From: Jerome Chan
Subject: Lisp in Singapore
Hi! A very long shot in case there is someone in Singapore who's
interested in lisp! Anyone?

From: Ng Pheng Siong
Subject: Re: Lisp in Singapore
According to Jerome Chan  <········@rocketmail.com>:
> Hi! A very long shot in case there is someone in Singapore who's
> interested in lisp! Anyone?

Yup.

Hmm, ISTR you asking before? And I was asking if you were looking for
employers to work for, or employees to hire, or just people to network
with?

Or was that in c.l.smalltalk? ;-)

I've asked around a bit; I only found one Lisp person some months back.

CS dept in NUS appear to be teaching SICP with Scheme.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <····@netmemetic.com>

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL
From: Rand Sobriquet
····@netmemetic.com (Ng Pheng Siong) wrote in message news:<············@mawar.singnet.com.sg>...
> According to Jerome Chan  <········@rocketmail.com>:
> > Hi! A very long shot in case there is someone in Singapore who's
> > interested in lisp! Anyone?
>
> Yup.
>
> Hmm, ISTR you asking before? And I was asking if you were looking for
> employers to work for, or employees to hire, or just people to network
> with?
>
> Or was that in c.l.smalltalk? ;-)
>
> I've asked around a bit; I only found one Lisp person some months back.
>
> CS dept in NUS appear to be teaching SICP with Scheme.

I act as a technology consultant with an investment group in Asia. I'm
not a REAL Lisp programmer (I learned a little last year), but I know
enough to assess code quality and reduce scheduling deviation.

I was recently involved with supervising a Common Lisp project in KL.
My CL programmers told me that Lisp is pretty rare in Malaysia but
there are rumored to be two extremely profitable Lisp companies
around: one in Penang selling engineering and factory automation
software and one in JB that does financial modeling with constraints.
Not in the MSC, you would have noticed, because the MSC is a dung heap
infested with the refuse of the world.  Well anyway...

I bought all my Lisp books (including "On Lisp") from the Borders
Singapore at Orchard Rd. so I imagine there are a few Lispers around
Singapore.

I think this is the curse of the commercial Lisp programmer.  You
write a great application with a lot of functionality in Lisp, but its
only 4000 lines. So you think "Geez only 4000 lines; that's not too
much intellectual property there.  Any Lisp programmer can duplicate
this work if they know the domain.  hmmmmmmmm.......I think I'll keep
quiet about the lisp part for now."
From: Jerome Chan
In article <············@mawar.singnet.com.sg>,
 ····@netmemetic.com (Ng Pheng Siong) wrote:

> According to Jerome Chan  <········@rocketmail.com>:
> > Hi! A very long shot in case there is someone in Singapore who's
> > interested in lisp! Anyone?
>
> Yup.
>
> Hmm, ISTR you asking before? And I was asking if you were looking for
> employers to work for, or employees to hire, or just people to network
> with?
>
> Or was that in c.l.smalltalk? ;-)
>
> I've asked around a bit; I only found one Lisp person some months back.
>
> CS dept in NUS appear to be teaching SICP with Scheme.

That was for Smalltalk. :P