From: An Engineer
Subject: Lisp for Linux
My situation is thus:

I know nothing about Lisp at all but find that I now need to get some
Lisp code running in a Linux environment.  I don't currently have a lisp
interpreter/compiler but have looked at the web to find one. Although
this looks promising when I look at the web pages I can make very little
sense of them.

What I really need is an IDIOT's guide to what I need to download to get
a Lisp program to run in a Red Hat Linux environment.  Can anyone help?

Thanks

Andrew

From: Friedrich Dominicus
Subject: Re: Lisp for Linux
An Engineer <····@here.com> writes:

> My situation is thus:
>
> I know nothing about Lisp at all but find that I now need to get some
> Lisp code running in a Linux environment.  I don't currently have a lisp
> interpreter/compiler but have looked at the web to find one. Although
> this looks promising when I look at the web pages I can make very little
> sense of them.
>
> What I really need is an IDIOT's guide to what I need to download to get
> a Lisp program to run in a Red Hat Linux environment.  Can anyone
>help?
You got more than one option. I'm sure RedHat has prepackaged Lisp
Interpreters/compilers. You can get an *rpm package form LispWorks
too. I would suggest using LispWorks because you do have to setup the
least from all the options.

Regards
Friedrich
From: quasi
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:44:13 +0100, An Engineer <····@here.com> wrote:

>My situation is thus:
>What I really need is an IDIOT's guide to what I need to download to get
>a Lisp program to run in a Red Hat Linux environment.  Can anyone help?

If you ever consider the Debian GNU/Linux distribution, CMUCL, Clisp,
GCL work almost out of the box.  Just download the .deb files or
apt-get can download/install/configure them for you.

Of these CMUCL is a native compiler
Clisp is a byte-code compiler
GCL compiler via C

hth
quasi
--
(be-good-p)
NIL
From: Matthew Danish
On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 05:52:23PM +0530, quasi wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:44:13 +0100, An Engineer <····@here.com> wrote:
>
> >My situation is thus:
> >What I really need is an IDIOT's guide to what I need to download to get
> >a Lisp program to run in a Red Hat Linux environment.  Can anyone help?
> >

> If you ever consider the Debian GNU/Linux distribution, CMUCL, Clisp,
> GCL work almost out of the box.  Just download the .deb files or
> apt-get can download/install/configure them for you.
>
> Of these CMUCL is a native compiler
> Clisp is a byte-code compiler
> GCL compiler via C

Except that GCL isn't an ANSI Common Lisp compiler last time I checked,
so you probably shouldn't recommend it (at least, not without qualifying
that recommendation).

http://ww.telent.net/cliki/index is a good starting place.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 05:52:23PM +0530, quasi wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:44:13 +0100, An Engineer <····@here.com> wrote:
> >
> > >My situation is thus:
> > >What I really need is an IDIOT's guide to what I need to download to get
> > >a Lisp program to run in a Red Hat Linux environment.  Can anyone help?
> > >

> > If you ever consider the Debian GNU/Linux distribution, CMUCL, Clisp,
> > GCL work almost out of the box.  Just download the .deb files or
> > apt-get can download/install/configure them for you.
> >
> > Of these CMUCL is a native compiler
> > Clisp is a byte-code compiler
> > GCL compiler via C
>
> Except that GCL isn't an ANSI Common Lisp compiler last time I checked,
> so you probably shouldn't recommend it (at least, not without qualifying
> that recommendation).

And, for that matter, neither is CLISP.  It is *heavily* deficient in
the CLOS department.  If you're not dealing with very OO code, it's
fine; but if you are, you'll quickly find how very far it is from
being an ANSI CL.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Matthew Danish
On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 12:11:24PM -0700, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> And, for that matter, neither is CLISP.  It is *heavily* deficient in
> the CLOS department.  If you're not dealing with very OO code, it's
> fine; but if you are, you'll quickly find how very far it is from
> being an ANSI CL.

As I just discovered today:

[1]> (defgeneric foo (t t))

*** - DEFGENERIC FOO: duplicate variable name T
1. Break [2]>

I went and looked at section 3.4.2 but couldn't find anything to justify
this error.

From: Vassil Nikolov
Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message news:<····················@lain.res.cmu.edu>...
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 12:11:24PM -0700, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> > And, for that matter, neither is CLISP.  It is *heavily* deficient in
> > the CLOS department.  If you're not dealing with very OO code, it's
> > fine; but if you are, you'll quickly find how very far it is from
> > being an ANSI CL.
>
> As I just discovered today:
>
> [1]> (defgeneric foo (t t))
>
> *** - DEFGENERIC FOO: duplicate variable name T
> 1. Break [2]>
>
> I went and looked at section 3.4.2 but couldn't find anything to justify
> this error.

That a generic function lambda list may have duplicate symbols
in it is _not_ listed among the differences from an ordinary
lambda list.

Also, it is not allowed to have a constant such as T there.

---Vassil.
From: Hartmann Schaffer
In article <····················@lain.res.cmu.edu>,
	Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 12:11:24PM -0700, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
>> And, for that matter, neither is CLISP.  It is *heavily* deficient in
>> the CLOS department.  If you're not dealing with very OO code, it's
>> fine; but if you are, you'll quickly find how very far it is from
>> being an ANSI CL.
>
> As I just discovered today:
>
> [1]> (defgeneric foo (t t))
>
> *** - DEFGENERIC FOO: duplicate variable name T
> 1. Break [2]>
>
> I went and looked at section 3.4.2 but couldn't find anything to justify
> this error.

well, you tried to define a generic function with two identically
named arguments.  otoh,

(defmethod foo ((t t)) t)

doesn't complain (i didn't try it any further than that)

hs

--

don't use malice as an explanation when stupidity suffices
From: Vassil Nikolov
··@heaven.nirvananet (Hartmann Schaffer) wrote in message news:<········@news.sentex.net>...
> In article <····················@lain.res.cmu.edu>,
> 	Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
> > On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 12:11:24PM -0700, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> >> And, for that matter, neither is CLISP.  It is *heavily* deficient in
> >> the CLOS department.  If you're not dealing with very OO code, it's
> >> fine; but if you are, you'll quickly find how very far it is from
> >> being an ANSI CL.
> >
> > As I just discovered today:
> >
> > [1]> (defgeneric foo (t t))
> >
> > *** - DEFGENERIC FOO: duplicate variable name T
> > 1. Break [2]>
> >
> > I went and looked at section 3.4.2 but couldn't find anything to justify
> > this error.
>
> well, you tried to define a generic function with two identically
> named arguments.  otoh,
>
> (defmethod foo ((t t)) t)
>
> doesn't complain (i didn't try it any further than that)
>
> hs

It should have---binding a constant is not allowed.

Now, if you have a class named X, and X is not a constant,
you could say

  (defmethod foo ((x x)) x)

---Vassil.
From: Michael Hudson
Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 12:11:24PM -0700, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> > And, for that matter, neither is CLISP.  It is *heavily* deficient in
> > the CLOS department.  If you're not dealing with very OO code, it's
> > fine; but if you are, you'll quickly find how very far it is from
> > being an ANSI CL.
>
> As I just discovered today:
>
> [1]> (defgeneric foo (t t))
>
> *** - DEFGENERIC FOO: duplicate variable name T
> 1. Break [2]>

T is a BAD variable name, quite apart from anything else...

Cheers,
M.

--
  incidentally, asking why things are "left out of the language" is
  a good sign that the asker is fairly clueless.
From: Matthew Danish
On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:28:12AM +0000, Michael Hudson wrote:
> > [1]> (defgeneric foo (t t))
> >
> > *** - DEFGENERIC FOO: duplicate variable name T
> > 1. Break [2]>
>
> T is a BAD variable name, quite apart from anything else...

As I've recently discovered, generic functions take variable names as
arguments, whereas I had previously thought that only the structure
mattered.  I'm going to have to poke around a bit and figure out where I
picked up the [bad] habit of using T in generic function lambda lists
(usually only for quickly hacked up code, fortunately).

From: Michael A. Koerber
 > What I really need is an IDIOT's guide to what I need to download to get
 > a Lisp program to run in a Red Hat Linux environment.  Can anyone help?

1.  I'm responding based on your e-mail "An Engineer", which to me means
you'll be interested in numerically intensive applications.  If this
is true get CMUCL (http://www.cons.org/cmucl/) or purchase ACL (http://www.franz.com/)
The links above should be sufficient.  See http://www.lisp.org/ for
additional links.

mike
Dr Michael A. Koerber    	Micro$oft Free Zone
MIT/Lincoln Laboratory