From: Tim Josling
Subject: Re: LISP - The Entry Point
ilias wrote:

> but before i loose 'virginity', i'll try to build a lisp without looking
> at another code.

Have a look at "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham. This has an implementation
of many of the Lisp functions in Lisp.

Also "Artifical Intelligence Programming: case studies in common lisp" chapter
23 has a simple lisp compiler.

I personally found Lisp a bit overwhelming at first. So I initially Learned
scheme, which is a lot smaller, but has most of the same concepts.

Tim Josling

From: ozan s yigit
Tim Josling to someone:

> Have a look at "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham. This has an implementation
> of many of the Lisp functions in Lisp.

but that would not provide the real and deep pleasure of deriving the
entire language and its various inventions and offsprings from its
first principles, would it?

oz
--
there is a fault in reality. do not adjust your minds. -- salman rushdie
From: Tim Josling
ozan s yigit wrote:

> Tim Josling to someone:
>
> > Have a look at "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham. This has an implementation
> > of many of the Lisp functions in Lisp.
>
> but that would not provide the real and deep pleasure of deriving the
> entire language and its various inventions and offsprings from its
> first principles, would it?
>
> oz
> --
> there is a fault in reality. do not adjust your minds. -- salman rushdie

True. I suppose it depends on how short you think life is.

Tim Josling
From: ilias
Tim Josling wrote:
> ozan s yigit wrote:
>
>>Tim Josling to someone:
>>

>>>Have a look at "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham. This has an implementation
>>>of many of the Lisp functions in Lisp.
>>
>>but that would not provide the real and deep pleasure of deriving the
>>entire language and its various inventions and offsprings from its
>>first principles, would it?
>>
>>oz
>>--
>>there is a fault in reality. do not adjust your minds. -- salman rushdie

this is funny!

me: Mr. Salman Rushdie, can I?

SR: yes my son.

me: thank you!

"there is a fault in the specs. do not adjust you minds."

hehe!

> True. I suppose it depends on how short you think life is.
>
> Tim Josling

-

life is to short.

the middle way:

realize the problem.

trying to solve ( a few hours or days )

look at the solutions.

feel the respect for the solutions.

assimilate the best.

-

The decision: which is the best?

With the entry-point 1958, 100.000 people will have 100.000 different
results in 2002 (or better: 2003).

But there is only one.

-

The Spirit of Lisp.