From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
Subject: Announcing new programming language OOUL
After spending many years study programming languages, I am
now happy to announce the Ultimate Programming Language.
This programming language which I call OOUL is an object-oriented
version of the UnLambda programming language
(http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/programs/unlambda/).

I will soon post an implementation to sourceforge, keep an eye out to
avoid getting swamped by all the excited programmers tring to download
it.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

From: Laurence Kramer
Subject: Re: Announcing new programming language OOUL
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
> After spending many years study programming languages, I am
> now happy to announce the Ultimate Programming Language.
> This programming language which I call OOUL is an object-oriented
> version of the UnLambda programming language
> (http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/programs/unlambda/).
>
> I will soon post an implementation to sourceforge, keep an eye out to
> avoid getting swamped by all the excited programmers tring to download
> it.
> Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
> Think twice, code once.

This isn't an April fool's joke, is it?

Larry
From: Erann Gat
In article <················@cs.cmu.edu>, Laurence Kramer
<·······@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
> > After spending many years study programming languages, I am
> > now happy to announce the Ultimate Programming Language.
> > This programming language which I call OOUL is an object-oriented
> > version of the UnLambda programming language
> > (http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/programs/unlambda/).
> >
> > I will soon post an implementation to sourceforge, keep an eye out to
> > avoid getting swamped by all the excited programmers tring to download
> > it.
> > Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
> > Think twice, code once.
>
> This isn't an April fool's joke, is it?

Shhhh!!!

E.

--
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily
reflect the views of JPL or NASA.
From: Jens Axel S�gaard
Erann Gat wrote:

> Shhhh!!!

Is that a quine or a factorial function?

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: Steven M. Haflich
Erann Gat wrote:
> In article <················@cs.cmu.edu>, Laurence Kramer

>>This isn't an April fool's joke, is it?
>>
> Shhhh!!!

Damn!  I was nearly done with an open source compiler for the thing,
and now I'll just have to throw all that work away.
From: Bill Godfrey
Thaddeus L Olczyk <······@interaccess.com> wrote:
<snip>

http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/31/1048962694949.html

These sort of languages always come out this time of year. No idea why.

Bill, setting the E bit on all his IP datagrams.
From: Nils Goesche
Thaddeus L Olczyk <······@interaccess.com> writes:

> After spending many years study programming languages, I am now
> happy to announce the Ultimate Programming Language.  This
> programming language which I call OOUL is an object-oriented version
> of the UnLambda programming language
> (http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/programs/unlambda/).
>
> I will soon post an implementation to sourceforge, keep an eye out
> to avoid getting swamped by all the excited programmers tring to
> download it.

That's great; exactly what I've been waiting for all the time.  You
must be a real philanthropist :-)

Regards,
--
Nils G�sche

PGP key ID 0x0655CFA0
From: Adam Warner
Hi Thaddeus L Olczyk,

> After spending many years study programming languages, I am
> now happy to announce the Ultimate Programming Language.
> This programming language which I call OOUL is an object-oriented
> version of the UnLambda programming language
> (http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/programs/unlambda/).

Nice. At least it doesn't have so many of those bloody parentheses.

Adam
From: Thomas G. Marshall
LOL!  This trumps even Perl!

"
Well, let's discuss an example: the following Unlambda program calculates
and prints the Fibonacci numbers (as lines of asterisks)
```s``s``sii`ki
  `k.*``s``s`ks
 ``s`k`s`ks``s``s`ks``s`k`s`kr``s`k`sikk
  `k``s`ksk
"

·······································@4ax.com...

From: CBFalconer
"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

... snip ...

> Well, let's discuss an example: the following Unlambda program
> calculates and prints the Fibonacci numbers (as lines of asterisks)
> ```s``s``sii`ki
>   `k.*``s``s`ks
>  ``s`k`s`ks``s``s`ks``s`k`s`kr``s`k`sikk
>   `k``s`ksk

Are you trying to compete with APL?  Obscurity has been done by
masters in the trade :-)

--
Chuck F (··········@yahoo.com) (··········@worldnet.att.net)
   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!
From: Michael Feathers
"CBFalconer" <··········@yahoo.com> wrote in message
······················@yahoo.com...
> "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
> >
> ... snip ...
> >
> > Well, let's discuss an example: the following Unlambda program
> > calculates and prints the Fibonacci numbers (as lines of asterisks)
> > ```s``s``sii`ki
> >   `k.*``s``s`ks
> >  ``s`k`s`ks``s``s`ks``s`k`s`kr``s`k`sikk
> >   `k``s`ksk
>
> Are you trying to compete with APL?  Obscurity has been done by
> masters in the trade :-)

Unlambda really is special.  It is my favorite language outside the Befunge
family.

Michael Feathers
www.objectmentor.com
From: Douglas Crockford
> > Well, let's discuss an example: the following Unlambda program
> > calculates and prints the Fibonacci numbers (as lines of asterisks)
> > ```s``s``sii`ki
> >   `k.*``s``s`ks
> >  ``s`k`s`ks``s``s`ks``s`k`s`kr``s`k`sikk
> >   `k``s`ksk
>
> Are you trying to compete with APL?  Obscurity has been done by
> masters in the trade :-)

The only language that I can think of that is uglier than this is Tilton.
http://www.crockford.com/tilton/tilton.html
Koda bosanda bosoya!
From: Kenny Tilton
Douglas Crockford wrote:
>>>Well, let's discuss an example: the following Unlambda program
>>>calculates and prints the Fibonacci numbers (as lines of asterisks)
>>>```s``s``sii`ki
>>>  `k.*``s``s`ks
>>> ``s`k`s`ks``s``s`ks``s`k`s`kr``s`k`sikk
>>>  `k``s`ksk
>>
>>Are you trying to compete with APL?  Obscurity has been done by
>>masters in the trade :-)
>

> The only language that I can think of that is uglier than this is Tilton.
> http://www.crockford.com/tilton/tilton.html

Well I'll be damned. But I see the name is meant as mockery
of a man of the cloth, Brother Bob Tilton. He desrves better, given
his service to the Lord:

    <http://strange.timetrip.net/?entry=tilton>

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
From: David Rush

> >>Are you trying to compete with APL?  Obscurity has been done by
> >>masters in the trade :-)
> > The only language that I can think of that is uglier than this is
> > Tilton.

Except that it looks like Tilton is actually meant to be used 8-D

Absolutely amazing...

david rush
--
Scheme: Because closures are cool.
	-- Anton van Straaten (the Scheme Marketing Dept from c.l.s)
From: Universe
Douglas Crockford wrote:

>> > Well, let's discuss an example: the following Unlambda program
>> > calculates and prints the Fibonacci numbers (as lines of asterisks)
>> > ```s``s``sii`ki
>> >   `k.*``s``s`ks
>> >  ``s`k`s`ks``s``s`ks``s`k`s`kr``s`k`sikk
>> >   `k``s`ksk
>>
>> Are you trying to compete with APL?  Obscurity has been done by
>> masters in the trade :-)

> The only language that I can think of that is uglier than this is Tilton.
> http://www.crockford.com/tilton/tilton.html
> Koda bosanda bosoya!

Actually there seems to me to be a simplicity once you grasp what the
notation means.  Also notice that whatever ' represents, it is repeated
quite a bit.

The ironic thing about Unlambda is that the unabstraction operator is
itself an a conception and abstraction.  It represents an operation that
is applicable *generally* on a class of targets.

As its creator I think says, the language is really meant for excursions
in its area of origin and not for computing generally.  However Olczyk
does think that it is Turing complete and is working on the proof.

In extending traditional CompSci topics it has value and is entertaining
as an intellectual repast.

Elliott
--
"Object-oriented [OO] programming. A program execution is regarded as
a physical model, simulating the behavior of either a real or
From: Nils Goesche
Universe <········@radixundo.net> writes:

> The ironic thing about Unlambda is that the unabstraction
> operator is itself an a conception and abstraction.  It
> represents an operation that is applicable *generally* on a
> class of targets.
>
> As its creator I think says, the language is really meant for
> excursions in its area of origin and not for computing
> generally.  However Olczyk

Note that Unlambda is quite old -- even older than Mr. Olczyk's
degree.  David Madore invented it.

> does think that it is Turing complete and is working on the
> proof.

Now that wouldn't surprise me.

Regards,
--
Nils G�sche
Ask not for whom the <CONTROL-G> tolls.

PGP key ID #xD26EF2A0
From: Thomas G. Marshall
"Nils Goesche" <···@cartan.de> wrote in message
···················@darkstar.cartan...
> Universe <········@radixundo.net> writes:

[snip
> Ask not for whom the <CONTROL-G> tolls.

VERY good sig. message :)
From: Nils Goesche
"Thomas G. Marshall" <···········@hotgackmail.comremovegacks> writes:

> "Nils Goesche" <···@cartan.de> wrote in message
> ···················@darkstar.cartan...

> > Ask not for whom the <CONTROL-G> tolls.

> VERY good sig. message :)

I do not regret the decision to steal the line :-)

Regards,