From: John Fraser
Subject: setf

------=_NextPart_000_0078_01C30B57.EB2756B0

What does the `f' stand for in `setf'?  I started to read Graham's book =
and this question has been nagging at me.  `p' is for predicate, but I =
can't think of anything that `f' would stand for.  I couldn't find =
anything that made sense in the Hyperspec (probably because I haven't =
yet assimilated a working idea of the language).

Please forgive my question, if stupid.  I'm moving from Scheme to CL and =
I am trying to get familiar with the new landscape.

Thanks!

--=20
John Fraser

------=_NextPart_000_0078_01C30B57.EB2756B0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>What does the `f' stand for in `setf'?&nbsp; I =
started=20
to read Graham's book and this question has been nagging at me.&nbsp; =
`p' is for=20
predicate, but I can't think of anything that `f' would stand for.&nbsp; =
I=20
couldn't find anything that made sense in the Hyperspec (probably =
because I=20
haven't yet assimilated a working&nbsp;idea of the =
language).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Please forgive my question, if stupid.&nbsp; =
I'm moving=20
from Scheme to CL and I am trying to get familiar with the new=20
landscape.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana>Thanks!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT face=3DVerdana>-- <BR>John =
Fraser</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0078_01C30B57.EB2756B0--
From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: setf
In article <··················@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
John Fraser <···············@verizon.net> wrote:
>What does the `f' stand for in `setf'?  I started to read Graham's book
>and this question has been nagging at me.  `p' is for predicate, but I
>can't think of anything that `f' would stand for.  I couldn't find
>anything that made sense in the Hyperspec (probably because I haven't yet
>assimilated a working idea of the language).

I think it stands for "form", which is what we used to call expressions.

--
Barry Margolin, ··············@level3.com
Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA