From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Problems with gcltk
Greetings, and thanks for your interest in GCL!  Just saw your post.
BTW, ·········@gnu.org is the list for GCL problems.

In any case, the issue you cite has been fixed in recent CVS, as well
as in the CVS branch for the soon to be released 2.5.4.  So far, there
is an as yet unresolved issue with tk8.4, but earlier versions should
work fine.  Perhaps you could help us spot the 8.4 issue.

Please let me know if you need cvs instructions.

Take care,

Dear All,

I have been experimenting with Lisp for the past few weeks, and have found
it to be *far* more than I was either told or believed. As a result, I want
to convert some of the projects I am working on into Lisp, using GCL. This
is handy for me, since the Tk interface is used in some of the Perl scripts
I want to convert.

However, I am having great trouble getting it to run a Tk interface in the
first place. I have compiled GCL v2.5.3 from scratch, and it successfully
found all the Tk libraries with no problem. When I try to run the demo
programs, starting by entering (si::tkconnect), I get the following
message:

start address -T 0x8535000 Finished loading
/usr/local/lib/gcl-2.5.3/gcl-tk/tkl.o

(which, I assume, is fine. Then....)

Error: SYSTEM:OPEN-NAMED-SOCKET [or a callee] requires less than two
arguments.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by SYSTEM:OPEN-NAMED-SOCKET.
Broken at SYSTEM:OPEN-NAMED-SOCKET.  Type :H for Help.

Needless to say, the demos won't run. Okay, so while I am not a newbie with
Linux or programming, but I am with Lisp and GCL in particular, and cannot
figure this one out. The DISPLAY variable is definitely set, so that
problem highlighted in the readme isn't it. This problem doesn't occur in
the 2.4 series, just the 2.5.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Dela
--