From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Announcement: The regex coach
In order to learn Lispworks CAPI programming I decided to write a
'real' program (instead of just doing little examples). The idea I
came up with is an interactive regex tutor which is based on my
CL-PPCRE library. I admit this might not be very interesting for Lisp
programmers but some Perl/PHP guys I know really like it... :)

I think it is a halfway decent showcase for what you can do with
CAPI. (I haven't found any downloadable examples online except for
Wade Humeniuk's "Runner's Log".)

I have to say that it was a real pleasure to write this little app in
my spare time. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the last program I've used
CAPI for.

Not to mention that Lisp's dynamic nature allowed me to 'hook' into
the CL-PPCRE regex engine in various ways without touching the engine
itself, i.e. I was able to query the parser while it was running using
DEFADVICE and :AROUND methods without changing a single line of code
of CL-PPCRE (although it was never written with this kind of
application in mind). I wonder how I would have done this had I
written the program in Perl... :)

Here's the URL in case you want to look at it:

  <http://weitz.de/regex-coach/>.

Thanks in advance for constructive criticism and bug reports.

Cheers,
Edi.

From: Herb Martin
Subject: Re: Announcement: The regex coach
> Here's the URL in case you want to look at it:
>
>   <http://weitz.de/regex-coach/>.

Cool -- you should post a link in Comp.Lang.Perl.Misc

--
Herb Martin
Try ADDS for great Weather too:

From: Juho Snellman

If you really want to know, read <http://perl.plover.com/Rx/paper/>.

--
Juho Snellman
From: Jeff Caldwell
Summary for those not wishing to read the referenced paper:

Let Perl compile the regexp, comb through the compiled bytecode and
return an instrumented version of the bytecode.

Some interesting quotes:

"<BOAST>This paper, and the package it describes, won the 2001 Larry
Wall Award for Practical Utility.</BOAST>"

"...Larry had this idea in 1998, and as far as I can tell nobody paid
any attention to him. ... Lesson number 2 is that Larry's a genius and
we all don't pay as much attention to him as we should."

So congratulations to Edi.

Jeff

From: Reini Urban
Edi Weitz schrieb:
>   <http://weitz.de/regex-coach/>.

The windows version does work for me. I have no LispWorks installed here.

I:\dev\lisp\The Regex Coach>"The Regex Coach"
Zugriff verweigert

I:\dev\lisp\The Regex Coach>mv "The Regex Coach.exe" Coach.exe

I:\dev\lisp\The Regex Coach>Coach
Zugriff verweigert

I:\dev\lisp\The Regex Coach>strace Coach.exe
strace: error creating process Coach.exe, (error 5)
--
Reini Urban - Programmer - http://inode.at
From: Edi Weitz
Reini Urban <······@inode.at> writes:

> The windows version does work for me. I have no LispWorks installed
> here.

Was that a typo? The lines below look like you _have_ problems with
the Windows version.

> I:\dev\lisp\The Regex Coach>"The Regex Coach"
> Zugriff verweigert
>
> I:\dev\lisp\The Regex Coach>mv "The Regex Coach.exe" Coach.exe
>
> I:\dev\lisp\The Regex Coach>Coach
> Zugriff verweigert
>
> I:\dev\lisp\The Regex Coach>strace Coach.exe
> strace: error creating process Coach.exe, (error 5)

I'm sorry I can't help much because I'm not a Windows expert - I'm
relying on Lispwork's ability to create working executables. I had
about a dozen people (none of which ever had LW installed on their
machines) beta-test the app on Windows and everything worked fine for
them.

What does "error 5" mean? Do you have the same problems when
double-clicking the app in Windows Explorer?

Cheers,
Edi.
From: Jeff Caldwell
At least one error 5 in Windows means "Access is denied".

From: Edi Weitz
Reini Urban <······@inode.at> writes:

> Edi Weitz schrieb:
> >   <http://weitz.de/regex-coach/>.
>
> The windows version does work for me. I have no LispWorks installed
> here.

Assuming that you mean that it does _not_ work for you - there's now a
new version (0.4) online which (thanks to Ian H.) includes a Windows
installer. So far, nobody else has reported similar problems so you
might want to give it another try.

Let me know if it works,
Edi.