From: Tran Tuan Anh
Subject: CL implementation and editor
Hi all:

I am learning Common Lisp now (I did learn Scheme before).
However, when I am using Scheme there is emacs, or DrScheme,
both are good env to work in...

Could anyone tell me which tools are the same for CL???
could I use emacs to program CL ?? (as the same way with Scheme)

Thanks a lot!

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: CL implementation and editor
·····@hotmail.com (Tran Tuan Anh) writes:

> Hi all:
>
> I am learning Common Lisp now (I did learn Scheme before).
> However, when I am using Scheme there is emacs, or DrScheme,
> both are good env to work in...
>
> Could anyone tell me which tools are the same for CL???
> could I use emacs to program CL ?? (as the same way with Scheme)

On Unix, if you're not afraid of setting up Emacs packages, you can
use Emacs, ILISP (an emacs package for interacting with a running
Lisp), and CMUCL.  If you're using Debian, you can just install the
packages.

Alternatively, there are evaluation versions of the major commercial
Lisps (Lispworks, Allegro, MCL), all of which come with IDEs that
include Emacs-like editors (like DrScheme).  CMUCL also comes with
Hemlock, an Emacs-like editor.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Jacek Generowicz

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp
From: Pierpaolo BERNARDI
"Tran Tuan Anh" <·····@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio ·································@posting.google.com...

> Could anyone tell me which tools are the same for CL???
> could I use emacs to program CL ?? (as the same way with Scheme)

Emacs support for CL is very similar to the support for scheme.
Just use run-lisp instead of run-scheme.

You may add:

(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (set (make-local-variable lisp-indent-function)
        'common-lisp-indent-function)))

to your .emacs to make the indentation CL friendly.

If you use several CL's or scheme you may define different
functions for them, like this:

(defun mzscheme ()
  (interactive)
  (run-scheme "/user/local/PLT/bin/mzscheme"))

(defun clisp ()
  (interactive)
  (run-lisp "/user/local/clisp/bin/clisp"))

(defun nyquist ()
  (interactive)
  (run-lisp "/user/local/nyquist/bin/nyquist"))

P.