Version 1.x.y (the stable version) needs indeed the full path to the
>>clisp.bat file used to start CLISP.
>>Version 2.x.y howver needs the real command to start CLISP (this to avoid
>>problems in killing a lisp process on a W2K machine), in general this is
>>something like 'D:\clisp\lisp.exe" -B "D:/clisp/" -M
>>"D:\clisp\lispinit.mem' where 'D:\CLISP' is the install directory of
>>CLISP. Be aware that the development version of Jabberwocky has a bug that
>>causes a problem when you try to install without adminstrative rights.
>>
>>Let me know if you still have any problems.
>>
>>Marc Mertens
>>············@skynet.be

Can you try to start the installation from the command prompt and report
eventual messages displayed on the command prompt, what is the content of
the install log window? Sorry if you have posted this info already in this
newsgroup but I have just returned from holiday so I didn't read the
Have you a virus checker running, some people reported to me that some virus
checkers disabled redirection from a program causing the install program to
fail. Jabberwocky needs redirection to get at the output of the running
lisp section, if redirection does not work it is never able to check that
you are using the correct command to start CLISP.
For you information I did the install on a windows xp,w2k (server and
workstation) and w2003 beta machine without any problems. I can't imagine
that w2k itself is to blame (although some user reported me once that
reg.exe was missing on its machine, maybe you can check this).

Hopes this helps.

Marc Mertens
············@skynet.be
From: Primeis
Here is the output from the install routine.

<0>
<0> ! REG.EXE VERSION 2.0
<0>
<0> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\fasfile\Shell\Load_into_CLISP\command
<0>     <NO NAME>	REG_SZ	"P:\Programm.ing\clisp-2.30.1\lisp.exe" -B
"P:/Programm.ing/clisp-2.30.1/" -M "P:\Programm.ing\clisp-2.30.1\lispinit.mem" -i "%1"
<0>
<0>
<0>
<0> Error:  The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value
<0>
<0>
<0> Error:  The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value
<0>
<0>
<0>

I looked at the other two suggestions.  they are not an issue.

This came to mind a couple days ago.  Before the problem started I thought I had installed
jdk 1.4.1 and I hadn't. I made the mistake of running the setup.bat.  Then I realized I
had downloaded the jdk and hadn't installed it.  what difference would this make and is
there a way to rectify my mistake?

From: Marc Mertens
Hello,
    If I look at the output the following conclusions come to my mind.
        1. The two  'Error:  The system was unable to find the specified registry
key or
> value <0>' are not critical, they are caused because the installation
routine tries to find a ACL installation. Jabberwocky will work if either
CLISP or ACL is installed but one is enough, so if you have installed CLISP
but not ACL Jabberwocky should still work.
        2. The first lines says that the install routine has discoverd that CLISP
is installed in P:\Programm.ing\clisp-2.30.1 which seems a bit odd to me,
can you verify that this directory really exist and that it contains the
lisp.exe and lispinit.mem file. If this is not the case then the register
settings for the clisp installation are somehow corrupt, there are
different ways to work arround this problem.
        A. You can let the install routine of CLISP repairs it registry settings,
to do this go to the install directory from CLISP and start install.bat,
when it it asks to Associate types ... with CLISP be sure to answer y.
After the the install routine of CLISP restart the setup.cmd from
Jabberwocky which should in proinciple work now.
        B. If A. fails you can start setup.cmd of Jabberwocky and press the button
with the three dots after the input field for CLISP and browse to the
lisp.exe file located in the CLISP install directory. If you select this
file Jabberwocky should then fill in the input field for you and enable the
CLISP checkbox and the install button.
        C. If C. fails you can try to type the lisp command manual in the CLISP
input field, it should be something like (<path> is the install directory
of CLISP) and don't forget the double quotes)

  I don't think that the fact that you forget to install the JDK is causing
any problems.

  Let me know if you still have a problem.

Marc Mertens
············@skynet.be

PS. Maybe it is better to send me a e-mail then to do the support via the
comp.lang.lisp newsgroup, I'm not always reading the newsgroup and I can
imagine that most readers of the group consider Jabberwocky a little bit
off topic.