From: Nikodemus Siivola
Subject: Terminology & jargon
What's the correct terminology to use about this:

 (in-package foo)
 (defun princ () ...)

I mean, it's not a redefinition. Would shadowing be correct? Or local
redefinition? Or package-local definition?

Also, I have been wondering do people perceive any special meaning in the
word lispnik? Jargon-file says nothing.

Is it just the laid-back variant of lisper? A deregatory term? Someone who
writes lisp like a poem? A lifestyle-lisper? A lisper who is old enough to
be part of the beat-generation as well?

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus

From: Scott McKay
Subject: Re: Terminology & jargon
"Nikodemus Siivola" <········@kekkonen.cs.hut.fi> wrote in message
···················@midnight.cs.hut.fi...
> What's the correct terminology to use about this:
>
>  (in-package foo)
>  (defun princ () ...)

If the 'foo' package uses the CL package, then it's a redefinition.

If the 'foo' package shadows 'princ', then it's a shadowing.

From: Kenny Tilton
Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
> What's the correct terminology to use about this:
>
>  (in-package foo)
>  (defun princ () ...)
>
> I mean, it's not a redefinition. Would shadowing be correct? Or local
> redefinition? Or package-local definition?
>
> Also, I have been wondering do people perceive any special meaning in the
> word lispnik? Jargon-file says nothing.

Too new for the jargon file, and too soon to tell if it will stick as a
replacement for lisper (but that is what some would like). Coined a
couple of months ago by a drinking buddy of mine who saw "lispnyc" (new
user group) and decided it should be pronounced "lispnik". perhaps
because he is a classical musician. connection to beat generation
deliberate. caught on pretty fast, but let's see if it has legs.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
From: Nikodemus Siivola
Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> couple of months ago by a drinking buddy of mine who saw "lispnyc" (new
> user group) and decided it should be pronounced "lispnik". perhaps

Wierd in the extreme.

I could have sworn I've been seeing it on and off for the last few
years... But google has no references prior to 2003, so it seems I must
have had something illegal.

But a good word, definitely.

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Nikodemus Siivola <········@kekkonen.cs.hut.fi> writes:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > couple of months ago by a drinking buddy of mine who saw "lispnyc" (new
> > user group) and decided it should be pronounced "lispnik". perhaps
>
> Wierd in the extreme.
>
> I could have sworn I've been seeing it on and off for the last few
> years... But google has no references prior to 2003, so it seems I must
> have had something illegal.
>
> But a good word, definitely.
>
> Cheers,
>
>   -- Nikodemus

I may be  wrong, but I believe that -nik  suffix is Russian equivalent
to English -er suffix. (Or at least -ik).

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.
From: Kenny Tilton
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Nikodemus Siivola <········@kekkonen.cs.hut.fi> writes:
>

>>Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>>>couple of months ago by a drinking buddy of mine who saw "lispnyc" (new
>>>user group) and decided it should be pronounced "lispnik". perhaps
>>
>>Wierd in the extreme.
>>
>>I could have sworn I've been seeing it on and off for the last few
>>years... But google has no references prior to 2003, so it seems I must
>>have had something illegal.
>>
>>But a good word, definitely.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>  -- Nikodemus
>

> I may be  wrong, but I believe that -nik  suffix is Russian equivalent
> to English -er suffix. (Or at least -ik).

google says you are right, and now that you mention it, the coiner and I
liked the resonance of lispnik with sputnik as well as beatnik.

from: http://www.etymonline.com/n2etym.htm

from: http://www.bartleby.com/61/72/N0107200.html
> �nik
>
> SUFFIX: One associated with or characterized by: beatnik; peacenik.
> ETYMOLOGY: YiddishRussian (Yiddish, from Russian), of Slavic origin.

My Oxford Encyclopedic dictionary (as well as at least one googled
etymology not quoted above) think beatnik was in fact borrowed directly
from sputnik.

From: Michael Sullivan
Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> from: http://www.bartleby.com/61/72/N0107200.html
> > �nik
> >
> > SUFFIX: One associated with or characterized by: beatnik; peacenik.
> > ETYMOLOGY: YiddishRussian (Yiddish, from Russian), of Slavic origin.
>
> My Oxford Encyclopedic dictionary (as well as at least one googled
> etymology not quoted above) think beatnik was in fact borrowed directly
> from sputnik.

So the interesting question becomes:  What is "sput"?

Michael
From: Pierpaolo BERNARDI
"Michael Sullivan" <·······@bcect.com> ha scritto nel messaggio ···································@bcect.com...

> So the interesting question becomes:  What is "sput"?

s = with
put' = path
-nik = suffix for person.

hence sputnik = voyage companion  = satellite.
Satellite instead is from latin satelles/satellites = 'body guard'.

P.
From: Alex Goncharov
| Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
| > Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
| > from: http://www.bartleby.com/61/72/N0107200.html
| > > -nik
| > >
| > > SUFFIX: One associated with or characterized by: beatnik; peacenik.
| > > ETYMOLOGY: YiddishRussian (Yiddish, from Russian), of Slavic origin.
| >
| > My Oxford Encyclopedic dictionary (as well as at least one googled
| > etymology not quoted above) think beatnik was in fact borrowed directly
| > from sputnik.
|
| So the interesting question becomes:  What is "sput"?

Nothing :-).

The etymology of relevant Russian words is as follows:

  - "put'" (with the soft "t")
    -- way, road, route
      --- widely used both in older and modern Russian.

  - "putnik"
   -- one who is moving/traveling somewhere.
     --- it's rather uncommon to hear this in the modern Russian

  - "sputnik"
   -- one who is traveling *with* somebody else.
      --- widely used both in older and modern Russian.

The "s" in "sputnik" is used for "with", e.g.:

    "Bandit s dollarami" (Rus.) --> "Bandit with dollars" (Eng.)

Here is how "sputnik" might be used:

   "I was traveling to England.  My *sputnik* was a young and
    attractive lady..."

"Sputnik" is mostly known to modern people as something traveling
*with* a planet: the Moon is a natural sputnik and (AFAIR) "SP-1"
launched in 1957 was the first human-made Earth's sputnik
(a.k.a. "satellite").

Merriam-Webster would tell one almost as much, in fact:

    Main Entry: sputnik
    Pronunciation: 'sput-nik, 'sp&t-, 'sp�t-
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Russian, literally, traveling companion,
               from s, so with + put' path
    Date: 1957
    : SATELLITE 2b

From: Boris Smilga
Alex Goncharov <····@attbi.com> writes:

> | So the interesting question becomes:  What is "sput"?
>
> Nothing :-).
>
> The etymology of relevant Russian words is as follows:
>
>   - "put'" (with the soft "t")
>     -- way, road, route
>       --- widely used both in older and modern Russian.
>
>   - "putnik"
>    -- one who is moving/traveling somewhere.
>      --- it's rather uncommon to hear this in the modern Russian
>
>   - "sputnik"
>    -- one who is traveling *with* somebody else.
>       --- widely used both in older and modern Russian.

It should be mentioned that many other Russian words are built
according to the same pattern:

- so+trud+nik, "labour-companion", i.e. colleague or employee;
- so+kurs+nik, "class-companion", i.e. fellow student (in college);
- so+butyl'+nik, "bottle-companion", i.e. convive;
- s+rod+nik, "lineage-companion", i.e. kinsman (an archaic word);
- so+besed+nik, "conversation-companion", i.e. interlocutor;

etc., etc.

Btw., Alex is not right in claiming that "sputnik" is derived from
"putnik"; that's a slightly different formation pattern.

                                                      Yours,
                                                        B. Smilga.
From: Nikodemus Siivola
Oops. My bad, it should (naturally!) have been:

(defpackage "FOO"
  (:use "CL")
  (:shadow "PRINC"))

  (in-package "FOO")