From: Thomas Guettler
Subject: Third Square Root (sqrt3)?
Hi!

I need to compute the third square root:

Example:
  sqrt3(27) --> 3

I use Allegro 3.0.2 on win32

I searched in the documentation, but I didn't find
an answer.

  thomas

From: Raymond Wiker
Subject: Re: Third Square Root (sqrt3)?
Thomas Guettler <···········@thomas-guettler.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I need to compute the third square root:
>
> Example:
>   sqrt3(27) --> 3
>
> I use Allegro 3.0.2 on win32
>
> I searched in the documentation, but I didn't find
> an answer.

        nthroot(x, n) == expt(x, 1/n)

=>      (expt 27 (/ 3))

--
Raymond Wiker                        Mail:  ·············@fast.no
Senior Software Engineer             Web:   http://www.fast.no/

Try FAST Search: http://alltheweb.com/
From: Thomas Guettler
Raymond Wiker schrieb:
> Thomas Guettler <···········@thomas-guettler.de> writes:
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>I need to compute the third square root:
>>
>>Example:
>>  sqrt3(27) --> 3
>>
>>I use Allegro 3.0.2 on win32
>>
>>I searched in the documentation, but I didn't find
>>an answer.
>

>         nthroot(x, n) == expt(x, 1/n)
>
> =>      (expt 27 (/ 3))

Thank you very much!

   thomas
From: Edi Weitz
Thomas Guettler <···········@thomas-guettler.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I need to compute the third square root:
>
> Example:
>   sqrt3(27) --> 3
>
> I use Allegro 3.0.2 on win32
>
> I searched in the documentation, but I didn't find
> an answer.

You should search in your old math books first. What is "the third
square root" supposed to be? From your example I suppose you're
looking for the third root of x instead which is the same as x to the
power of 1/3th:

  [CMUCL 18d]

  * (expt 27 1/3)
  3.0

Some implementations might even yield exact results in some cases (see
the notes at the end of the CLHS page for EXPT):

  [CLISP 2.29]

  [1]> (expt 27 1/3)
  3
  [2]> (type-of (expt 27 1/3))
  FIXNUM

Edi.
From: Erik Naggum
* Thomas Guettler
| I need to compute the third square root:

  It is actually called the cube root.

--
Erik Naggum, Oslo, Norway

From: Bruce Hoult
In article <················@naggum.no>, Erik Naggum <····@naggum.no>
wrote:

> * Thomas Guettler
> | I need to compute the third square root:
>
>   It is actually called the cube root.

Erik perhaps could have mentioned that "third root" is also perfectly
acceptable English.

-- Bruce
From: Will Deakin
Bruce Hoult wrote:
> Erik perhaps could have mentioned that "third root" is also perfectly
> acceptable English.
Where? If it *is*, it is a form of technical english that I am
unfamiliar with.

:)w
From: ··@spam.thanks
Will Deakin  wrote:
>Where? If it *is*, it is a form of technical english that I am
>unfamiliar with.

It's quite common in England.
Third, fourth, fifth roots are not unheard of.
First and second roots are rare :-)
From: Will Deakin
··@spam.thanks wrote:
> It's quite common in England.
Really? are you sure? Where in England. I have lived, studied and
worked all my life in the UK I have never encountered this phrase.

:)w
From: Peter Ward
Will Deakin  wrote:

>··@spam.thanks wrote:
>> It's quite common in England.
>Really? are you sure? Where in England. I have lived, studied and
>worked all my life in the UK I have never encountered this phrase.

Just based on my school and college experience. Admittedly 'cube' root is more common. I cannot cite a reference but "third power" and "third root" go together as well as "cube" and "cube root".
From: Will Deakin
Peter Ward wrote:
> Just based on my school and college experience.
Hmmm. Where?

(I have experience of school and college in Bristol, Powys,
Birmingham, Stoke, Stafford, Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester and as I
currently live and work in Yorkshire and I still have yet to encounter
"third root" except in the context of enumerating the roots of
polynomial equations: e.g. to refering to the third root of the
quartic[1] (+ (* (+ (* (+ (* (+ x a) x) b) x) c) x) d) [2]...)

:)w

[1] ...or bi-quadratic...
[2] or in infix notation x^4 + ax^3 +bx^2 + cx + d ;)
From: Peter Ward
Will Deakin  wrote:

>Peter Ward wrote:
>> Just based on my school and college experience.
>Hmmm. Where?
>
>(I have experience of school and college in Bristol, Powys,
>Birmingham, Stoke, Stafford, Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester and as I
>currently live and work in Yorkshire and I still have yet to encounter
>"third root" except in the context of enumerating the roots of
>polynomial equations: e.g. to refering to the third root of the
>quartic[1] (+ (* (+ (* (+ (* (+ x a) x) b) x) c) x) d) [2]...)

I defer to your greater mobility. I went to school only in Ramsgate and college in Cambridge. I work in London, but not with Lisp. So I could claim it was commonly used in the Isle of Thanet, but I won't.
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Will Deakin wrote:
> Really? are you sure? Where in England. I have lived, studied and
> worked all my life in the UK I have never encountered this phrase.

Me too.  Fourth and up root is common, but I've never come across
third root.

--tim
From: sv0f
In article <···············@cley.com>, Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com> wrote:

>* Will Deakin wrote:
>> Really? are you sure? Where in England. I have lived, studied and
>> worked all my life in the UK I have never encountered this phrase.
>
>Me too.  Fourth and up root is common, but I've never come across
>third root.

Ditto for me, born, raised, and currently living in the US.

I assume this convention exists to minimize the length of
(English) utterances: "square" and "cube" are monosyllabic,
whereas quartic, quintic, and the like are polysyllablic.
From: Tim Bradshaw
* none  wrote:

> I assume this convention exists to minimize the length of
> (English) utterances: "square" and "cube" are monosyllabic,
> whereas quartic, quintic, and the like are polysyllablic.

No, I don't think so.  I think it's because of the relation between
nth-order expressions and n-dimensional spaces.  I think it stops
after `cube' because people tend not to have experience of (and
therefore words for) spaces of dimension greater than 3.

--tim
From: sv0f
In article <···············@cley.com>, Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com> wrote:

>* none  wrote:
>
>> I assume this convention exists to minimize the length of
>> (English) utterances: "square" and "cube" are monosyllabic,
>> whereas quartic, quintic, and the like are polysyllablic.
>
>No, I don't think so.  I think it's because of the relation between
>nth-order expressions and n-dimensional spaces.  I think it stops
>after `cube' because people tend not to have experience of (and
>therefore words for) spaces of dimension greater than 3.

Interesting hypothesis.

When I think of roots and multidimensional spaces, I think of the
Minkowski distance metric.  We say "distance" and "Euclidean
distance" for the special cases of N=1 and N=2, respectively, but
use the general form of the metric when N>=3.

I don't know is this is relevant or a non-sequitir...
From: Tim Bradshaw
* none  wrote:
> When I think of roots and multidimensional spaces, I think of the
> Minkowski distance metric.  We say "distance" and "Euclidean
> distance" for the special cases of N=1 and N=2, respectively, but
> use the general form of the metric when N>=3.

I think for a physicist that (a) the minkowski metric would actually
something with signature (+,+,+,-) (or (-,-,-,+)), or in general with
n-1 +s and a - or vice-versa.  And obviously it isn't actually a
metric, but...  And (b) `Euclidian' can be used for any number of
dimensions (`Euclidian n-space').  Euclidean can *certainly* be used
in physics for n=3.

> I don't know is this is relevant or a non-sequitir...

No, me neither.  more interesting than some other current threads
though.

--tim
From: Duane Rettig
Tim Bradshaw <···@cley.com> writes:

> * none  wrote:
>
> > I assume this convention exists to minimize the length of
> > (English) utterances: "square" and "cube" are monosyllabic,
> > whereas quartic, quintic, and the like are polysyllablic.
>
> No, I don't think so.  I think it's because of the relation between
> nth-order expressions and n-dimensional spaces.  I think it stops
> after `cube' because people tend not to have experience of (and
> therefore words for) spaces of dimension greater than 3.

I don't know about that.  With that logic we would have developed the
term "hypercube root".

From: Tim Bradshaw
* Duane Rettig wrote:

> I don't know about that.  With that logic we would have developed the
> term "hypercube root".

I don't think so, because hypercube (to me, anyway) means a `cube' in
a space of dimension > 3, so hypercube root is too vague...

--tim
From: Barry Margolin
In article <···············@cley.com>, Tim Bradshaw  <···@cley.com> wrote:
>* Duane Rettig wrote:
>
>> I don't know about that.  With that logic we would have developed the
>> term "hypercube root".
>
>I don't think so, because hypercube (to me, anyway) means a `cube' in
>a space of dimension > 3, so hypercube root is too vague...

Like I said in my last post, the term would be "tesseract root".

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
From: Bruce Hoult
wrote:

> * Will Deakin wrote:
> > Really? are you sure? Where in England. I have lived, studied and
> > worked all my life in the UK I have never encountered this phrase.
>
> Me too.  Fourth and up root is common, but I've never come across
> third root.

I was commenting more about grammar than about frequency of use.  I
certainly agree that "cube root" is far more commonly heard than "third
root", but I wouldn't expect anyone to have any trouble understanding
what is meant by "third root".  "third square root", on the other hand,
is quite dissonant to the ear.

It's pretty easy to find uses of "third root".  e.g.

-- Bruce
From: Erik Naggum
* Bruce Hoult
| Erik perhaps could have mentioned that "third root" is also perfectly
| acceptable English.

  No, I could not.  /You/ could have mentioned this, which is contrary to an
  amazing array of reference works, both online and offline.  Unless, of
  course, you refer to something else entierely, such as in "go, go, go!"
  where the last "go" would be the third root.

--
Erik Naggum, Oslo, Norway

From: Barry Margolin
In article <················@naggum.no>, Erik Naggum  <····@naggum.no> wrote:
>* Bruce Hoult
>| Erik perhaps could have mentioned that "third root" is also perfectly
>| acceptable English.
>
>  No, I could not.  /You/ could have mentioned this, which is contrary to an
>  amazing array of reference works, both online and offline.

Although the term "cube root" is the common one, I think "third root" would
be well understood.  There's no special term for all the other roots,
they're all just known by their ordinal numbers: fourth root (this could be
called "tesseract root", but AFAIK it's not), fifth root, etc.  "Third
root" fits into this pattern, so I can't imagine any confusion over it.

"Third square root" on the other hand, is definitely confusing.  When I
first saw that subject, my first thought was "the first square root of 4 is
2, the second one is -2, I wonder what he's thinking the third one would
be?"

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA