From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Historical documents about LOOP?
Anyone have any pointers to documents on the early history of the LOOP
macro? I'm interested in where it came from and what the original
designers were trying to do.

-Peter

  The intellectual level needed   for  system design is  in  general
  grossly  underestimated. I am  convinced  more than ever that this
  type of work is very difficult and that every effort to do it with
  other than the best people is doomed to either failure or moderate
  success at enormous expense. --Edsger Dijkstra

From: Tim Daly, Jr.
Subject: Re: Historical documents about LOOP?
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:

> Anyone have any pointers to documents on the early history of the LOOP
> macro? I'm interested in where it came from and what the original
> designers were trying to do.
>
> -Peter

I've heard JonL White referred to as the "father of LOOP".

LOOP is mentioned a few times in Gabriel's "The History of Lisp", to
be found here: http://www.dreamsongs.com/Essays.html .

That's it.  I'm a cretin, historically.

-Tim

From: Gabe Garza
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:

> Anyone have any pointers to documents on the early history of the LOOP
> macro? I'm interested in where it came from and what the original
> designers were trying to do.
>
> -Peter

You might be able to start your investigation by reading through the
source code for the LOOP in CMUCL (src/code/loop.lisp)--which, judging
from the copyrights and CVS information in the header, may also be
used in several other implementations:

[mega snip]

;;; The LOOP iteration macro is one of a number of pieces of code
;;; originally developed at MIT for which free distribution has been
;;; permitted, as long as the code is not sold for profit, and as long
;;; as notification of MIT's interest in the code is preserved.
;;;
;;; This version of LOOP, which is almost entirely rewritten both as
;;; clean-up and to conform with the ANSI Lisp LOOP standard, started
;;; life as MIT LOOP version 829 (which was a part of NIL, possibly
;;; never released).

[double mega snip]

Gabe Garza
From: Jeff Greif
From: John Paul Wallington

Maybe look at http://its.svensson.org/LSB1%3b
From: Christopher C. Stacy
From: Peter Seibel
······@dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> Why don't you just ask Alan Bawden?

I take it he's the inventor of LOOP?

From: Donald Fisk
Peter Seibel wrote:

> Anyone have any pointers to documents on the early history of the LOOP
> macro? I'm interested in where it came from and what the original
> designers were trying to do.

On my ITS, there's a file called .INFO.;LISP LOOP

It starts
.c      Thursday  July 10,1980  3:59  LQ+5D.3H.56M.26S.  -*- Text -*-

.chapter "Introduction"
        LOOP is a Lisp macro which provides a programmable iteration
facility.  The same LOOP module operates compatibly in both Lisp
Machine Lisp and Maclisp (PDP-10 and Multics).  LOOP was inspired by
the "FOR" facility of CLISP in InterLisp; however, it is not
compatible and differs in several details.

Let me know whether you want me to post it here, or mail it to you.

Le Hibou
--
In any large organization, mediocrity is almost by definition
an overwhelming phenomenon; the systematic disqualification
From: Peter Seibel
Donald Fisk <················@enterprise.net> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have any pointers to documents on the early history of the LOOP
> > macro? I'm interested in where it came from and what the original
> > designers were trying to do.
>
> On my ITS, there's a file called .INFO.;LISP LOOP
>
> It starts
> .c      Thursday  July 10,1980  3:59  LQ+5D.3H.56M.26S.  -*- Text -*-
>
> .chapter "Introduction"
>         LOOP is a Lisp macro which provides a programmable iteration
> facility.  The same LOOP module operates compatibly in both Lisp
> Machine Lisp and Maclisp (PDP-10 and Multics).  LOOP was inspired by
> the "FOR" facility of CLISP in InterLisp; however, it is not
> compatible and differs in several details.
>
> Let me know whether you want me to post it here, or mail it to you.

Either is fine by me. If it's huge, probably better to email it.
I guess if other folks are interested they can pipe up.

From: Fred Gilham
> Either is fine by me. If it's huge, probably better to email it.  I
> guess if other folks are interested they can pipe up.

It might be nice to get it into google.

--
Fred Gilham                                        ······@csl.sri.com
Time is nature's way of making sure everything doesn't happen at once.