From: synthespian
Subject: XIT GUI toolkit?
Hi --

  Never heard of this GUI toolkit before: XIT.
  It's not at Cliki[1]. Apparently, it was developed by people at the
University of Stuttgart.

  Here's the description:
"XIT
     The X User Interface Toolkit is an object-oriented user interface
development environment for the X Window system based on Common Lisp,
CLOS, CLX and CLUE. It is a framework for Common Lisp/CLOS applications
with GUIs for the X Window system, and contains user interface toolkits,
including general building blocks and mechanisms for building arbitrary
user interface elements and a set of predefined common elements
(widgets), as well as high-level interactive tools for constructing,
inspecting, and modifying user interfaces by means of direct
manipulation. The system is stable although still under active
development. A partly incomplete XIT manual in PostScript is available,
as is the source code. It is known to run on the freely available Common
Lisp implementation CLISP as well as on Allegro CL, a commercial
implementation."
from the URL
http://godot.physik.uni-osnabrueck.de/~otti/links/linuxliste/node53.html

The toolkit is at:
ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/xit/

Cheers

Henry

[1] http://www.cliki.net/Graphics%20Toolkit
  By the way, I have no idea how to edit this Cliki page. The source is:
CLiki pages about X11 graphics toolkits: /("Graphics Toolkit" :match
:exact :attribute :topic) While not strictly a 'Graphics Toolkit',
_(Eclipse) is an _(X11) window manager implemented in Common Lisp using
_(CLX).
  How would you add the XIT toolkit?

From: Daniel Barlow
Subject: Re: XIT GUI toolkit?
synthespian <···········@uol.com.br> writes:

>   By the way, I have no idea how to edit this Cliki page. The source is:
> CLiki pages about X11 graphics toolkits: /("Graphics Toolkit" :match
> :exact :attribute :topic) While not strictly a 'Graphics Toolkit',
> _(Eclipse) is an _(X11) window manager implemented in Common Lisp
> using _(CLX).
>   How would you add the XIT toolkit?

Create a new XIT page which includes the Graphics Toolkit topic marker:

  "XIT is a *(Graphics Toolkit) yadda yadda"

then, subject to browser caching and stuff, it will turn up in future
requests for the Graphics Toolkit page

I think we could use X11 or Graphics as topics, to be honest.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:51:39 -0300, synthespian <···········@uol.com.br>
wrote:

>   Never heard of this GUI toolkit before: XIT.

Peter Van Eynde is maintaining CLUE, CLIO and XIT as part of CLOCC.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Fred Gilham
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:51:39 -0300, synthespian <···········@uol.com.br>
> wrote:
>
> >   Never heard of this GUI toolkit before: XIT.
>
> Peter Van Eynde is maintaining CLUE, CLIO and XIT as part of CLOCC.

Hmn, I don't see it in the CLOCC repository (just CLUE, CLIO and
pictures).

I don't know how "freely available" XIT is.  But if someone wanted to
look at a patched version that seems to mostly work for me under
CMUCL, that person could snag the following:

  ftp://ftp.csl.sri.com/pub/users/gilham/xit-mod-fmg.tgz

From my point of view, XIT is a Garnet knock-off written in CLOS but
without constraints.  The major weakness of XIT is that it doesn't do
key translation, instead it just uses the ascii characters, so it's
hard to get controls and metas and so on.  Other than that, it's an
interesting environment that is more reminiscent of lisp machines than
Garnet.

What I'd like to see is someone revive Picasso, just for kicks.

--
Fred Gilham                                        ······@csl.sri.com
As much as I hate the product, the lawsuits are ridiculous. We have
From: Florian Weimer
Fred Gilham <······@snapdragon.csl.sri.com> writes:

> I don't know how "freely available" XIT is.

It's not free software.  Commercial use is not permitted.  If it's
interesting enough, I believe it could be freed, though.
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 21 Apr 2003 09:03:31 -0700, Fred Gilham <······@snapdragon.csl.sri.com>
wrote:

> Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:
[...]
> > Peter Van Eynde is maintaining CLUE, CLIO and XIT as part of CLOCC.
>
> Hmn, I don't see it in the CLOCC repository (just CLUE, CLIO and
> pictures).

Oooops... you are 111% right. I confused XIT with pictures.

> What I'd like to see is someone revive Picasso, just for kicks.

Is it Lisp software? Could you please provide some more information?

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>
From: Fred Gilham
> > What I'd like to see is someone revive Picasso, just for kicks.
>
> Is it Lisp software? Could you please provide some more information?

It's another Lisp GUI.  Here's a URL, a description and a bit from a
README file:

http://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:8000/picasso/

     This product is the Picasso Graphical User Interface Development
     System.  It uses X11R4 and the Common Lisp Object System (CLOS).
     It has been tested and runs on DECstation 3100's, Sun 3's,
     Sequent Symmetry, and Sparcstation/Sun 4.  The last three files
     contain the documentation in postscript & clear-text formats.

     THE FUTURE OF PICASSO

     Picasso has been declared a success and we are moving on.  One of
     our main interests in Picasso has been for internal development
     of GUI applications.  Unfortunately, our best efforts at
     optimization were insufficient.  Using the delivery toolkits
     provided by Lucid and Allegro and using a lot of other
     optimizations resulted in cutting startup time by 50%, execution
     time by 25%, and memory usage by 20%.  These improvements are
     impressive but not enough to make using Common Lisp competitive
     with other options.  An upcoming technical report (which we will
     make available for ftp) details our efforts and results.  We are
     now using Tcl/Tk (C based) for our distributed multimedia, video
     conferencing, and video-on-demand applications.  No new Picasso
     development is taking place and we are building replacements for
     the few Picasso applications that are used internally.

This is dated March 1993.

Seems like they gave up a bit too soon.... :-(

--
Fred Gilham                                        ······@csl.sri.com
America does not know the difference between sex and money. It treats