From: Marc Spitzer
Subject: lisp nyc reminder
The next meeting of lispnyc is on May 13.  The regular date is the
second Tuesday of the month for the general meeting.

See you there,

marc

From: Andrzej Lewandowski
Subject: Re: lisp nyc reminder
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:33:59 GMT, Marc Spitzer
<········@optonline.net> wrote:

>The next meeting of lispnyc is on May 13.  The regular date is the
>second Tuesday of the month for the general meeting.
>
>See you there,
>
>marc

Where?...

A.L.
From: Kenny Tilton
Andrzej Lewandowski wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:33:59 GMT, Marc Spitzer
> <········@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>The next meeting of lispnyc is on May 13.  The regular date is the
>>second Tuesday of the month for the general meeting.
>>
>>See you there,
>>
>>marc
>

> Where?...

Good f**king question, tho to date they have been held at (the
(downstairs lounge in the) sports bar) Time Out on Amsterdam between,
help me, 76th & 77th (on the east side of the street, big awning, cant
miss).

And unbeknownst to Marc this meeting actually has a purpose, it's "Meet
Thomas F. Burdick" night, flown in to share (informally, beers-in-hand)
some research on ... uh, waiting for the synopsis, but... no, I better
be quiet. OK! Program correctness, machine-code level, HLL-independent.
Something like that.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
From: Marc Spitzer

> Andrzej Lewandowski wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:33:59 GMT, Marc Spitzer
> > <········@optonline.net> wrote:
> >
> >> The next meeting of lispnyc is on May 13.  The regular date is the
> >> second Tuesday of the month for the general meeting.
> >>
> >>See you there,
> >>
> >>marc
> > Where?...
>
> Good f**king question, tho to date they have been held at (the
> (downstairs lounge in the) sports bar) Time Out on Amsterdam between,
> help me, 76th & 77th (on the east side of the street, big awning, cant
> miss).

We have not confirmed the room yet.  I just wanted to get the date
and time out so people could clear their schedules and put it in
their book/palm of life.  There were complaints last time about
the short notice for the meeting.

> And unbeknownst to Marc this meeting actually has a purpose, it's
> "Meet Thomas F. Burdick" night, flown in to share (informally,
> beers-in-hand) some research on ... uh, waiting for the synopsis,
> but... no, I better be quiet. OK! Program correctness, machine-code
> level, HLL-independent. Something like that.

Does it have anything to do with a big fiddle you stick between your
legs?

And Kenny all the meetings serve a purpose, they serve good beer
on tap and have a pretty good group of people there.

marc
From: John Fraser
To bad I'm in Virginia...Beer and Lisp, what could be better?

--
John Fraser
···················@bogomips.optonline.net...

From: Marc Spitzer
"John Fraser" <···············@verizon.net> writes:

> To bad I'm in Virginia...Beer and Lisp, what could be better?

Start your own group.  Post an announcement here of where and
when, pick a slow night and you should have no problem finding
a quite bar to do in in.

Good luck

marc
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Marc Spitzer <········@optonline.net> writes:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>
> > And unbeknownst to Marc this meeting actually has a purpose, it's
> > "Meet Thomas F. Burdick" night, flown in to share (informally,
> > beers-in-hand) some research on ... uh, waiting for the synopsis,
> > but... no, I better be quiet. OK! Program correctness, machine-code
> > level, HLL-independent. Something like that.
>
> Does it have anything to do with a big fiddle you stick between your
> legs?

Marc, this is a family group!  It's about testae ...

If you're wondering what a "testa" is, you're not up on your biology.
Here's a synopsys, useful even for botanists:

  Testa: Software verification without compiler support

  Testa is a software verification system, written in Common Lisp.  It
  supports the Proof-Carrying Code model put forward by Necula, among
  others.  Unlike current systems, which require special compiler
  support, Testa operates directly on machine code, which not only
  allows it to be used with systems written in arbitrary programming
  languages, but also makes it robust in the face of compiler bugs.
  Currently, Testa attempts to ensure the memory safety of Darwin (the
  Mac OS X kernel) extensions.  In the future, we plan to have Testa
  work with more complicated safety predicates, including various
  definitions of thread safety.

  Software verification of arbitrary machine code is a difficult
  problem, that has not been sufficiently explored, and cannot be solved
  in the general case.  Because of this, Common Lisp was a major asset
  in our development process.  We have regularly found ourselves in the
  debugger and explored the current state of our in-memory graphs, to
  discover that we needed to change a part of our approach.  We were
  able to prototype a solution, and restart without losing our state.
  If we had used a more conventional language, we would have spent so
  much of our time battling the language, that we could not have
  attempted the problem, given our limited man-hours for the project.

  About the name: "testa" is a term from plant biology, for the maternal
  diploid tissue that protects the rest of the seed.  That is to say, it
  protects the kernel.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Olivier Drolet
···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) wrote in message news:<···············@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>...

> If you're wondering what a "testa" is, you're not up on your biology.
> Here's a synopsys, useful even for botanists:
>
>   Testa: Software verification without compiler support
>
>   Testa is a software verification system, written in Common Lisp.  It

Can you give us a reference for Testa, possibly on the web?

Thanks.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
·······@mac.com (Olivier Drolet) writes:

> ···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) wrote in message news:<···············@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>...

> > If you're wondering what a "testa" is, you're not up on your biology.
> > Here's a synopsys, useful even for botanists:
> >
> >   Testa: Software verification without compiler support
> >
> >   Testa is a software verification system, written in Common Lisp.  It
>
> Can you give us a reference for Testa, possibly on the web?

I don't suppose you'd be happy with this?
<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=xcvwuhgvheq.fsf%40famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU>

It's an active research project, so it doesn't have any kind of home.
At some point in the not too distant future, there should be a paper.
Watch this space, or e-mail me privately, and I'll add you to my list
of people who'll get e-mailed with any news about Testa.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Kenny Tilton
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> Marc Spitzer <········@optonline.net> writes:
>

>>Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>>

>>>And unbeknownst to Marc this meeting actually has a purpose, it's
>>>"Meet Thomas F. Burdick" night, flown in to share (informally,
>>>beers-in-hand) some research on ... uh, waiting for the synopsis,
>>>but... no, I better be quiet. OK! Program correctness, machine-code
>>>level, HLL-independent. Something like that.
>>
>>Does it have anything to do with a big fiddle you stick between your
>>legs?
>

> Marc, this is a family group!  It's about testae ...

The best part is that that line was originally delivered as marc's first
words ever to my date (who joined us after a meeting) upon learning she
was a cellist.

And we thought he was a loose cannon here on c.l.l. :)

From: Paolo Amoroso
On 26 Apr 2003 18:49:17 -0700, ···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F.
Burdick) wrote:

>   About the name: "testa" is a term from plant biology, for the maternal
>   diploid tissue that protects the rest of the seed.  That is to say, it
>   protects the kernel.

It's also the Italian for "head".

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> On 26 Apr 2003 18:49:17 -0700, ···@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F.
> Burdick) wrote:
>
> >   About the name: "testa" is a term from plant biology, for the maternal
> >   diploid tissue that protects the rest of the seed.  That is to say, it
> >   protects the kernel.
>
> It's also the Italian for "head".

Yeah, this was also intentional :)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Bill Clementson

> And unbeknownst to Marc this meeting actually has a purpose, it's
> "Meet Thomas F. Burdick" night, flown in to share (informally,
> beers-in-hand) some research on ... uh, waiting for the synopsis,
> but... no, I better be quiet. OK! Program correctness, machine-code
> level, HLL-independent. Something like that.

Hey, how did you get him to agree to fly out to speak to the NYC group?
No fair, we want a "Meet Thomas F. Burdick" night here in Colorado too!
:)

--
Bill Clementson
From: Kenny Tilton
Bill Clementson wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>

>>And unbeknownst to Marc this meeting actually has a purpose, it's
>>"Meet Thomas F. Burdick" night, flown in to share (informally,
>>beers-in-hand) some research on ... uh, waiting for the synopsis,
>>but... no, I better be quiet. OK! Program correctness, machine-code
>>level, HLL-independent. Something like that.
>

> Hey, how did you get him to agree to fly out to speak to the NYC group?

Actually, Thomas is totally up front about the danger of getting him
started on testa. it's a real "twist my arm, please" kinda thing. can
you believe the way some people get caught up in their pet projects?!

I can't help you land Mr. Burdick, but when the snow comes back (jan
'94?) let's talk about an "Omigod, We Killed Kenny" night.

:)

From: Bill Clementson

> I can't help you land Mr. Burdick, but when the snow comes back (jan
> '94?) let's talk about an "Omigod, We Killed Kenny" night.

Great - I've penciled you in for the Jan '04 meeting. How about you talk
to us about Cells before you head up to the slopes (just in case you
misjudge the half-pipes) :)

--
Bill Clementson