From: Gabe Garza
Subject: UNIX-HATERS Handbook online
http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/uhh.pdf

I've been looking for this for a while (it's long out of print), and
was thrilled to stumble across this a couple days ago (I believe this
is somewhat recent as the "official" web site only includes a single
chapter).

Anyone wondering about the relevance to Lisp should note the prominent
clue in the title and read the book, which is remniscent of the "Worse
is Better" essay poisoned by a great deal of amusing angst.

Gabe Garza

From: Gorbag
Subject: Re: UNIX-HATERS Handbook online
On 4/23/03 5:21 PM, in article ··············@ix.netcom.com, "Gabe Garza"
<·······@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/uhh.pdf
>
> I've been looking for this for a while (it's long out of print), and
> was thrilled to stumble across this a couple days ago (I believe this
> is somewhat recent as the "official" web site only includes a single
> chapter).
>
> Anyone wondering about the relevance to Lisp should note the prominent
> clue in the title and read the book, which is remniscent of the "Worse
> is Better" essay poisoned by a great deal of amusing angst.
>
> Gabe Garza

Hey, it's missing the barf bag! That was the best part of the original
printing... (Not that I know how to pdf a barf bag, but they could have at
least included the graphic and quote).
From: Donald Fisk
Gorbag wrote:

> Hey, it's missing the barf bag! That was the best part of the original
> printing... (Not that I know how to pdf a barf bag, but they could have at
> least included the graphic and quote).
You'll find a link to the barfbag on
http://tns-www.lcs.mit.edu/~izzy/barfbag.html

Le Hibou
--
In any large organization, mediocrity is almost by definition
an overwhelming phenomenon; the systematic disqualification
From: Peter Seibel
Gabe Garza <·······@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/uhh.pdf
>
> I've been looking for this for a while (it's long out of print), and
> was thrilled to stumble across this a couple days ago (I believe
> this is somewhat recent as the "official" web site only includes a
> single chapter).

Looks like they've updated the official web site too now. This is
great news--I read a couple chapters from a friend's copy but didn't
have the wit to steal it when I had the chance.

-Peter

  The intellectual level needed   for  system design is  in  general
  grossly  underestimated. I am  convinced  more than ever that this
  type of work is very difficult and that every effort to do it with
  other than the best people is doomed to either failure or moderate
  success at enormous expense. --Edsger Dijkstra