From: Manuel Serrano
Subject: Scheme Scribe
This announces the release 1.0d of SCRIBE. It is available at:

	http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Scribe

SCRIBE is a text processor. Even if it is a general purpose tool, it
best suits the writing of technical documents such as web pages or
technical reports, API documentations, etc. At first glance, SCRIBE
looks like a mark-up language � la HTML. So, there is no need to be
provided with computer programming skills in order to use SCRIBE.

A second look reveals that SCRIBE is actually a true programming
language, provided with high level features (such as objects, higher
order functions, regular and syntactic parsing, etc.).

SCRIBE is based on the Scheme programming language. It extends Scheme
in three directions:

 1. An extensive library for representing and handling texts.
 2. A additional syntactic construction that enables compact source files.
 3. An evaluation model that suits text processing.

From SCRIBE source files it is possible to produce various targets:

 . HTML pages that can be used to implement a web site.
 . LaTeX files that can be used to produce high quality Postscript or
   PDF files.
 . Info files that suit the Emacs Info mode.
 . Man pages for Unix documentation.
 . Plain texts.
 . Slides (MagicPoint or DVI).

Several SCRIBE examples are available:

 . The SCRIBE web page (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Scribe) is entirely
   implemented in Scribe. In particular, the SCRIBE user manual
   (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Scribe/user/user.html) is implemented
   in SCRIBE.
 . The Bigloo home (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo) page illustrates
   the SCRIBE skills for web page production.
 . The R5RS (http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo/doc/r5rs.html) illustrates
   SCRIBE skills for processing Texinfo source files.
 . The SCRIBE (http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Scribe/doc/scribe.html) white
   paper illustrates SCRIBE skills for producing articles.

The SCRIBE distribution contains various other examples.

Two versions of Scribe are available:

 . a source version.
 . a pre-compiled version.

The source version requires the Bigloo compiler version 2.5b. The
pre-compiled version only requires a JDK1.3 or higher.

--
Manuel Serrano

From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: Scheme Scribe
Manuel Serrano <··············@sophia.inria.fr> writes:

> This announces the release 1.0d of SCRIBE. It is available at:
>
> 	http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Scribe
>

> SCRIBE is a text processor. Even if it is a general purpose tool, it
> best suits the writing of technical documents such as web pages or
> technical reports, API documentations, etc. At first glance, SCRIBE
> looks like a mark-up language  la HTML. So, there is no need to be
> provided with computer programming skills in order to use SCRIBE.

Is this at all related to the SCRIBE typsetting tool that was the
inspiration for the LaTeX package?  I don't know if that package is
still around, but it might cause some confusion if you use the same
name.

From: Jens Axel Sgaard
Thomas A. Russ wrote:

> Is this at all related to the SCRIBE typsetting tool that
> was the inspiration for the LaTeX package?

No.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W26C31CC1

--
Jens Axel Sgaard
From: Christopher C. Stacy

 Thomas> Manuel Serrano <··············@sophia.inria.fr> writes:

 >> This announces the release 1.0d of SCRIBE. It is available at:
 >>
 >> http://www.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Scribe
 >>

 >> SCRIBE is a text processor. Even if it is a general purpose tool, it
 >> best suits the writing of technical documents such as web pages or
 >> technical reports, API documentations, etc. At first glance, SCRIBE
 >> looks like a mark-up language  la HTML. So, there is no need to be
 >> provided with computer programming skills in order to use SCRIBE.

 Thomas> Is this at all related to the SCRIBE typsetting tool that was the
 Thomas> inspiration for the LaTeX package?  I don't know if that package is
 Thomas> still around, but it might cause some confusion if you use the same
 Thomas> name.

Does SCRIBE run in CMU CL?
From: Jens Axel S�gaard

?

See http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Scribe/scribe.html#container1037

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: Christopher C. Stacy
 Jens> Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
 >> Does SCRIBE run in CMU CL?

 Jens> ?

It's a joke.
From: Jens Axel S�gaard
Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
>  Jens> Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
>  >> Does SCRIBE run in CMU CL?
>
>  Jens> ?
>
> It's a joke.

A poor one?

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: Christopher C. Stacy

 Jens> ?

 >> It's a joke.

 Jens> A poor one?

No, just one you didn't get.
From: Jens Axel S�gaard
Christopher C. Stacy wrote:

>  >> >> Does SCRIBE run in CMU CL?
>  >>
>  Jens> ?
>  >>
>  >> It's a joke.
>
>  Jens> A poor one?
>
> No, just one you didn't get.

Then explain it.

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: Christopher C. Stacy

 Jens> ?

 Jens> A poor one?

 >> No, just one you didn't get.

 Jens> Then explain it.

No, and I'm not going to tell you about the ice cream store, either.