From: Jerome Chan
Subject: Lisp on multiple platforms?
I'm thinking about writing a personl tcp project with a html interface
(mozilla) on Linux, Windows and OS X. Are there any lisps out there that
runs on all three platforms? I'm having trouble compiling clisp 2.30 on
os x. So that leaves just Allegro Common Lisp from Franz to the best of
my knowledge. Any suggestions?

From: Friedrich Dominicus
Subject: Re: Lisp on multiple platforms?
Jerome Chan <········@rocketmail.com> writes:

> I'm thinking about writing a personl tcp project with a html interface
> (mozilla) on Linux, Windows and OS X. Are there any lisps out there that
> runs on all three platforms? I'm having trouble compiling clisp 2.30 on
> os x. So that leaves just Allegro Common Lisp from Franz to the best of
> my knowledge. Any suggestions?
I just can tell that LispWorks runs at the moment on Linux and Windows
and that they started a Beta program for OS X. I'm sure you could
download CLISP as  prepared package for Mac OX, or spend some time one
gettting it run.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Jerome Chan <········@rocketmail.com> writes:

> I'm thinking about writing a personl tcp project with a html interface
> (mozilla) on Linux, Windows and OS X. Are there any lisps out there that
> runs on all three platforms? I'm having trouble compiling clisp 2.30 on
> os x. So that leaves just Allegro Common Lisp from Franz to the best of
> my knowledge. Any suggestions?

CLISP, Allegro, and LispWorks (OS X is comming soon), run on all
three.  But, you're probably wrongly assuming that you need to use the
same implementation on all three platforms.  If it's a worthwhile
project, the code that directly manipulates sockets will probably be a
very small amount of code -- that will be implementation-specific.
All the rest should be 100% portable.  If I were you, I'd pick one
platform you're the most comfortable on, find an implementation whose
development environment you like, develop there (isolating and
minimizing your use of implementation-specific features), and then
port to the other two.  You'll probably be happiest that way.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Jaap Weel
> Jerome Chan <········@rocketmail.com> writes:
> > I'm thinking about writing a personl tcp project with a html interface
> > (mozilla) on Linux, Windows and OS X. Are there any lisps out there that
> > runs on all three platforms?

On Mac OS X, standard Linux/Unix code tends to need some modifications
because of subtle differences in the cc, cpp, make &c utilities.
Fortunately, there is project named FINK that puts out ported source and
binary (debian) distributions, along with a set of very easy-to-use tools
that download and install their packages.

I run Mac OS X, and I got the clisp from fink. It works perfectly fine; I
use it to run GNU Maxima among others.

   /jaap