From: Hitesh Jasani
Subject: Newbie question
Hi,

I've been reading voraciously to learn Common Lisp, but I still don't seem
to have all the right resources yet.  I'm wondering how people are
integrating Lisp into web/application servers.  Do you have any resources
(books, links, etc.) you could point me to?

Thanks,
Hitesh

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: Newbie question
From: Edi Weitz
"Hitesh Jasani" <·······@everware.com> writes:

> I've been reading voraciously to learn Common Lisp, but I still
> don't seem to have all the right resources yet.  I'm wondering how
> people are integrating Lisp into web/application servers.  Do you
> have any resources (books, links, etc.) you could point me to?

Some examples:

  <http://www.cliki.net/Web>
  <http://lisp.t2100cdt.kippona.net/lispy/home>
  <http://opensource.franz.com/aserve/index.html>

Edi.
From: synthespian
Edi Weitz wrote:
> "Hitesh Jasani" <·······@everware.com> writes:
>

>>I've been reading voraciously to learn Common Lisp, but I still
>>don't seem to have all the right resources yet.  I'm wondering how
>>people are integrating Lisp into web/application servers.  Do you
>>have any resources (books, links, etc.) you could point me to?
>

> Some examples:
>
>   <http://www.cliki.net/Web>
>   <http://lisp.t2100cdt.kippona.net/lispy/home>
>   <http://opensource.franz.com/aserve/index.html>
>
> Edi.

In short:

  1 - You can use CGI
  2 - You can use a Lisp Web Server
  3 - You can use Apache

  How you go about doing this varies greatly. For example, CGI with
CLisp does not require multithreading, if you use FastCGI. The Allegro,
PortableAllegro and CL-HTTP require a Lisp with support to
multithreading (CMUCL, LW, ACL, Corman).

  Regs

  Henry
From: synthespian
Edi Weitz wrote:
> "Hitesh Jasani" <·······@everware.com> writes:
>

>>I've been reading voraciously to learn Common Lisp, but I still
>>don't seem to have all the right resources yet.  I'm wondering how
>>people are integrating Lisp into web/application servers.  Do you
>>have any resources (books, links, etc.) you could point me to?
>

> Some examples:
>
>   <http://www.cliki.net/Web>
>   <http://lisp.t2100cdt.kippona.net/lispy/home>
>   <http://opensource.franz.com/aserve/index.html>
>
> Edi.

In short:

  1 - You can use CGI
  2 - You can use a Lisp Web Server
  3 - You can use Apache

  How you go about doing this varies greatly. For example, CGI with
CLisp does not require multithreading, if you use FastCGI. The Allegro,
PortableAllegro and CL-HTTP require a Lisp with support to
multithreading (CMUCL, LW, ACL, Corman). CLisp, OTOH is most portable
across platforms, and has a small footprint.

  Regs

  Henry
From: Henrik Motakef
"Hitesh Jasani" <·······@everware.com> writes:

> I've been reading voraciously to learn Common Lisp, but I still don't seem
> to have all the right resources yet.  I'm wondering how people are
> integrating Lisp into web/application servers.  Do you have any resources
> (books, links, etc.) you could point me to?

Sure. A good point to start would be <http://www.cliki.net/Web>, where
you find pointers to various web-related stuff like complete web
servers, apache modules, lisp-embedded-in-html-stuff etc.

The cliki is itself an example of web programming with Common Lisp,
btw.

One approach to put it all together is described in
<http://lisp.t2100cdt.kippona.net/lispy/home>.

There is a mailing list dedicated to this topic at
<http://www.red-bean.com/lispweb/>. It is very low traffic currently,
but if you ask something, some people may wake up and answer ;-)

Regards
Henrik