From: ilias
Subject: LISP - CommonLisp / Scheme - Differences
Can someone point me to a (if possible short) document which explains
the differences between Scheme and Common Lisp?

From: Peter Lewerin
Subject: Re: LISP - CommonLisp / Scheme - Differences
ilias wrote:

> Can someone point me to a (if possible short) document which explains
> the differences between Scheme and Common Lisp?

 From Google I got (among others):

From: ilias
Peter Lewerin wrote:
> ilias wrote:
>
>> Can someone point me to a (if possible short) document which explains
>> the differences between Scheme and Common Lisp?
>

>  From Google I got (among others):

i've read them.

scheme makes no sense.

all lisp-dialects => common lisp.

scheme not.

scheme = the most stubborn lispers.

at least it looks so.

anyway.
From: Feuer
ilias wrote:

> i've read them.
>
> scheme makes no sense.
>
> all lisp-dialects => common lisp.
>
> scheme not.
>
> scheme = the most stubborn lispers.
>
> at least it looks so.
>
> anyway.

You are an idiot.  Common Lisp is only one of a number of Lisps,
though more popular than most.  Scheme may or may not be a Lisp
(it is a call-by-value impure untyped/unitype functional language
with s-expression syntax, macro systems, a special top-level
environment, and letrec), but it derives directly from Lisp, was
invented in large part by the creator of Common Lisp, and is generally
considered a Lisp.

David
From: ilias
Feuer wrote:
> ilias wrote:
>

>>i've read them.
>>
>>scheme makes no sense.
>>
>>all lisp-dialects => common lisp.
>>
>>scheme not.
>>
>>scheme = the most stubborn lispers.
>>
>>at least it looks so.
>>
>>anyway.
>

> You are an idiot.

you've uncovered me.

> Common Lisp is only one of a number of Lisps,

Common Lisp is the "stop-this-desaster-you-stubborn-kids-lisp"

LISP dialects unified.

> though more popular than most.  Scheme may or may not be a Lisp
> (it is a call-by-value impure untyped/unitype functional language
> with s-expression syntax, macro systems, a special top-level
> environment, and letrec),

funny things all this.

> but it derives directly from Lisp,

aha.

> was invented in large part by the creator of Common Lisp,

who is that?

> and is generally considered a Lisp.

Scheme is simply redundant.

It should be a subset of ANSI Common Lisp.
From: Tim Bradshaw
* at news wrote:

> It should be a subset of ANSI Common Lisp.

call/cc.

I advise anyone who reads cls without reading cll and is considering
getting into a discussion with Ilias to have a quick search on Google
groups
(http://groups.google.com/groups?safe=images&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_ugroup=comp.lang.lisp&as_uauthors=ilias&lr=&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en)
for his postings in cll to see what kind of thing you are likely to
get into.

This has been a public service announcement.

--tim
From: ilias
Christopher Browne wrote:
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Feuer <·····@his.com> wrote:
>
>>ilias wrote:
>>

>>>i've read them.
>>>
>>>scheme makes no sense.
>>>
>>>all lisp-dialects => common lisp.
>>>
>>>scheme not.
>>>
>>>scheme = the most stubborn lispers.
>>>
>>>at least it looks so.
>>>
>>>anyway.
>>
>>You are an idiot.  Common Lisp is only one of a number of Lisps,
>>though more popular than most.  Scheme may or may not be a Lisp
>>(it is a call-by-value impure untyped/unitype functional language
>>with s-expression syntax, macro systems, a special top-level
>>environment, and letrec), but it derives directly from Lisp, was
>>invented in large part by the creator of Common Lisp, and is generally
>>considered a Lisp.
>

> You should be aware that this guy has been trolling comp.lang.lisp on
> the effective pretext that he's trying to "learn Lisp" but based on
> loudly trumpeting his misunderstandings of the ANSI standard as being
> /errors/ in the standard.

i'd like to ask you to not spread missinformation and to not discredit
my person.

what you are stating above is simply a form of: this guy lies.

whatever i do in c.l.l. was publically anounced in c.l.l.

i'm assimilating the best of lisp, throwing away its garbage (means:
avoid to use/learn the parts that i detect as irrelevant, redundant etc.).