From: Stephen Gibberd
Subject: Installation of clawk package on debian/cmucl system
I'm trying to install the clawk package I downloaded from
http://www.geocities.com/mparker762/clawk.html but after untaring the
files, I don't know which directories to copy files to, or which files
I need to edit to install it on a standard debian system running
cmucl. I'm tried moving files into the
/usr/share/common-lisp/repositories systems and source directories
without success so far. Is there any documentation on setting up
packages anywhere?

Thanks, Stephen

From: Andreas Hinze
Stephen Gibberd wrote:

> I'm trying to install the clawk package I downloaded from
> http://www.geocities.com/mparker762/clawk.html but after untaring the
> files, I don't know which directories to copy files to, or which files
> I need to edit to install it on a standard debian system running
> cmucl. I'm tried moving files into the
> /usr/share/common-lisp/repositories systems and source directories
> without success so far. Is there any documentation on setting up
> packages anywhere?

Did your lisp load the system definitions when you type (require :regex) ?
What is the error message.
I have CLAWK in my local repository but there should be no big difference
compared to yours.
I use the following directory structure
/home/ahz/
          systems/
          source/
                 clawk/
                 regex/
                 lexer/
                 clawk/

You might need to change the *.systems files to the appropriate directory
structure.

Hope that helps
Best
AHz
From: Stephen Gibberd
Andreas Hinze <···@smi.de> wrote in message news:<·················@smi.de>...

I get an error message:

* (require :regex)

File-error in function TRANSLATE-LOGICAL-PATHNAME:
   No translation for #.(logical-pathname "REGEX:SRC;")

and the regex.translations file has the lines:

(setf (logical-pathname-translations "REGEX")
      '(("REGEX:SYS;*" "/usr/share/common-lisp/repositories/regex/*")
        ("REGEX:SRC;*" "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/regex/*")))

and I put all the *.lisp files into the above two directories. Any ideas?

Thanks, Stephen

From: Andreas Hinze
Stephen Gibberd wrote:

> Andreas Hinze <···@smi.de> wrote in message news:<·················@smi.de>...
>
> I get an error message:
>
> * (require :regex)

> File-error in function TRANSLATE-LOGICAL-PATHNAME:
>    No translation for #.(logical-pathname "REGEX:SRC;")
>
> and the regex.translations file has the lines:
>
> (setf (logical-pathname-translations "REGEX")
>       '(("REGEX:SYS;*" "/usr/share/common-lisp/repositories/regex/*")
>         ("REGEX:SRC;*" "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/regex/*")))
>
> and I put all the *.lisp files into the above two directories. Any ideas?

I think the simplest solution is to replace

  (load-logical-pathname-translations "REGEX")

with

  (setf (logical-pathname-translations "REGEX")
        '(("REGEX:SYS;*" "/usr/share/common-lisp/repositories/regex/*")
          ("REGEX:SRC;*" "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/regex/*")))

in the regex.system files.
However this is a hack but i'm currently not shure from where the translations
are loaded from CMUCL.
Hope that helps
Best
AHz
From: Michael Parker
Stephen Gibberd wrote:
> Andreas Hinze <···@smi.de> wrote in message news:<·················@smi.de>...
>
> I get an error message:
>
> * (require :regex)

> File-error in function TRANSLATE-LOGICAL-PATHNAME:
>    No translation for #.(logical-pathname "REGEX:SRC;")
>
> and the regex.translations file has the lines:
>
> (setf (logical-pathname-translations "REGEX")
>       '(("REGEX:SYS;*" "/usr/share/common-lisp/repositories/regex/*")
>         ("REGEX:SRC;*" "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/regex/*")))
>
> and I put all the *.lisp files into the above two directories. Any ideas?

There's a line in the system file that goes something like
(load-logical-pathname-translations "REGEX")

This function isn't finding the translations file.  I don't know where
CMUCL looks for translations, but you need to move the translations file
into that location (and possibly rename it to match CMUCL's requirements).

Or you can just do the (setf (logical-pathname-translations ...)) in the
system file directly.

Several CMUCL users have had this problem which leads me to suspect that
CMUCL's documentation is a little thin here, so I think I'll go ahead
and change the code in the standard distribution to do this.
From: Paul Foley
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:10:01 GMT, Michael Parker wrote:

> Stephen Gibberd wrote:

> There's a line in the system file that goes something like
> (load-logical-pathname-translations "REGEX")

> This function isn't finding the translations file.  I don't know where
> CMUCL looks for translations, but you need to move the translations file
> into that location (and possibly rename it to match CMUCL's requirements).

It looks in "library:regex.translations"

You can append paths to the "library:" search-list to make it look
wherever you like.

--
If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem.
                                      -- C. Durance, Computer Science 234
From: Stephen Gibberd
Thanks for you help. It is at the point when it is trying to compile,
but I get an error message:

* (require :regex)

;    - Binary file /usr/share/common-lisp/source/regex/packages.x86f
is old or does not exist.
;      Compile (and load) source file
/usr/share/common-lisp/source/regex/packages.lisp instead? y

;    - Should I bother you if this happens again? y

Type-error in COMMON-LISP::PACKAGE-OR-LOSE:  "CLOS" is not of type
PACKAGE

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE] Make this package.
  1: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.

I think that the CLOS package is installed, as I've installed clue
which used the CLOS system according to the documentation. The line in
the packages.lisp that refers to CLOS is:

 (:use COMMON-LISP CLOS)

Any idea what this should be changed to ?

Thanks, Stephen
From: Andreas Hinze
Stephen Gibberd wrote:

> Thanks for you help. It is at the point when it is trying to compile,
> but I get an error message:
>
> * (require :regex)
>
> ;    - Binary file /usr/share/common-lisp/source/regex/packages.x86f
> is old or does not exist.
> ;      Compile (and load) source file
> /usr/share/common-lisp/source/regex/packages.lisp instead? y
>
> ;    - Should I bother you if this happens again? y
>
> Type-error in COMMON-LISP::PACKAGE-OR-LOSE:  "CLOS" is not of type
> PACKAGE
>
> Restarts:
>   0: [CONTINUE] Make this package.
>   1: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.
>
> I think that the CLOS package is installed, as I've installed clue
> which used the CLOS system according to the documentation. The line in
> the packages.lisp that refers to CLOS is:
>
>  (:use COMMON-LISP CLOS)
>
> Any idea what this should be changed to ?

This is one of a few bugs that i reproted to Michael Parker a few days
ago. As far as i know most of them are fixed in the actual distribution
on his web page. So you might to pick the new package.
If you want to change it per hand:

1) change all occurences of (:use COMMON-LISP CLOS) to
  #-CMU(:use COMMON-LISP CLOS)
  #+CMU(:use COMMON-LISP)

 (if i remember right it was only this one)

2) look in the file lexer.lisp for
      finally return ....
   change it to
      finally (return ...)
   (don't miss the closing ")" )

3) Wenn you run the lexer test code from Michael's site you will find
   that the last call will raise a floating point overflow error.
   Simply change your *reader-default-float-format* to 'DOUBLE-FLOAT then
   it will work (Patch is in work).

Hope that i doesn't forget one.
Best
AHz
From: Andreas Hinze
Paul Foley wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:10:01 GMT, Michael Parker wrote:
>
> > Stephen Gibberd wrote:
>
> > There's a line in the system file that goes something like
> > (load-logical-pathname-translations "REGEX")
>
> > This function isn't finding the translations file.  I don't know where
> > CMUCL looks for translations, but you need to move the translations file
> > into that location (and possibly rename it to match CMUCL's requirements).
>
> It looks in "library:regex.translations"
>
> You can append paths to the "library:" search-list to make it look
> wherever you like.

As far as i know CMU want's pairs as entries in a *.translation file.
That's why CMU complains about regex.translation. It contains a
setf statement to set up the logical pathnames.

Best
AHz
From: Paul Foley
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:50:43 +0200, Andreas Hinze wrote:

> Paul Foley wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:10:01 GMT, Michael Parker wrote:
>>
>> > Stephen Gibberd wrote:
>>
>> > There's a line in the system file that goes something like
>> > (load-logical-pathname-translations "REGEX")
>>
>> > This function isn't finding the translations file.  I don't know where
>> > CMUCL looks for translations, but you need to move the translations file
>> > into that location (and possibly rename it to match CMUCL's requirements).
>>
>> It looks in "library:regex.translations"
>>
>> You can append paths to the "library:" search-list to make it look
>> wherever you like.
>>
> As far as i know CMU want's pairs as entries in a *.translation file.

A list, as you'd supply to (SETF LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS), yes.

> That's why CMU complains about regex.translation. It contains a
> setf statement to set up the logical pathnames.

What contains a SETF?  There's no point trying to provide pre-written
translations files, except as demos; if you knew what to put in them,
you wouldn't need logical pathnames.

From: Andreas Hinze
Paul Foley wrote:

> What contains a SETF?  There's no point trying to provide pre-written
> translations files, except as demos; if you knew what to put in them,
> you wouldn't need logical pathnames.

Right. I assume it is for demonstration purposes only.
However, i changed the *.system files to contain the appropriate pathes.
But that comes simply from the fact that i use that way for my own projects
too. I had never tried to use logical pathnames for this purpose. Maybe
i should give it a try ?

Best
AHz