From: quasi
Subject: win32 setup & cl-cookbook
Friends,
	I am using CMUCL/Debian for some time now.  But reading the
windows setup page in the cookbook I tried to setup emacs on windows
98.  But there were a few problems inspite of following all given
instructions.

#1. When I start clisp by pressing F5 the whole emacs hangs.
#2. Then I installed corman lisp.  How to start corman lisp without
starting clisp? & why is it mentioned in the cookbook that elisp mode
will be used for corman lisp not ilisp?  There is a cormanlisp.lisp
file in the ilisp directory.

thanks.
quasi
--
look!! no semicolons !

From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Re: win32 setup & cl-cookbook
quasi <·········@yahoo.com> writes:

> 	I am using CMUCL/Debian for some time now.  But reading the
> windows setup page in the cookbook I tried to setup emacs on windows
> 98.  But there were a few problems inspite of following all given
> instructions.
>
> #1. When I start clisp by pressing F5 the whole emacs hangs.

A number of people have reported that CLISP takes a very long time to
start up on ILISP/Emacs on Win98. I have tried it as well on Win98 and
found the same thing to be true. The problem doesn't exist on either
W2k or WinXP. There was a discussion on the ILISP or CLISP mailing lists
about this just recently and, IIRC, a partial fix was proposed. You
might want to have a look at the ILISP list archives or just try
downloading the cvs version of ILISP.

> #2. Then I installed corman lisp.  How to start corman lisp without
> starting clisp? & why is it mentioned in the cookbook that elisp mode
> will be used for corman lisp not ilisp?  There is a cormanlisp.lisp
> file in the ilisp directory.

As far as I am aware, nobody has been able to get a recent version of
Corman working with ILISP. There have been discussions on both the ILISP
& Corman lists about this and, AFAIK, nobody has been able to get it
working. Therefore, the CL Cookbook just has instructions for using
Corman with eshell.

--
Bill Clementson
From: Reini Urban
Bill Clementson schrieb:
> As far as I am aware, nobody has been able to get a recent version of
> Corman working with ILISP. There have been discussions on both the ILISP
> & Corman lists about this and, AFAIK, nobody has been able to get it
> working. Therefore, the CL Cookbook just has instructions for using
> Corman with eshell.

I do. But corman bootstrapping is quite tricky because of read-table
issues. Once you have the three ilisp/*.lisp files or better a dumped
image including the ILISP package it works fine for me. On ntemacs and
xemacs as native and cygwin version.
Sounds similar to cmucl.
I'm still waiting for cormanlisp 2.0, if this has the needed
functionality. If not, I'll provide some binaries.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/