From: Paul Tarvydas
Subject: CL compiler internals
I would enjoy knowing more about the innards of modern Common Lisp compilers
(I know a fair amount about C-like compilers - I would like to expand my
knowledge).

Any suggestions for online docs / books?

Failing that, I can read source code.  Is the source code to some
open-source CL compiler "better" than others?

thanx
pt

From: ozan s yigit
Subject: Re: CL compiler internals
Paul Tarvydas <········@attcanada.ca> writes:

> Any suggestions for online docs / books?

paul, i once found some fairly useful implementor notes about cmu common
lisp; some of them are here:
http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/library/docs/encycmuclopedia/doc/#internals

oz
---
music is the space between the notes. -- claude debussy
From: Barry Margolin
In article <····················@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
Paul Tarvydas  <········@attcanada.ca> wrote:
>I would enjoy knowing more about the innards of modern Common Lisp compilers
>(I know a fair amount about C-like compilers - I would like to expand my
>knowledge).
>
>Any suggestions for online docs / books?
>
>Failing that, I can read source code.  Is the source code to some
>open-source CL compiler "better" than others?

Bernie Greenberg once wrote a paper describing the design of the Multics
Maclisp compiler, and I think it was inspired by a similar paper (probably
by Dave Moon) about the ITS MACLISP compiler.  These aren't "modern" by any
means, and they're not Common Lisp either, but many of the issues haven't
changed over the years, except that there are some significant differences
between modern CPU architectures and those of mainframes designed in the
70's.

Try googling for them and see if it turns up anything.

--
Barry Margolin, ··············@level3.com
Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA
From: Henrik Motakef
Paul Tarvydas <········@attcanada.ca> writes:

> I would enjoy knowing more about the innards of modern Common Lisp compilers
> (I know a fair amount about C-like compilers - I would like to expand my
> knowledge).
>
> Any suggestions for online docs / books?
>
> Failing that, I can read source code.  Is the source code to some
> open-source CL compiler "better" than others?

"Lisp In Small Pieces" is a book often mentioned.

If you really want to study an existing compiler: Python�, the compiler
used by CMUCL and SBCL, is in the public domain, and does an amazingly
great job, better than lots of commercial ones. There is a Wiki on
SBCL internals at <http://sbcl-internals.cliki.net>, maybe you'll find
something interesting there.

Regards
Henrik