From: gnuist006
Subject: Wanted opinions regarding the many lisp blocking constructs
There are many lisp blocking constructs. And recommendations on their
proper use and some rationale or examples from gurus or more experienced
users?

let
let*
prog1
prog2
progn
cond
lambda
defun

From: Will Deakin
gnuist006 wrote:
> There are many lisp blocking constructs. And recommendations on their
> proper use and some rationale or examples from gurus or more experienced
> users?
>
> let
> let*
> prog1
> prog2
> progn
> cond
> lambda
> defun
Uhhh, this really depends on what you want to do! For example: do you
want to bind variable and run some code with the binding in scope? worry
about the order of this binding? define a program block? want to set up
a path of execution based on the value of a variable? or define a
un-named or named function?

For me, programming is a very concrete subject and asking rather woolly
abstract questions about what does function x all means is not the way
to programming enlightenment.  It would also be a lot more productive to
write some code and post this for critique and/or as some pointed
questions having lend/beg/borrow/steal/buy a good book or three[1] and
done some basic on common lisp using google.

Sorry to be so cumugeonly but it is all the rage on c.l.l. these days[2].

:(w

[1] I have a couple a top ones in mind.
[2] Also city lost 3-0 at home whilst juve have just stolen a draw from
a seeming solid losing postion thanks to their team mascot l'arbitro.
From: Fred Gilham
> There are many lisp blocking constructs. And recommendations on
> their proper use and some rationale or examples from gurus or more
> experienced users?

Read LAMBDA: THE ULTIMATE IMPERATIVE.  This will give you some insight
into the semantics of the various `blocking constructs' and perhaps
allow you to answer your own question.

This paper is on line at

 ftp://publications.ai.mit.edu/ai-publications/0-499/AIM-353.ps

--
Fred Gilham                                       gilham @ csl . sri . com
King Christ, this world is all aleak, / And life preservers there are none,
From: ilias
Fred Gilham wrote:
>>There are many lisp blocking constructs. And recommendations on
>>their proper use and some rationale or examples from gurus or more
>>experienced users?
>

> Read LAMBDA: THE ULTIMATE IMPERATIVE.  This will give you some insight
> into the semantics of the various `blocking constructs' and perhaps
> allow you to answer your own question.
>
> This paper is on line at
>
>  ftp://publications.ai.mit.edu/ai-publications/0-499/AIM-353.ps

or if you prefere pdf:

ftp://publications.ai.mit.edu/ai-publications/pdf/AIM-353.pdf

i'm sorry that i can't give you an summary. i've not assimilate
'lambda', whaterver this is.
From: Software Scavenger
ilias <·······@pontos.net> wrote in message news:<············@usenet.otenet.gr>...

> i'm sorry that i can't give you an summary. i've not assimilate
> 'lambda', whaterver this is.

I'm curious to know if you can translate that word to Greek.  I assume
that you, being Greek, know Greek, and can translate English to it.
From: ilias
Software Scavenger wrote:
> ilias <·······@pontos.net> wrote in message news:<············@usenet.otenet.gr>...
>

>>i'm sorry that i can't give you an summary. i've not assimilate
>>'lambda', whaterver this is.
>

> I'm curious to know if you can translate that word to Greek.  I assume
> that you, being Greek, know Greek, and can translate English to it.

i've just translated "Scavenger" and it is really funny!

lambda in context of programming, i don't know.

lambda:

/\
   \
    \
   / \      =     Small lambda, letter of greek alphabet
  /   \
/     \

     /\
    /  \
   /    \   =     Big lambda.
  /      \

but i don't know the derivation of the meaning of this letter (from
ancient greece).