From: ilias
Subject: LISP - R5RS - John McCarthy
i read about scheme.

a 'central document'

http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/r5rs.pdf

what i've noticed:

the name "McCarthy".

i've found this name at one place in the document.

Page 40 -
7.2. Formal semantics
[...]
t -> a, b McCarthy conditional "if t then a else b"
[...]

i know this name.

since a few weeks i know this name.

i think the authors meant: John McCarthy.

inventor/designer of LISP.

http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/history/

scheme -> Lisp dialect.

John McCarthy -> inventor/designer of LISP.

Can someone explain me, why

John McCarthy

is in *not* referred in the whole document?

as the inventor/designer of LISP?

e.g.:
page 46
REFERENCES
nothing.

page 2:
Background
Acknowledgements
nothing.

please explain me.

From: Feuer
Subject: Re: LISP - R5RS - John McCarthy
ilias wrote:

> John McCarthy -> inventor/designer of LISP.
>
> Can someone explain me, why
>
> John McCarthy
>
> is in *not* referred in the whole document?
>
> as the inventor/designer of LISP?
>
> e.g.:
> page 46
> REFERENCES
> nothing.
>
> page 2:
> Background
> Acknowledgements
> nothing.
>
> please explain me.

I suspect that John Grossman's book will answer your question.

David
From: ilias
Feuer wrote:
> ilias wrote:
>

>>John McCarthy -> inventor/designer of LISP.
>>
>>Can someone explain me, why
>>
>>John McCarthy
>>
>>is in *not* referred in the whole document?
>>
>>as the inventor/designer of LISP?
>>
>>e.g.:
>>page 46
>>REFERENCES
>>nothing.
>>
>>page 2:
>>Background
>>Acknowledgements
>>nothing.
>>
>>please explain me.
>

> I suspect that John Grossman's book will answer your question.
>
> David

we are in usenet.

many people follow discussions.

it is more friendly, if the information is provided directly.

have you the information?

why don't you share it with me?

why don't you share it with the other people which are reading?
From: Feuer
ilias wrote:

> > I suspect that John Grossman's book will answer your question.
> >
> > David
>
> we are in usenet.
>
> many people follow discussions.
>
> it is more friendly, if the information is provided directly.
>
> have you the information?
>
> why don't you share it with me?
>
> why don't you share it with the other people which are reading?

There is no one-line answer.  Grossman has an entire chapter on
issues relating to this question.  I can't post the whole thing here.
If you're not willing to go to a library, I don't think I can help
you.

David
From: ilias
Feuer wrote:

> ilias wrote:
>

>>>I suspect that John Grossman's book will answer your question.
>>>
>>>David
>>
>>we are in usenet.
>>
>>many people follow discussions.
>>
>>it is more friendly, if the information is provided directly.
>>
>>have you the information?
>>
>>why don't you share it with me?
>>
>>why don't you share it with the other people which are reading?
>
> There is no one-line answer.  Grossman has an entire chapter on
> issues relating to this question.  I can't post the whole thing here.
> If you're not willing to go to a library, I don't think I can help
> you.
>
> David

i cannot go to a library.

you say: explaining this needs a whole chapter of a book?

you are not able to tell me a summary?

btw: www.amazon.com does not show many things about John Grossman.
From: Erann Gat
In article <············@usenet.otenet.gr>, ilias <·······@pontos.net> wrote:

> i cannot go to a library.

Why not?

E.
From: Christopher Browne
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, ···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) wrote:
> In article <············@usenet.otenet.gr>, ilias <·······@pontos.net> wrote:
>
>> i cannot go to a library.
>
> Why not?

Apparently there are women at libraries, and this would distract him
beyond reason.

(I am having visions of Jim Belushi making excuses in _Blues Brothers_
as to why his ex-girlfriend shouldn't kill him...)
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@ntlug.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html
From: ilias
Erann Gat wrote:
> In article <············@usenet.otenet.gr>, ilias <·······@pontos.net> wrote:
>

>>i cannot go to a library.
>

> Why not?
>
> E.

primary:
- medium violation (must stay in usenet, internet thus my results can be
used be anyone who has a connection)

additionally:
- i don't know where a library is.
- going to the library interupts thinking-flow.

finally:
- no cash.
From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
ilias <·······@pontos.net> writes:

> primary:
> - medium violation (must stay in usenet, internet thus my results can
> be used be anyone who has a connection)

You can't go to a library, because your results must be posted?  Why
not go to the library and look it up, and then post the results,
instead of demanding that someone else do it for you?

> additionally:
> - i don't know where a library is.

It's where they have books you can read and borrow.

> - going to the library interupts thinking-flow.

That's got to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

> finally:
> - no cash.

Libraries are almost always free.

Thomas
From: Thant Tessman
HEY, IT'S A TROLL!!! It doesn't care about looking stupid. And even
knowing it's a troll, it's not a very entertaining one.

-thant
From: ilias
Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> ilias <·······@pontos.net> writes:
>

>>primary:
>>- medium violation (must stay in usenet, internet thus my results can
>>be used be anyone who has a connection)
>
> You can't go to a library, because your results must be posted?  Why
> not go to the library and look it up, and then post the results,

cause this cannot be verified from other people without going to a library.

> instead of demanding that someone else do it for you?

i don't demand.

i've asked for a summary, which every polite human would give
immediately and without asking him.

>>additionally:
>>- i don't know where a library is.
>
> It's where they have books you can read and borrow.

yes, i know this.

i don't know where it is.

>>- going to the library interupts thinking-flow.
>
> That's got to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

ok.

i must admit, that this is an hypothetical thought.

i mean, where they sell book, there are always nice ladies.

so i thought that were the lent books, there are nice ladies too.

and when i see nice ladies, i cannot assimilate lisp anymore.

>>finally:
>>- no cash.
>
> Libraries are almost always free.

almost.

and the taxis are not.

> Thomas

do you know an answer to my question?

Why's John McCarthy not mentioned (as the inventor/designer of LISP) in
the R5RS document?
From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
ilias <·······@pontos.net> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > ilias <·······@pontos.net> writes:
> >
> >>primary:
> >>- medium violation (must stay in usenet, internet thus my results can
> >>be used be anyone who has a connection)
> > You can't go to a library, because your results must be posted?  Why
> > not go to the library and look it up, and then post the results,
>
> cause this cannot be verified from other people without going to a library.

If he wrote it out and posted it, how would you verify that?

> i don't know where it is.

I think the first step of an educated person upon moving to a new
community is to find out where the library is.

The first step of an uneducated person is finding out where to get an
education.  The nice people at the college will tell you where the
library is.

> and when i see nice ladies, i cannot assimilate lisp anymore.

I see the problem now, you're thinking with the wrong head.

> Why's John McCarthy not mentioned (as the inventor/designer of LISP)
> in the R5RS document?

Among other things because

1) It's already exceedingly well known, and
2) He's not the sole inventor.
From: ilias
Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> ilias <·······@pontos.net> writes:
>
>>Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

>>>You can't go to a library, because your results must be posted?  Why
>>>not go to the library and look it up, and then post the results,
>>
>>cause this cannot be verified from other people without going to a library.
>
> If he wrote it out and posted it, how would you verify that?

without a library.

verification and as far as possible.

with thinking.

the summary i've asked for.

>>i don't know where it is.
>
> I think the first step of an educated person upon moving to a new
> community is to find out where the library is.
> The first step of an uneducated person is finding out where to get an
> education.
> The nice people at the college will tell you where the
> library is.

feel free to think whatever you want to think.

feel free to ignore my primary rule:

your solution.

as i feel free to ignore your comments.

>>and when i see nice ladies, i cannot assimilate lisp anymore.
>
> I see the problem now, you're thinking with the wrong head.

wrong?

no way.

just another.

every head should think.

without annoying the other head.

of course this is very subjective.

>>Why's John McCarthy not mentioned (as the inventor/designer of LISP)
>>in the R5RS document?

so, we are in topic!

> Among other things because
>
> 1) It's already exceedingly well known, and

aha.

so this is a reason, to not state an inventor/designer ?

If you document a theory, which is based on Albert Einsteins Theory, you
will not state Albert Einstein, cause it is exceedingly well known.

i see.

> 2) He's not the sole inventor.

aha.

invented/designed by John McCarthy.

The fundamental parts of Lisp.

but not the sole invention.

i see.
From: Thomas Bushnell, BSG
ilias <·······@pontos.net> writes:

> If you document a theory, which is based on Albert Einsteins Theory,
> you will not state Albert Einstein, cause it is exceedingly well known.

Exactly.  I took a six-month course to understand the structure of the
General Theory of Relativity.  I think not once did the instructor say
it was Einstein's.
From: ilias
Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> ilias <·······@pontos.net> writes:
>

>>If you document a theory, which is based on Albert Einsteins Theory,
>>you will not state Albert Einstein, cause it is exceedingly well known.
>

> Exactly.  I took a six-month course to understand the structure of the
> General Theory of Relativity.  I think not once did the instructor say
> it was Einstein's.

ooooouuh!

that hurts.

"from Albert Einstein"

not "Einsteins's"

have respect.

-

anyway.

are you a schemer?

there was another one who likes hairsplitting.

i've now a preconceived opinion in subconscious, which i must control
with conscious.

i've not find a method to crack them out of subconscious.

-

ok.

as you've understood the structure of the General Theory of Relativity.

You create a new theory.

Which is based on this theory.

you will not state the name: Albert Einstein?

in the *first* page of your document.

and in the *last* page of your document.

-

don't say it.

let me guess.

no, you don't.

it is commonly known.

-
From: Frank A. Adrian
ilias wrote:

> Why's John McCarthy not mentioned (as the inventor/designer of LISP) in
> the R5RS document?

Because Scheme is not a Lisp.  Ask anyone on comp.lang.scheme :-).

faa
From: Erann Gat
In article <············@usenet.otenet.gr>, ilias <·······@pontos.net> wrote:

> - i don't know where a library is.

Hm.  Where do you live?  Perhaps I can help you locate one.

> - going to the library interupts thinking-flow.

How do you know if you've never gone to one?  You may find that going to a
library actually enahnces your thinking-flow.

> finally:
> - no cash.

Most public libraries do not require any.

E.
From: ilias
Erann Gat wrote:
> In article <············@usenet.otenet.gr>, ilias <·······@pontos.net> wrote:
>

>>- i don't know where a library is.
>

> Hm.  Where do you live?  Perhaps I can help you locate one.

primary:
- medium violation (must stay in usenet, internet thus my results can be
used be anyone who has a connection)

>>- going to the library interupts thinking-flow.
>
> How do you know if you've never gone to one?  You may find that going to a
> library actually enahnces your thinking-flow.

the magic construct of generalization:

see this answer to another poster:
>> ok.
>>
>> i must admit, that this is an hypothetical thought.
>>
>> i mean, where they sell book, there are always nice ladies.
>>
>> so i thought that were the lent books, there are nice ladies too.
>>
>> and when i see nice ladies, i cannot assimilate lisp anymore.

-

>>finally:
>>- no cash.
>
> Most public libraries do not require any.

again, from another answer:

>> almost.
>>
>> and the taxis are not.
(free)

-

now, to get in-topic.

From: Erann Gat
In article <············@usenet.otenet.gr>, ilias <·······@pontos.net> wrote:

> >>finally:
> >>- no cash.
> >
> > Most public libraries do not require any.
>
> again, from another answer:
>
> >> almost.
> >>
> >> and the taxis are not.
> (free)

My goodness!  You must really be in dire straights.  Tell you what: if you
send me your address I will arrange to have a copy of the book in question
shipped to you at no cost.

Erann Gat
···@flownet.com
From: ilias
Erann Gat wrote:

>>>Most public libraries do not require any.
>>
>>again, from another answer:

>>(free)
>

> My goodness!  You must really be in dire straights.  Tell you what: if you
> send me your address I will arrange to have a copy of the book in question
> shipped to you at no cost.

sounds good.

> Erann Gat
> ···@flownet.com

i asked:
 >> now, to get in-topic.
 >>
 >> do you know an answer to my question?
 >>
 >> Why's John McCarthy not mentioned (as the inventor/designer of LISP)
in the R5RS document?

you (indirect) answer is to send me a book?

i don't know the author, so i don't know if i can assimilate knowledge
out of his book, so your effort will be maybe useless.

-

could you please identify this 'top secret' book?

Author:   John Grossmann
Title.:   ?
ISBN No.: ?

-

you could instead provide me the pdf-version of the *original* ANSI
Common-Lisp-Specification which i had no credit-card to obtain online @
ANSI for 18$. i mean, even if i had a credit-card...

ANSI INCITS 226-1994 (R1999)

http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=ANSI+INCITS+226%2D1994+%28R1999%29
From: Erann Gat
In article <············@usenet.otenet.gr>, ilias <·······@pontos.net> wrote:

> i asked:
>  >> now, to get in-topic.
>  >>
>  >> do you know an answer to my question?
>  >>
>  >> Why's John McCarthy not mentioned (as the inventor/designer of LISP)
> in the R5RS document?
>
> you (indirect) answer is to send me a book?

That's right.

> i don't know the author, so i don't know if i can assimilate knowledge
> out of his book, so your effort will be maybe useless.

A risk I'm willing to take.

> could you please identify this 'top secret' book?
>
> Author:   John Grossmann
> Title.:   ?
> ISBN No.: ?

Heh, I was going to say that if you can't figure this out on your own then
you have bigger problems than a lack of cash.  But I can't find this book
either.  A search on both Amazon and Google turned up nothing.  So, I
guess we have to toss the ball back into David Feuer's court: David, which
book were you referring to?

> you could instead provide me the pdf-version of the *original* ANSI
> Common-Lisp-Specification which i had no credit-card to obtain online @
> ANSI for 18$. i mean, even if i had a credit-card...

I could, but that would not answer the question you posed.

E.
From: quasi
On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:08:10 -0700, ···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat)
wrote:
>> i cannot go to a library.
>
>Why not?

maybe the whole thing is an exercise at cyber warfare?  Using Lisp for
the bot would be ironical...

:-)

(apologies ilias, not personal)
--

Think.
From: ilias
quasi wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:08:10 -0700, ···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat)
> wrote:
>
>>>i cannot go to a library.
>>
>>Why not?
>

> maybe the whole thing is an exercise at cyber warfare?  Using Lisp for
> the bot would be ironical...
>
> :-)
>
> (apologies ilias, not personal)

no problem.

i had my "exercise at cyber warfare" already.

long befor c.l.l.

otherwise i had not survived that until now.

at least not without loosing control.
From: Peter Lewerin
>>i cannot go to a library.
>
> Why not?

Yes, why not?  Maybe it was like this:

Librarian: How may I help you?

Ilias: I need a book

L: Well, we have many books here.

I: need only one book

I: rejected

L: ...What kind of a book do you want?  Fiction?  Gardening?

I: yes

I: no

I: not enough sleep

L: ... ... Maybe you should just browse the shelves a bit?

I: savage

(later)

I: books not good

I: errors everywhere

I: made corrections

L: What?!?

I: example: this mushroom book, says these mushrooms poisonous

I: no evidence of poison

I: when I lick pictures, no stomach problems

L: What have you done to the book?

I: tore out pages containing errors

I: wrote new mushroom descriptions, much better ones

I: must eat

L: Get the &((/&#( out of here!

But it couldn't have been that bad, could it?
From: Stefan Schmiedl
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:25:11 +0200,
Peter Lewerin <·············@swipnet.se> wrote:
>>>i cannot go to a library.
>>
>> Why not?
>
> Yes, why not?  Maybe it was like this:

ROTFLMAO
... now where are my screen tissues?

s.
From: ilias
Peter Lewerin wrote:
>>> i cannot go to a library.
>>

>> Why not?
>

> Yes, why not?  Maybe it was like this:
>
> Librarian: How may I help you?
>
> Ilias: I need a book
>
> L: Well, we have many books here.
>
> I: need only one book
>
> I: rejected
>
> L: ...What kind of a book do you want?  Fiction?  Gardening?
>
> I: yes
>
> I: no
>
> I: not enough sleep
>
> L: ... ... Maybe you should just browse the shelves a bit?
>
> I: savage
>
> (later)
>
> I: books not good
>
> I: errors everywhere
>
> I: made corrections
>
> L: What?!?
>
> I: example: this mushroom book, says these mushrooms poisonous
>
> I: no evidence of poison
>
> I: when I lick pictures, no stomach problems
>
> L: What have you done to the book?
>
> I: tore out pages containing errors
>
> I: wrote new mushroom descriptions, much better ones
>
> I: must eat
>
> L: Get the &((/&#( out of here!
>
> But it couldn't have been that bad, could it?

this was very funny.

i like this!

still laughing.
From: quasi
<·············@swipnet.se> wrote:

>>>i cannot go to a library.
>>
>> Why not?
>
>Yes, why not?  Maybe it was like this:

ROTFL !!
hahaha

great one squire !!!
--

Think.
From: ilias
Feuer wrote:

> ilias wrote:
>
>>>I suspect that John Grossman's book will answer your question.
>>>
>>>David
>>
>>we are in usenet.
>>
>>many people follow discussions.
>>
>>it is more friendly, if the information is provided directly.
>>
>>have you the information?
>>
>>why don't you share it with me?
>>
>>why don't you share it with the other people which are reading?
>
> There is no one-line answer.  Grossman has an entire chapter on
> issues relating to this question.  I can't post the whole thing here.
> If you're not willing to go to a library, I don't think I can help
> you.
>
> David

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=John+Grossman

www.amazon.com => find nothing about John Grossmann Scheme

well, is this your second public missinformation you gave in this newsgroup?

or is there an explanation?
From: ilias

you anwered me in another topic ( ·················@his.com ):
>> I really and truly do think that the answer to your question about
>> McCarthy and the R5RS standard can be found in Grossman's book.  I
>> suggest you go to the library and check it out.

could you please specify this book?

Author:   John Grossmann
Title.:   ?
ISBN No.: ?
From: ilias
ilias wrote:
> i read about scheme.
>
> a 'central document'
>
> http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/r5rs.pdf

from page one of the document.

"
The report gives a dening description of the program-
ming language Scheme. Scheme is a statically scoped and
properly tail-recursive dialect of the Lisp programming
language invented by Guy Lewis Steele Jr. and Gerald
Jay Sussman.
"

my english is not the best.

but is the above paragraph not a little missleading?

e.g. for a newcomer which learns scheme and does not know about lisp
history?

the word "invented" connects to the word "Scheme".

but isn't it possible to understand it wrong?

to connect "invented"  to the immediately following "Lisp programming
language"?

especially as there is no reference to the inventor/designer of Lisp,
John McCarth?
From: Brian Palmer
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:12:46 +0300, ·······@pontos.net said...
> ilias wrote:
> > i read about scheme.
> >
> > a 'central document'
> >
> > http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/r5rs.pdf
>
> from page one of the document.
>
> "
> The report gives a dening description of the program-
> ming language Scheme. Scheme is a statically scoped and
> properly tail-recursive dialect of the Lisp programming
> language invented by Guy Lewis Steele Jr. and Gerald
> Jay Sussman.
> "
>
> my english is not the best.
>
> but is the above paragraph not a little missleading?
>
> e.g. for a newcomer which learns scheme and does not know about lisp
> history?
>
> the word "invented" connects to the word "Scheme".
>
> but isn't it possible to understand it wrong?
>
> to connect "invented"  to the immediately following "Lisp programming
> language"?

If your quote is verbatim then you are correct.  It's like saying "my
vehicle caught on fire, so I grabbed my dog out of the back seat and
smothered it with a wet blanket".

You should contact the author(s) of the document you cited and let them
know.  I don't think email will violate your medium clause.
From: Feuer
Brian Palmer wrote:

> > "
> > The report gives a dening description of the program-
> > ming language Scheme. Scheme is a statically scoped and
> > properly tail-recursive dialect of the Lisp programming
> > language invented by Guy Lewis Steele Jr. and Gerald
> > Jay Sussman.
> > "

> If your quote is verbatim then you are correct.  It's like saying "my
> vehicle caught on fire, so I grabbed my dog out of the back seat and
> smothered it with a wet blanket".

No it's not.  The Report is grammatically ambiguous (not incorrect),
but the context makes it clear what is intended.

David
From: ilias
Feuer wrote:

> Brian Palmer wrote:
>

>>>"
>>>The report gives a dening description of the program-
>>>ming language Scheme. Scheme is a statically scoped and
>>>properly tail-recursive dialect of the Lisp programming
>>>language invented by Guy Lewis Steele Jr. and Gerald
>>>Jay Sussman.
>>>"
>>

>>If your quote is verbatim then you are correct.  It's like saying "my
>>vehicle caught on fire, so I grabbed my dog out of the back seat and
>>smothered it with a wet blanket".
>

> No it's not.  The Report is grammatically ambiguous (not incorrect),
> but the context makes it clear what is intended.
>
> David

this sounds like "fuzzy specifications of Common Lisp".

but here is Scheme.

or is Scheme the same thing?

i recognize some of the names in the documents of R5RS.

Saw them again in the specs of Common Lisp.
From: ilias
Brian Palmer wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:12:46 +0300, ·······@pontos.net said...
>
>>ilias wrote:
>>
>>>i read about scheme.
>>>
>>>a 'central document'
>>>
>>>http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/r5rs.pdf
>>
>>from page one of the document.
>>
>>"
>>The report gives a dening description of the program-
>>ming language Scheme. Scheme is a statically scoped and
>>properly tail-recursive dialect of the Lisp programming
>>language invented by Guy Lewis Steele Jr. and Gerald
>>Jay Sussman.
>>"
>>
>>my english is not the best.
>>
>>but is the above paragraph not a little missleading?
>>
>>e.g. for a newcomer which learns scheme and does not know about lisp
>>history?
>>
>>the word "invented" connects to the word "Scheme".
>>
>>but isn't it possible to understand it wrong?
>>
 >>to connect "invented"  to the immediately following "Lisp programming
 >>language"?

correction:
to connect "invented"  to the immediately previously "Lisp programming
language"?

> If your quote is verbatim then you are correct.  It's like saying "my
> vehicle caught on fire, so I grabbed my dog out of the back seat and
> smothered it with a wet blanket".

funny example.

i understand.

> You should contact the author(s) of the document you cited and let them

i'm not interested to contact the author(s).

i think that the authors are aware of the ambigouity.

> know.  I don't think email will violate your medium clause.

it violates my medium clause.
From: ilias
Brian Palmer wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:23:08 +0300, ·······@pontos.net said...
>
>>>You should contact the author(s) of the document you cited and let them
>>
>>i'm not interested to contact the author(s).
>>
>>i think that the authors are aware of the ambigouity.
>
> Upon what information do you base this conclusion?

(information that is in subconscious)

"i think"

sense.

intuition.

maybe wrong.

>>>I don't think email will violate your medium clause.
>>
>>it violates my medium clause.
>
> You state you medium must be Internet or Usenet, so if you used a web-
> based email service (such as Hotmail) you would still be on the
> Internet.

a understand.

clarification: must be verifiable for other people in internet.

usenet: public speach.

email : not public speach.

people cannot verify.

> thus:
>
> medium accepted
>
> no violation
>
> inner peace

today no peace.

much headache again.

-
From: ilias
Brian Palmer wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:26:22 +0300, ·······@pontos.net said...

>>>You state you medium must be Internet or Usenet, so if you used a web-
>>>based email service (such as Hotmail) you would still be on the
>>>Internet.
>>
>>a understand.
>>
>>clarification: must be verifiable for other people in internet.
>>
>>usenet: public speach.
>>
>>email : not public speach.
>>
>>people cannot verify.
>

> Email may not be public, but any decent human being would provide a
> summary to usenet so that others could verify.

-

avoiding email.

avoids summaries.

avoids doubts.

-

time to sleep a little.
From: ilias
ilias wrote:
> i read about scheme.
>
> a 'central document'
>
> http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/r5rs.pdf
>
> what i've noticed:
>
> the name "McCarthy".
>
> i've found this name at one place in the document.
>
> Page 40 -
> 7.2. Formal semantics
> [...]
> t -> a, b McCarthy conditional "if t then a else b"
> [...]
>
> i know this name.
>
> since a few weeks i know this name.
>
> i think the authors meant: John McCarthy.
>
> inventor/designer of LISP.
>
> http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/history/
>
> scheme -> Lisp dialect.
>
> John McCarthy -> inventor/designer of LISP.
>
> Can someone explain me, why
>
> John McCarthy
>
> is in *not* referred in the whole document?
>
> as the inventor/designer of LISP?
>
> e.g.:
> page 46
> REFERENCES
> nothing.
>
> page 2:
> Background
> Acknowledgements
> nothing.
>
> please explain me.

i must say, i got not enouth answers in this topic.

someone tells me, i'll find the answer in Grossman book.

without further specification.

-

someone other identifies the book after a few posts.

then i've written:

"
could the 'lying hairsplitter' confirm this information? so the usenet
is freed from this doubt?

"

but no answer.

it is a book about writing style. "Chicago book of style" or so.

the someone tells me:

> There is no one-line answer.  Grossman has an entire chapter on
> issues relating to this question.

I don't care what Grossman writes in this chapter.

for me, it's irrelevant for this case.

maybe a scheme lover can serve me with some *concrete* facts that can
change my mind!

-

estimation: disrespect.

scheme => shame !