From: Aleksandr Skobelev
Subject: problem with REQUIRE in CMUCL
It is a bug in CMUCL, or just I do something wrong?

----------------------
CMU Common Lisp 18d, running on localhost
Send questions to ··········@cons.org. and bug reports to ·········@cons.org.
Loaded subsystems:
    Python 1.0, target Intel x86
    CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
*
* *modules*
("LOOP")
* (require "LOOP")
NIL
*

----------------------

And if load current DEFSYSTEM from CLOCC then

----------------------
* (require "LOOP")
Warning: System LOOP doesn't seem to be defined...
NIL
*

----------------------

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: problem with REQUIRE in CMUCL
Aleksandr Skobelev <···········@list.ru> writes:

> It is a bug in CMUCL, or just I do something wrong?

I think this is a bug in defsystem.  The function NEW-REQUIRE in
defsystem.lisp contains this:

	       (find #-CMU (string module-name)
	             #+CMU (string-downcase (string module-name))
		     *modules* :test #'string=))

The use of STRING-DOWNCASE looks like a bug to me, but I could be
wrong.  Anyway, I changed this to:

              (find (string module-name)
		     *modules* :test #'string=)

and REQUIRE behaves the way I want it.

hth,
Helmut.
From: Marco Antoniotti
Helmut Eller <········@stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Aleksandr Skobelev <···········@list.ru> writes:
>
> > It is a bug in CMUCL, or just I do something wrong?
>
> I think this is a bug in defsystem.  The function NEW-REQUIRE in
> defsystem.lisp contains this:
>
> 	       (find #-CMU (string module-name)
> 	             #+CMU (string-downcase (string module-name))
> 		     *modules* :test #'string=))
>
> The use of STRING-DOWNCASE looks like a bug to me, but I could be
> wrong.  Anyway, I changed this to:
>
>               (find (string module-name)
> 		     *modules* :test #'string=)
>
> and REQUIRE behaves the way I want it.

Thanks for pointing this out.  However the right fix is

It does look like the right thing.

Cheers

715 Broadway 10th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Marco Antoniotti
Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

> Helmut Eller <········@stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:
>
> > Aleksandr Skobelev <···········@list.ru> writes:
> >
> > > It is a bug in CMUCL, or just I do something wrong?
> >
> > I think this is a bug in defsystem.  The function NEW-REQUIRE in
> > defsystem.lisp contains this:
> >
> > 	       (find #-CMU (string module-name)
> > 	             #+CMU (string-downcase (string module-name))
> > 		     *modules* :test #'string=))
> >
> > The use of STRING-DOWNCASE looks like a bug to me, but I could be
> > wrong.  Anyway, I changed this to:
> >
> >               (find (string module-name)
> > 		     *modules* :test #'string=)
> >
> > and REQUIRE behaves the way I want it.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.  However the right fix is
>
> It does look like the right thing.

Lest people start thinking I "drank my brain" (as we say in Italy),
let me assure you that the above was an accidental posting on an
unfinished article.  The relevant sentence is the last one.

From: Marco Antoniotti
Helmut Eller <········@stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Aleksandr Skobelev <···········@list.ru> writes:
>
> > It is a bug in CMUCL, or just I do something wrong?
>
> I think this is a bug in defsystem.  The function NEW-REQUIRE in
> defsystem.lisp contains this:
>
> 	       (find #-CMU (string module-name)
> 	             #+CMU (string-downcase (string module-name))
> 		     *modules* :test #'string=))
>
> The use of STRING-DOWNCASE looks like a bug to me, but I could be
> wrong.  Anyway, I changed this to:
>
>               (find (string module-name)
> 		     *modules* :test #'string=)
>
> and REQUIRE behaves the way I want it.

I fixed the problem but the Sourceforge server is not operational this
morning.  You will see this in the CVS (module `defsystem-3.x') when
I can reconnect to the server.

From: Aleksandr Skobelev
Helmut Eller <········@stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Aleksandr Skobelev <···········@list.ru> writes:
>
> > It is a bug in CMUCL, or just I do something wrong?
>
> I think this is a bug in defsystem.  The function NEW-REQUIRE in
> defsystem.lisp contains this:
>
> 	       (find #-CMU (string module-name)
> 	             #+CMU (string-downcase (string module-name))
> 		     *modules* :test #'string=))
>
> The use of STRING-DOWNCASE looks like a bug to me, but I could be
> wrong.  Anyway, I changed this to:
>
>               (find (string module-name)
> 		     *modules* :test #'string=)
>
> and REQUIRE behaves the way I want it.

Yes. I saw it also. But I was confused a little. For I restarted CMUCL
without DEFSYSTEM and waited to got non NIL value from native REQUIRE.
But I didn't get it and decided that it might has been a bug also.
Sigh. Something went wrong way in my head.

So, there is the bug in DEFSYSTEM only.