From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Using Lisp at your job? Let us know - take two
A couple of weeks ago I posted to comp.lang.lisp a call for information
about professional uses of Lisp. I invited Lispers to add entries to the
following--publicly editable--pages at the ALU CLiki web site:

  Success Stories
  http://alu.cliki.net/Success%20Stories

  Commercial companies using Lisp
  http://alu.cliki.net/Industry%20Application

  Research organizations using Lisp
  http://alu.cliki.net/Research%20Organizations

This relevant page was added later:

  Evaluating Lisp as a language
  http://alu.cliki.net/Evaluate%20Lisp

My call for information generated only a couple of new entries. I would
like to explain with an example why I think collecting this information is
important.

I have run across this entry at Lemonodor, John Wiseman's weblog:

  http://lemonodor.com/archives/000398.html

It mentions a message posted by Jack Gray to the LispWorks mailing list.
Jack worked for American Express on the Authorizer Assistant, one of the
oldest and most successful commercial applications based on Lisp.

The Authorizer Assistant staff has been asked to do a top to bottom
reassessment of the system, which will probably generate pressure for
considering a rewrite in a different language (if this doesn't sound
familiar enough, consider what happened at Yahoo! Store). Therefore, Jack
is asking for testimonials by people using Lisp in business.

I have added a note to the weblog entry with links to the above mentioned
pages. I encourage all Lispers to provide the information they are aware
of, provided, of course, it is not confidential. Information about a one
man show is as important as that about a Fortune 500 company. It takes only
a few minutes, and it may be valuable to others who are considering
using--or replacing--Lisp. Let's help Jack, and Lisp.

Thanks in advance,

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>

From: Frank A. Adrian
Subject: Re: Using Lisp at your job? Let us know - take two
Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> The Authorizer Assistant staff has been asked to do a top to bottom
> reassessment of the system, which will probably generate pressure for
> considering a rewrite in a different language (if this doesn't sound
> familiar enough, consider what happened at Yahoo! Store). Therefore, Jack
> is asking for testimonials by people using Lisp in business.

Even more important might be the stories of those who have stayed in an
organization, gone through such a rewrite, and have had it not succeed or
succeed only after much pain, reduced functionality, and increased costs
(vidi Yahoo! Store).  If you want to stop a change backed by the majority,
you not only have to show the benefits from maintaining the status quo, but
also emphasize the risk of change.

faa
From: Bill Clementson
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> A couple of weeks ago I posted to comp.lang.lisp a call for information
> about professional uses of Lisp. I invited Lispers to add entries to the
> following--publicly editable--pages at the ALU CLiki web site:
[snip]
> This relevant page was added later:
>
>   Evaluating Lisp as a language
>   http://alu.cliki.net/Evaluate%20Lisp
>
> My call for information generated only a couple of new entries. I would
> like to explain with an example why I think collecting this information is
> important.
[snipped good reasons why people should add material]

Ok, I have just added 10 additional links to the "Evaluating Lisp as a
language" page on the ALU CLiki.

--
Bill Clementson
From: Bob Coyne
Here's a link about a startup (Simantix Systems) using Lisp in the "functional verification market,"
with "a system-level testbench  generation and simulation environment based on Lisp."

http://www.eedesign.com/story/OEG20030419S0001