From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Need help w/ cliki
either I forgot the trick or there's a problem with cliki.

"create new page", when it even responds, just leads (after supplying
the name) to a page showing that name but saying it does not exist and
to create it. rinse, repeat. i tried "edit page" on that but it's a NOP.
this from both netscape and ie, afer being reported by a mozillan.

funny thing is, i remember being stumped like this early on when I created:

    http://www.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Survey

...but if so I cannot recall the secret to getting past this. Maybe I
should release the owl, pick up the candlestick and dive into the pond?

:)

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc

From: Tayss
Subject: Re: Need help w/ cliki
I sent in this bugreport.  The trick is to link to the nonexistent
page you wanna create (say, in the sandbox) and click the link to edit
the page.

I thought I was the only one.  ("Why do I always get the broken
one?!")

Tayss

From: Kenny Tilton
Tayss wrote:
> I sent in this bugreport.  The trick is to link to the nonexistent
> page you wanna create (say, in the sandbox) and click the link to edit
> the page.

I'll remember that next time, but for now the problem is fixed. (Thanks,
Daniel.)

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Paging Daniel Barlow [was Re: Need help w/ cliki]
OK, now edit page on a newly created page begins an edit session which
when saved seems to have no effect all. Check multiple brave efforts to
add Mr. Burdick's Road to Lisp responses.

Tayss wrote:
> I sent in this bugreport.  The trick is to link to the nonexistent
> page you wanna create (say, in the sandbox) and click the link to edit
> the page.

I tried that, no dice. Might have been a coinky-dink that you tried that
during the window when all was well?

From: Tayss
Subject: Re: Paging Daniel Barlow [was Re: Need help w/ cliki]
Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<················@nyc.rr.com>...
> OK, now edit page on a newly created page begins an edit session which
> when saved seems to have no effect all. Check multiple brave efforts to
> add Mr. Burdick's Road to Lisp responses.
>
> Tayss wrote:
> > I sent in this bugreport.  The trick is to link to the nonexistent
> > page you wanna create (say, in the sandbox) and click the link to edit
> > the page.
>
> I tried that, no dice. Might have been a coinky-dink that you tried that
> during the window when all was well?

No, I found the workaround back in July 23, when I went nuts that I
couldn't create a new page.  But you probably can't fix Thomas F.
Burdick's page due to another bug -- when I tried creating Carlos E.
C. Artime's road to lisp page, it basically messed up just like
Burdick's.  I think it has something to do with the "." in both their
names.

My workaround was to create a new page without the periods.
From: Kenny Tilton
Thank you (and Daniel)...full stops are out, Thomas is in. kt

From: Daniel Barlow
Subject: Re: Paging Daniel Barlow

> OK, now edit page on a newly created page begins an edit session which
> when saved seems to have no effect all. Check multiple brave efforts
> to add Mr. Burdick's Road to Lisp responses.

You put a dot in his name.  Don't put dots in page names.

> I tried that, no dice. Might have been a coinky-dink that you tried
> that during the window when all was well?

All is still well, insofar as it has ever been.  But dots in page
names aren't supported, due to some really rather tacky code for
translating page names to pathnames.

This might get fixed one day, but it would require paging large parts
of cliki back into my brain, which is too small already.  So, in the
short term it's just easier to tell people not to. ;-)

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Daniel Barlow

> either I forgot the trick or there's a problem with cliki.

The latter, it seems.  I wonder why was doing that?

> funny thing is, i remember being stumped like this early on when I created:

I think this behaviour was new with the spiffy stylesheet.  Should be
fixed now, anyway

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Chris Perkins
Daniel Barlow <···@telent.net> wrote in message
> I think this behaviour was new with the spiffy stylesheet.  Should be
> fixed now, anyway
>

> -dan

Was anything lost?  There are some duds in the "Road to Lisp" survey
section, and at least one survey (mine) that is on the CLiki site if
you search by name or look at a complete list of pages, but does not
appear in the list of surveys.

Chris Perkins
From: Kenny Tilton
Chris Perkins wrote:
> Daniel Barlow <···@telent.net> wrote in message
>
>>I think this behaviour was new with the spiffy stylesheet.  Should be
>>fixed now, anyway
>>

>>-dan
>

> Was anything lost?  There are some duds in the "Road to Lisp" survey
> section, and at least one survey (mine) that is on the CLiki site if
> you search by name or look at a complete list of pages, but does not
> appear in the list of surveys.

OK, I got you linked in, and congratulations, you are now #1 on:

    http://www.cliki.net/Kenny's%20RtLS%20Top-Ten

All that happened was that somehow the *() around the key phrase The
Road to Lisp Survey got deleted, and that incantation is what makes the
auto-list mechanism in Cliki work.

The only bad news is that I have been pounding mercilessly on the person
with my favorite RtL story and he is beginning to weaken, might pony up
soon.

Hey, I hear Linux Weekly News mentioned the Road to Lisp Survey in the
Announcements/Noncommercial section. This could get interesting, never
mind circular.

Final Q: I have been maintaining my taxonomies somewhat (as in
extremely) tediously by hand. Is it Kosher to edit folks' responses to
add necessary *(<taxonomy>) tokens (in italics, the rule seems to be) to
  avoid manually editing each taxonomy for each new response? So you'd see:

*(rtl when 90s) *(rtl road paul) *(rtl road emacs)

at the bottom of each response.